05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Advice for novice please: speakers/amp '06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/10, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for novice please: speakers/amp '06 GT

06 GT coupe with Shaker 500 head unit.

I'm looking to upgrade the door and rear deck speakers. (Eventually will get new head unit). I'm considering the Infinity 6832CF (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086832...32&ssi=0&tp=93). Right now, if you buy two pair, you get a JVC KS-AX4302 amp for free at Crutchfield.(http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KSA4...02.html?tp=115)

Any opinions on these speakers/amp? How do Alpine or Polk compare within the same price range ($100/or)?

Also, I am capable of installing the speakers on my own, but I really don't know much about amp wiring, crossover, etc. I know the Shaker 500 has a stock amp under the dash. Is it difficult to install a new amp/speakers while maintaining the stock door subs and head unit? Can someone briefly describe how this is done? I'm mainly unsure about how the new amp would be wired.

Oh - why does Crutchfield say that these speakers won't fit? Previous Infinity models of the same size fit - why not these?
Old 2/23/10, 03:55 AM

Infinity speakers are excellent, IMHO. I have the following setup using the Shaker 500 head unit:

INFINITY KAPPA 693.9i (rear deck)
INFINITY KAPPA 682.9CF (doors)
MTX ThunderForm FORD Mustang Subwoofer Box w/ Infinity 1262W Subwoofer
Infinity Reference 5350a Amplifier

and am really happy with how great Infinity speakers sound. Not really sure if the 2 channel amp will be all that useful but the price would be right!

-Wayne
Old 2/23/10, 01:51 PM
GT Member

I think what wayne is trying to say, is....
If you have that amp the only think you would really be able to do with it is power a sub. You would need a 4 channel amp if you were going to power your door speakers with it. I wouldn't want to only power 2 of my speakers with an amp.
Thats weird on the not fitting deal. I don't know why they wouldn't. You should call them up and talk to them. It seems as if the mounting depth is sufficient.
Old 3/3/10, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by jodadejSS06GT
I think what wayne is trying to say, is....
If you have that amp the only think you would really be able to do with it is power a sub. You would need a 4 channel amp if you were going to power your door speakers with it. I wouldn't want to only power 2 of my speakers with an amp.
Thats weird on the not fitting deal. I don't know why they wouldn't. You should call them up and talk to them. It seems as if the mounting depth is sufficient.
Generally subwoofer amps are separate from regular speaker amps. For example, in the stock mustang, the door subs have two additional amps (yes, each amp only gets 1 speaker).

This is generally done because subwoofers have a much higher power requirement than regular speakers (lower frequency, same volume = require more power.. for the physics.. see wikipedia). I need a single 1000watt amp to power my subwoofer in the trunk, but there's no way I could find a 4-way, or 5-way amp that has 1000watts per channel. Also, there might be some hardware optimization in there specific to lower freqs, not sure.. but the general practice is not to hook up subs to the output of a typical 4-channel amp.
Old 3/3/10, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rash
06 GT coupe with Shaker 500 head unit.

I'm looking to upgrade the door and rear deck speakers. (Eventually will get new head unit). I'm considering the Infinity 6832CF (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086832...32&ssi=0&tp=93). Right now, if you buy two pair, you get a JVC KS-AX4302 amp for free at Crutchfield.(http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KSA4...02.html?tp=115)

Any opinions on these speakers/amp? How do Alpine or Polk compare within the same price range ($100/or)?

Also, I am capable of installing the speakers on my own, but I really don't know much about amp wiring, crossover, etc. I know the Shaker 500 has a stock amp under the dash. Is it difficult to install a new amp/speakers while maintaining the stock door subs and head unit? Can someone briefly describe how this is done? I'm mainly unsure about how the new amp would be wired.

Oh - why does Crutchfield say that these speakers won't fit? Previous Infinity models of the same size fit - why not these?
The stock door subs and stock door sub amps are matched to each other. They are essentially useless without eachother. An aftermarket sub in the door will typically not get nearly enough power from the stock amps - and conversely, you will not see much of a benefit from upgrading the amps without the door subs. The door subs are 8ohm speakers, and most aftermarket sub/amp's are 2ohm or 4ohm. If you want to upgrade the door subs or amps, you should really replace both at once.

It's probably possible to reuse the wiring, if you're staying within the same power levels. If you just want more bass, I think the easiest route is getting a decent 500W+ amp and a decent sub (12" Alpine Type-R - cheap, loud, and sound good if you're not an audiosnob).. you can put it in a custom fit trunk sub box.

I guess this is discontinued now, but I dunno.. might be able to find one, or find someone else who makes something similar:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eXnyRou...th-12-sub.html

It might be a little more expensive:
amp: $200
trunk sub: $200
trunk sub box: $100
wiring: $100
total: $600

But... I just don't think you will notice a huge difference from upgrading the door subs & amps.
Old 3/5/10, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Actually, I'm mostly interested in upgrading the door speakers and leaving the stock subs as-is. Could I just connect the door speakers to the 2-channel amp and leave the subs as-is? if i also wanted to connect the rear speakers to an amp, could also connect them to the 2-channel amp along with the door speakers or would I need a 4 channel amp?
Old 3/5/10, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rash
Actually, I'm mostly interested in upgrading the door speakers and leaving the stock subs as-is. Could I just connect the door speakers to the 2-channel amp and leave the subs as-is? if i also wanted to connect the rear speakers to an amp, could also connect them to the 2-channel amp along with the door speakers or would I need a 4 channel amp?
Ahhh.. sorry.. I completely misunderstood.

Yeah, you can use a 2-channel amp for your front door speakers, and another 2-channel amp for your rear speakers. If you're asking about connecting all of your speakers to the 2-channel amp - then I would recommend against it. It's technically possible, but it may get tricky with impedance matching, and also you will lose your "fader" setting (where you can control the volume of your rears/fronts separately).

I would highly recommend going w/ a 4 channel amp, like jodadejSS06GT suggested.