05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Audio additions to the shaker 500

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/07, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio additions to the shaker 500

So I'm putting together my list of mods since my 2008 is still not here(hopefully end of August). I have a White GT/CS on the way and want to setup a subwoofer in the trunk. I have been looking at the MTX and Scosche boxes on Crutchfield and other sites. They seem to have some good reviews and I noticed searching here that a lot of people have gone this route.

I currently have an old Kicker IX402 amp and a kicker substation in my truck that I installed myself. It gave me enough bass behind the seat to round out that car stereo. I did a good job setting it up an it has worked great. I was thinking of maybe getting the kicker amp wired in the back to the rear speakers which I will likely replace. This amp is a classic from back in 98-99. It should do ok for the back speakers I think.

I want to at least keep the Shaker in the car during the warranty period and do what I can to the system to improve it. Upgrade rear speakers with the IX 402 and add an amp/sub neatly packaged in the trunk. I don't want to lose my trunk doing these installs.

So enough about me. I would like some speaker recommendations and amp recommendations for the sub I will add. I am leaning towards the Scosche box but the sub and amp are still undecided for me right now. I am considering buying an amp/wiring/install from a shop if they can do it neat and clean. I'll do it myself if its too expensive. Is there any reason to consider the MTX box instead? Pictures would be awesome. I have seen some through the search option but some in this thread would be awesome. Where are the best places to mount the amp/amps?

oh, I do not want the car to rattle. I just want some nice clean base. I listen to hip hop, RandB, Rock, Classic Rock, alternative, etc.
Old 8/28/07, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by CarRamRod
oh, I do not want the car to rattle. I just want some nice clean base. I listen to hip hop, RandB, Rock, Classic Rock, alternative, etc.
Hmm... I listen to hip hop, alternative, and trance. I already have 3 rattles in my car that correspond with the bass-notes when I listen at a reasonable volume.. on my STOCK shaker 500 system.

Good luck getting clean bass.

But yeah, I'm sort of in the same boat as well. I have the Scosche 12" custom-fit enclosure waiting to be installed (bought it a month before the car came). I'm probably going to have to invest in alot of dynamat and whatever it is people use these days to eliminate rattles.
Old 8/29/07, 06:59 AM
Cobra Member

I have 300 yards of eDead V1se2 and 3 gallons of eDead liquid in my car and it STILL rattles. That's not counting all the weather stripping, sponges, and rope caulk being used in various places.
Old 8/29/07, 08:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

As far as running the wiring goes, you should definitely do it yourself. It's really simple in the S197. I HATE doing wiring of any sort (not a fan of electrical work lol), and have very little experience doing it, and it only took me probably half an hour to run all the wiring in my car.

I installed an Infinity Basslink 10" powered subwoofer for a week or so, but I really felt that the stock Shaker system provided enough bass for me, so I took it back out. While it was in though, it definitely provided some nice clean extra punch.
Old 8/29/07, 04:11 PM
Cobra Member

That's beacuase, as afar as pre-made powered subs go, the Basslink is the best to date. That Alpine/Tymphani LAT box is interesting, but I haven't messed with it yet.
Old 8/29/07, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
That's beacuase, as afar as pre-made powered subs go, the Basslink is the best to date. That Alpine/Tymphani LAT box is interesting, but I haven't messed with it yet.
It's definitely a quality unit. I had it in my previous car for 3 years, and never had a single issue with it. It's always worked great and sounded fantastic, and it must be pretty durable, because I've usually got my music turned up pretty loud.
Old 8/31/07, 06:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Well now I am thinking of adding a Infinity Basslink 10" powered subwoofer or a 12... of the same type. Do you guys have any pictures of one of those setups?