05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Another Homelink installation, plus leather armrest and shift boot install

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/11, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Homelink installation, plus leather armrest and shift boot install

A few center console mods, covered in one post.

I purchased the leather shift boot and leather armrest cover from AMustangRocksLeather. I went with the real leather with white stiching (to match the exterior of the car). Shipped out very quickly, installation was a breeze, and they are both a wonderful product. The leather is top notch quality, feels better than the leather on the seats. Very supple. Very very very happy with the purchase.

Shift Boot

Armrest cover

Homelink Install
You can see the Homelink installation peeking out from under the armrest (just behind the cup holders) in the previous picture. I searched for a few examples on installation in a Mustang, and the most common placed seemed to be the overhead console. But, the switch for the convertible top is there, so that was a no go.

I did some more digging, and I found this image (click here), and I liked the placement but I didn't like the aftermarket look of it. Then I found this page (click here) and liked the installation in the center console, but due to the shape of where i wanted to mount it I couldn't surface mount the control box. So the last link that I referenced was this remote mount done on an Audi A3 (link here).

I followed the A3 instructions to wire up the Homelink transmitter to three remote mounted buttons. Those buttons are mounted underneath the center console top panel.

I had to grind down a little bit of the bottom of the center console top in order for the buttons to work and not be pressed when the console was put back together. The Homelink button panel was then mounted to the center console top, and the rubber button bottoms were trimmed down (again, so they wouldn't constantly be pressing the remote mount buttons when the console was put back together). Here's the finished product:

Old 10/5/11, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks great! I need to do something similar. I hate the two garage door openers on the visor.
Old 10/7/11, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks good brian. thats a pretty sweet homelink setup. perfect spot, very cool and great idea and install. looking at the shift boot, is that glue on the leather on that frt corner? if it is, 3m adhesive remover will remove it, then a coat of leather conditioner/cleaner will shine it up. nice job wrapping those corners though, i know its a tricky install

Last edited by amustangrocks; 10/7/11 at 04:51 PM.