05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

'06 Mustang Convertible SQ build

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/07, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Mustang Convertible SQ build

Most of the projects are "in-progress" will post up more pics as things are completed, so check back often! http://www.midrivers.com/~redline1/mustangsq.htm

Clarion Double DIN MAX675VD DVD Receiver
Zapco i-force 6.5" components
Zapco i-force 12" sub
Zapco i-force 100x4 amplifier
custom fiberglass enclosure

to come:
custom fiberglass "a-pillars"
custom trunk lid
custom "sliding" amp rack
EQ/processor (yet to be determined)
Old 3/16/07, 10:51 AM

Here's a pic of the finished custom box - rest is still in progress...
Attached Thumbnails '06 Mustang Convertible SQ build-subbox04.jpg  
Old 3/16/07, 03:09 PM
GT Member

oh man, i wish you could send me a list of what sizes of baords you cut for your sub box. IM dying to do that, but dont have the know how let alone the tools needed to make that box. But, if you had the demnsions of all the peices, i would love you for a very long time If you dont, thats understandable. I love the way you mounted the box. Looks very clean. I plan to do tha same with my l5's (10's) and then mount the amps in the wheel well with a plexi covering with a pop off panel so it can be hiddne and groceries/parts could still be placed in the trunk.

nice work, love the pictures.
Old 3/17/07, 08:56 AM

if you click on the link above, there are quite a few pics of the build - sorry I didn't measure the pieces, but I started with the base/floor and went from there....I believe Elemental Designs is working on getting one build for production and Scosche has one available, but it comes loaded with one of their subs.
Old 3/18/07, 01:32 AM
Cobra Member

Scosche, JLAudio, and MTX all have boxes made for the passengers' side corner like that. All are available loaded or empty, and the MTX is also available with an amp built-in. All contain 1 12" woofer, or space for one. I think all 3 are spec'd at 1.25 cubic feet sealed, also.

Here's the Scosche with a SoundStream Exact 12"
Old 3/18/07, 02:11 PM

wow, I sure like the way mine fits compared to the one you posted the pic of - I guess it was worth the hassle after all
Old 3/18/07, 06:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dbjunkies
wow, I sure like the way mine fits compared to the one you posted the pic of - I guess it was worth the hassle after all
The one posted is the Scoshe. It doesn't fit worth a ****, really. The hardware doesn't match up, and they make no mention of what to do with the carpet. I folded the carpet properly (after the pic), and I've since gotten bolts that are proper length for the brackets. The JL actually fits the best, but I can have the Scoshe out in about 2 minutes. It won't matter, it's temporary anyway. I have someone working on some custom subs for the front doors, and if they work, I'll replace those and place another pair in the rear deck.
Old 3/19/07, 04:31 PM
GT Member

Well i have two Kicker l5 10's, and want another for the drivers side as well. But cant find someone who sells both in a reasonably made box at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the pics, that should help. If you feel like making some cash, make me a box for each side . I contacted a few places about making custom boxes, but locally they are way overpriced (300 per box), and the ones i find on the interent dont seem very good (atleast the ones i can fit my square subs into).
Old 3/19/07, 05:54 PM

the driver's side would be much more difficult for the simple fact there is not as much room on that side--also, without doing some testing the cancellation of the subs firing towards each other might outway the gain you would get from having two subs as compared to having one. That's why I went with one twelve instead. Just thinkin' out loud again
Old 3/20/07, 11:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dbjunkies
the driver's side would be much more difficult for the simple fact there is not as much room on that side--also, without doing some testing the cancellation of the subs firing towards each other might outway the gain you would get from having two subs as compared to having one. That's why I went with one twelve instead. Just thinkin' out loud again
i was hoping 1-10 would do, but they had buy one get one free at a local store, so figured why not. For the cancelation, was going to test it out and see. Wondering if changing the phase 180 degrees would counter it. Didnt think about the space yet. Let me know how the one 12 works out for you. How much airspace is inside that box?
Old 3/21/07, 07:09 AM
Cobra Member

Maybe you can use a pair, but with loading panels? Then, no chance of cancellation, and a free drop in f3, plus some gain in SPL.
Old 3/21/07, 08:27 AM

that should work, take up a little more space-if that's an issue or not
Old 5/10/07, 09:12 AM

finally get some time to post some updates-----

finished sound-deadening doors - edead rules!~

placement of tweeters--decided against pods-grill cloth over a-pillars in the works..

amp rack/case - will install cooling fans later....

frosted plexi 'stang cover - yellow neons yet to come...well, better get back to it!
Old 5/23/07, 03:56 PM

A-pillars done--decided against the fiberglass pods
Old 5/23/07, 08:02 PM
Cobra Member

Nice pillars. Your tweets blended a bit better/lower profile than mine. Did you try different positioning for SQ? I had much better results with the higher mounting position, but that will differ for everyone, of course.
Old 5/24/07, 08:22 AM

I did try quite a few different options, and it seemed like the farther I got away from the mid, I lost a lot of the "smoothness" in transition of tones, if you know what I mean. I'm using the Zapco tweeters which are huge, and play alot of mid as well. Also, I can compensate for alot of that with my Orion dual 30-band EQ. Thanks.
Old 5/30/07, 06:53 PM

little change in plans - scrapped amp rack/tray idea---just didn't look right in the trunk.

took up some space elsewhere....

into
Orion DEQ30 in glovebox!

working on amp mounting/trim now.....
Old 6/5/07, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
Scosche, JLAudio, and MTX all have boxes made for the passengers' side corner like that. All are available loaded or empty, and the MTX is also available with an amp built-in. All contain 1 12" woofer, or space for one. I think all 3 are spec'd at 1.25 cubic feet sealed, also.

Here's the Scosche with a SoundStream Exact 12"
Those pre-fab boxes will not fit the convertible though....I have been the the JL Audio factory...and the R&D guy says he is working on one to fit the trunk in a Vert.
Old 6/6/07, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tampa07GTCS
Those pre-fab boxes will not fit the convertible though....I have been the the JL Audio factory...and the R&D guy says he is working on one to fit the trunk in a Vert.
That is true. Jason Sayan and Manville Smith usually keep me fairly well updated on the JL stuff. I think Q-Logic has one for the verts already available...
Old 6/8/07, 08:41 AM

I'm finished!!! Well, at least for now----

Zapco amp finally mounted, cover panel.

trunk lid cover panel finished, couple different views

sorry pics are bad--all I had was my phone...road trip time to enjoy it now!!