05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2008 Factory Nav - Voice clarity issue

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/08, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Factory Nav - Voice clarity issue

When my Factory Nav says a street name it is ussually garbled or it sounds like there is multiple voices stating the street name. An example would be, "make a left onto.. Livingston Court". The only part that would be hard to understand would be "Livingston Court". I know that being able to say a street name as opposed to just "turn Right" was supposed to be a big advance, but the voice clarity is horrible. I am hoping that maybe it is a software problem. Is Your Nav system clear?

I have not yet gone to the dealer for help on this one. If someone else already dealt with it and had it fixed, it would be helpful to know the fix before going to the dealer.

I have only had the car for 2 months so it has had this problem since I picked it up.
Old 11/9/08, 07:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bOPPER
When my Factory Nav says a street name it is ussually garbled or it sounds like there is multiple voices stating the street name. An example would be, "make a left onto.. Livingston Court". The only part that would be hard to understand would be "Livingston Court". I know that being able to say a street name as opposed to just "turn Right" was supposed to be a big advance, but the voice clarity is horrible. I am hoping that maybe it is a software problem. Is Your Nav system clear?

I have not yet gone to the dealer for help on this one. If someone else already dealt with it and had it fixed, it would be helpful to know the fix before going to the dealer.

I have only had the car for 2 months so it has had this problem since I picked it up.
The voice for typical things like "Turn right" and numbers and such appears to be digitally recorded, while the method for saying street names appears to be a voice synthesizer and a text-to-speech algorythm. While the voices are similar, the latter is certainly harder to understand. I often have to glance at the right hand window to see what was said if the names are at all unusual. There is no fix for this that I am aware of.

=Vic=
Old 11/11/08, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

If it helps any (it did for me) you can adjust the volume of the voice relative to the media playing so the voice over is a bit louder over background noise/music.
Old 11/11/08, 04:08 PM

Yes, I figured that you can adjust the Navigation Volume while it is talking with just the volume **** and it holds that volume for good after that. I am going to the dealer to ask about its clarity. I find it hard to believe that this is what the finished product is supposed to sound like. I will let you know what the dealer says about it.

Thanks
Old 11/11/08, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by bOPPER

A prior owner swapped out the Shaker 500 head for a NAVTEQ from an F-150. Works fine but I have the same voice issues, particularly with words of more than 2 syllables.

I get a computer fault every time I start the Nav or try to set a Destination. I can click OK to clear it but it is a pain. The local Ford radio guy tells me it is asking the vehicle if it is an F-150 and it says it is a Mustang back. OOOPS. Does anyone know how I can bring the 2 together???
Old 11/12/08, 06:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jjw368
A prior owner swapped out the Shaker 500 head for a NAVTEQ from an F-150. Works fine but I have the same voice issues, particularly with words of more than 2 syllables.

I get a computer fault every time I start the Nav or try to set a Destination. I can click OK to clear it but it is a pain. The local Ford radio guy tells me it is asking the vehicle if it is an F-150 and it says it is a Mustang back. OOOPS. Does anyone know how I can bring the 2 together???
You need to get the Nav radio programmed, then it will recognize theMustang, accept the speed and dash dimming signals, operate the Shaker subwoofers, and so forth. Cost is around $100 (which is rediculous, but teh going rate).

=Vic=
Old 11/12/08, 11:11 AM

Went to the dealer and the Tech went for a ride with me. The Tech agree's that the street names sound "wacky". He has to call a Rep and get/give some info and call me back.
I am glad that someone agree's with me about the sound. I was about to just deal with it as is.
I will let you know more when I know more.

My Phone just rang and it was the Dealer. They said that some of the early 2008's (this car was Delivered in April) had a bad module in the head somewhere and they will replace the Head as the fix. Sounds too easy to me. We will see.

Last edited by bOPPER; 11/12/08 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11/14/08, 11:48 AM

Thanks. Now to find someone who can do it. The local Ford guy doesn't (or won't) know how...you know...modify their own stuff! Could NavTeq help or is there an aftermarket way to reprogram it.

BTW, the Shaker sub is working fine.
Old 11/14/08, 03:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jjw368
Thanks. Now to find someone who can do it. The local Ford guy doesn't (or won't) know how...you know...modify their own stuff! Could NavTeq help or is there an aftermarket way to reprogram it.

BTW, the Shaker sub is working fine.
I found the place the area dealers use, about 70 miles away, but they wanted about $150 to reprogram my Nav Radio, so I used a service advertised on eBay...Chicagoparts...and they did it for just under $100. It seems as cars get more and more computerized, the radios depend on being able to decode digital signals in order to properly interface with the car. Good luck.

=Vic=
Old 11/14/08, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Beargap
I found the place the area dealers use, about 70 miles away, but they wanted about $150 to reprogram my Nav Radio, so I used a service advertised on eBay...Chicagoparts...and they did it for just under $100. It seems as cars get more and more computerized, the radios depend on being able to decode digital signals in order to properly interface with the car. Good luck.

=Vic=
Thanks much
Old 12/3/08, 02:00 AM

Well the dealer changed the head a couple of weeks ago and it did not change the voice clarity issue. Tomorrow the same dealer is going to put the newest NAV Disk in and see if it helps. If it helps they will give me the disk under warranty, if not, I am out of luck.

Beargap,
I am starting to believe your voice synthesizer text-to-voice algorythm stuff. This might be as good as it gets.

Let you know
Old 12/3/08, 02:23 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a 2008 Job 2 Nav and my voice clarity is clear.
Old 12/5/08, 02:14 PM

The Latest:
Well the dealer has changed the Head unit and updated the disk to the most recent 7P. Sounds the same

They even had 2009 Mustang with the same Nav System & disk. I took it for a ride and it sounded identical. I am truley amazed that this was a $2000 option and this is what the final Product is supposed to sound like, needless to say I am disappointed.