05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2007 Mustang navigation system same as F150?

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/11, 10:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 Mustang navigation system same as F150?

I have a 2007 GT/CS. I also have a 2007 F150 super crew. The F150 came with the navigation system. I want to upgrade the radio in the F150 but would like to swap the navigation radio from the F150 to the Mustang. I am wondering if the F150 navigation radio is the same one that would have come in the Mustang had I chosen that option when I ordered it. I can't imagine two different navigation radios in 2007 but maybe I am wrong. Does anybody have a picture of the stock navigation system that came in a 2007 Mustang?
Old 5/9/11, 05:57 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
I have a 2007 GT/CS. I also have a 2007 F150 super crew. The F150 came with the navigation system. I want to upgrade the radio in the F150 but would like to swap the navigation radio from the F150 to the Mustang. I am wondering if the F150 navigation radio is the same one that would have come in the Mustang had I chosen that option when I ordered it. I can't imagine two different navigation radios in 2007 but maybe I am wrong. Does anybody have a picture of the stock navigation system that came in a 2007 Mustang?
Here's a quick phone camera shot of the Nav radio in an '08 GT. However, I thought the factory only offered Nav beginning in '08? In any event, lots of guys have installed in earlier models, the only issues being that the antenna plug changed at some point (adaptors available) and the vehicle speed was not available to the earliest radios. Neither is a fatal error.

You might need to get the radio reprogrammed to recognize the subwoofers, lighting controls, etc. See if all the functions work, if you want, before doing that, but typically the radios need to be programmed to recognize the particular model of vehicle they are in. Cost is around $100 to get that done.

=Vic=
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Mustang navigation system same as F150?-virtual-dash-underway.jpg  
Old 5/9/11, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the build sheet from when I ordered my 07 Mustang and it listed the navigation as option 58X. My understanding is that in early 2007 it wasn't an option. That one looks identical to my 07 F150 radio except I don't have the chrome on the two top buttons.
Old 5/9/11, 01:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I put one in my 05 from a Mercury Mountaineer. I also had to get it reprogrammed. There are guys on ebay that sell reprogramming services.

Cheers
Old 5/9/11, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Beargap, what are you running on your screen? I've never seen that.
Old 5/9/11, 09:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
He accessed a 'secret' menu were there are a number of different screens that can be accessed. Most of it is changing programming parameters.

The screen shown can show a number of different things, but in early cars, like mine, most are not functional anyways.
Old 5/10/11, 05:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
I have the build sheet from when I ordered my 07 Mustang and it listed the navigation as option 58X. My understanding is that in early 2007 it wasn't an option. That one looks identical to my 07 F150 radio except I don't have the chrome on the two top buttons.
I think the "change" to allow having the Nav option was to provide the vehicle speed on the radio harness. That does 2 things to make the in-dash Nav work better (although not required): It allows speed-sensitive volume control for the audio, but more important for Nav functions is that it allows the radio to continue to track position even if enough GPS satellites are not available to calculate position. It does the latter by using an internal compass and angular velocity sensors, which when combined with the vehicle speed allows smooth tracking through tunnels, among tall buildings, or in northern latitudes where the satellite signals might get weak. So, if your late-'07 has that option, you should be good to go with a swapped radio, although programming will probably be needed to make everything work right.

To the other poster, yes that is a sensor screen display available on a developer's menu that includes the above info. Not everything is hooked up, but you can display standard time, compass heading, and lateral "G-loads" along with a nifty graph of speed in kph as shown. Other items like system voltage are not connected. Accessing that menu also allows disabling the speed restriction on entering addresses or the full POI menu, which is really worthwhile.

=Vic=

Last edited by Beargap; 5/10/11 at 05:54 AM.
Old 5/10/11, 06:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks!
Quick google search found your other post revealing how to access it. Gotta try this next time I'm in the car.
Old 11/27/11, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Beargap
Here's a quick phone camera shot of the Nav radio in an '08 GT. However, I thought the factory only offered Nav beginning in '08? In any event, lots of guys have installed in earlier models, the only issues being that the antenna plug changed at some point (adaptors available) and the vehicle speed was not available to the earliest radios. Neither is a fatal error.

You might need to get the radio reprogrammed to recognize the subwoofers, lighting controls, etc. See if all the functions work, if you want, before doing that, but typically the radios need to be programmed to recognize the particular model of vehicle they are in. Cost is around $100 to get that done.

=Vic=
When you say that the vehicle speed was not available to the earliest radio's do you mean,

A- The earlier harness's for the radio's do not have a vss signal

or

B- The early Nav radio's dont accept a vss signal?

I'm really inclined to think you meant A but that shouldn't be that hard of a task to add.
Old 11/28/11, 05:23 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 07REDGTCS
When you say that the vehicle speed was not available to the earliest radio's do you mean,

A- The earlier harness's for the radio's do not have a vss signal

or

B- The early Nav radio's dont accept a vss signal?

I'm really inclined to think you meant A but that shouldn't be that hard of a task to add.
The VSS wasn't available on the harness, or in the right format for the radio, from what I understand. I would think that means that pre-'07's do not have speed controlled volume as an option, either, but haven't explored that.

=Vic=
Old 11/28/11, 11:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I have an 05 and my shaker 500 did have the speed volume control ...