05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Anyone add subs to their mustang

Search this Thread

Old 1/24/08 | 08:38 PM

Anyone add subs to their mustang

Just wondering if anyone built a box for their subs, and if they have the dimensions. I am thinking about building my first sub box for my 2 10' kicker subs. I am not sure that it will be easy since my car has a wierd upward ramp in the back 2/3rds of the trunk floor, and on the roof in front of the rear speakers is some sort of metal bar, so the box would have to be very short in length. Any ideas?
Old 1/25/08 | 07:25 AM
GT Member

Yes...I do....

Don't....just don't.
Old 1/25/08 | 07:41 AM
NTTAWWT

Take to a place that specializes in radio, it might be more expensive, but it's worth it for some things.
Old 1/25/08 | 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeeeeaaaaa your project sounds more like it belongs in an ESCO-LADE instead of a mustang
Old 1/25/08 | 10:25 AM
V6 Member

I think I would go this route if I was going to do something: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...Amplifier.html
Old 1/25/08 | 10:34 AM
I lust for a M24

Since the stock stereo is weak to say the least, since I couldn't care less about other people's opinions, and since I'll actually try and give you an answer to the question. I don't have any measurements w/ me, PM me later in case I forget to measure/post this weekend.

Old 1/25/08 | 11:02 AM
Banned

subs

I just upgraded the Shaker 1000 box that came with the car by having the box painted red to match my seats, installed better quality subs, and had a matching amp rack installed. See the link below for the picture.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...3&d=1175021278
Old 1/25/08 | 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

It was the first mod I did. Two phoneix gold xenon 10's in a sealed box with a directed 1200 watt amp. I don't have the dimensions but I know that it's slightly under 1 cubic foot per chamber. It's just a prefab box but it fits. With a custom enclosure, you should be able fit in a nice vented box with plenty of room to spare if you plan and measure correctly. Good luck.
Old 1/25/08 | 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Take to a place that specializes in radio, it might be more expensive, but it's worth it for some things.
+1 ( Check out my post inthe interior section )
Old 1/25/08 | 01:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I see posts on everyone installing MDF sub boxes in the trunk... but has anyone looked at upgrading the existing subs in the doors and loading them with more (better) juice? I know there are a couple high end audio manufacturers (Focal for one) that make small diameter subs. I guess the space would have to be sealed in order to tune it, but that can't be any more difficult than fabricating a fiberglass enclosure and removing the door panels....

Also, maybe upgrading the stock 6x8 speakers? I would think it'd be easy to get both much better Sq and higher SPL without a trunk box. Plus not having a bix box in the trunk would have the benefit of being easier to make it a stealth install.
Old 1/25/08 | 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

funny

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
Also, maybe upgrading the stock 6x8 speakers? I would think it'd be easy to get both much better Sq and higher SPL without a trunk box. Plus not having a bix box in the trunk would have the benefit of being easier to make it a stealth install.
Old 1/25/08 | 11:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by essque
funny
Err, I meant better Sq and SPL than stock. Believe me, I know what a trunk delete sound system is capable of....
Old 1/26/08 | 12:16 AM
Bullitt Member

gotcha. there's a member here named infinity who seems to reside in the interior forums but he knows his stuff. this post should probably be relocated there.
Old 1/31/08 | 10:42 PM

Well I measured the trunk and I am just more confused. I want the box to start from were the weird angle starts and go back to the rear seats. The angle is 9 In. going up, then were it flattens out its 7 In. to the rear seats. Heres a pic.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 2/1/08 | 06:26 AM
I Have No Life

Moved to the Interior and Audio mods section.

You could easily build your own box if you are handy with the proper tools for the task. I got started over 20 years ago in car stereo installations and yes, my first sub box was a simple rectangle design. You have to start somewhere right? Just make sure you know the proper enclosure size for your subs and go from there. If you are not comfortable in building your own box (or willing to waste money trying to build one) then you are definately better off getting it done by professionals.
Old 2/1/08 | 06:27 AM

I saw someone with one 12" sub mounted in the center (maybe an Alpine Type-R, I don't remember), on a flat vertical plate that existed at the area where the trunk begins to slant upwards.

Personally, I have an amp rack right where your horizontal black line is, if that black line is on the floor of the trunk, and all my amps are behind it.
Old 2/1/08 | 06:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by essque
gotcha. there's a member here named infinity who seems to reside in the interior forums but he knows his stuff. this post should probably be relocated there.

You guys are going to make my head swell Thanks.

For a pair of tens, if you want to go the real easy route, theres a couple of places sell specific enclosures on e-bay that fit very well, and they're built nicely. Or, you can go to an internet "boutique" builder- I'd suggest Fisher Customs for this one- since I've seen an enclosure he built for this car.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpo...09&postcount=6
Old 2/1/08 | 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Since the stock stereo is weak to say the least, since I couldn't care less about other people's opinions, and since I'll actually try and give you an answer to the question. I don't have any measurements w/ me, PM me later in case I forget to measure/post this weekend.

WOW that is one clean system you got there. before i bought mine i was planning on putting atleast one 10" in the trunk but i just kinda grew out of the whole crazy loud audio scene. i still might put one back there but not so other people can hear me coming down the street. thats what my future O/R-H with remote controlled cutouts will be for

but yea, that really is a nice install you got there. is that a box or just one piece mounted against the rear seat in the trunk
Old 2/1/08 | 06:13 PM
I lust for a M24

3 pieces:

In order to deal with the irregular trunk shape, I built it in pieces, and took advantage of the opportunity to create a little storage nook behind the left rear seat.

16" in the front

13.5" on the support

and 12" for the rest

Obviously not the best or cleanest way, but it gets the job done, I did it myself and I'm satisfied w/ it. Only cost me a couple sheets of MDF and a few bucks vinyl from Joann Fabrics.
Old 2/2/08 | 02:31 PM

Thanks for the pics 05gtocd.

Quick Reply: Anyone add subs to their mustang