05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Anyone know where I can tap into a 12v source?

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/05, 01:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to mount my G-Tech permanently and I don't want to use the cigarette lighter for power. So I bought a spare power cable and I want to cut it and tap it into a 12v power source. Anyone know where I can find one somewhere in the driver side foot well? I would prefer one that turns on and off with the ignition.

Any help is appreciate.

Thanks
Rob
Old 4/29/05, 01:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't know of one for the driver's side foot well, but in the fuse box in the passenger side foot well, there's a fuse for "OD shut off" or something like that. Check the owner's manual for exact location within the fuse panel. Other's here have used that for a compass/mirror, and I used it to power the light on my Autometer gauges.
Old 4/29/05, 01:53 PM
GT Member

Ya I just wanted to be lazy and use something close to the drivers side but that one sounds like it might work out. How exactly do I tap into something on the fuse box? I am used to tapping into a wire.

Thanks
Old 4/29/05, 01:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The passenger side footwell fuse panel is the best place to go. I ran my XM receiver power there, purchased an Add-a-fuse (I think that is what it is called) kit from AutoZone. It worked really well.
Old 4/29/05, 02:00 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can buy a wire tap that piggy backs over a fuse in a fuse box. It essentially gives a double fuse on 1 fuse box connection and it has a wire sticking out of it (positive end). Stick in whatever fuse you want to use, plus the one that was already in it, and connect it to whatever you're installing. Tie the negative end to a screw on the body and you've got your circuit. You can buy these in the fuse section of Pepboys. I just installed a start button from a Honda S2000 today and will be posting pics up later. You can use the same concept for your application.
Old 5/2/05, 09:19 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tiberius1701@April 29, 2005, 3:58 PM
The passenger side footwell fuse panel is the best place to go. I ran my XM receiver power there, purchased an Add-a-fuse (I think that is what it is called) kit from AutoZone. It worked really well.
yes look here

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=351583
Old 5/3/05, 07:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by dustindu4@April 29, 2005, 3:03 PM
you can buy a wire tap that piggy backs over a fuse in a fuse box. It essentially gives a double fuse on 1 fuse box connection and it has a wire sticking out of it (positive end). Stick in whatever fuse you want to use, plus the one that was already in it, and connect it to whatever you're installing. Tie the negative end to a screw on the body and you've got your circuit. You can buy these in the fuse section of Pepboys. I just installed a start button from a Honda S2000 today and will be posting pics up later. You can use the same concept for your application.
At Pep Boys, it's called "Add-a-Circuit". I just used one for the power mirror I installed.

Be sure you get the one for mini fuses! I planned ahead and bought the large size only to find out in the middle of my mirror project that the mini size was needed. Had to stop and go back to visit Manny, Moe and jack to get the right size!