05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Well another 05 gets drilled

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/07 | 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well another 05 gets drilled

A Civil Service Officer pulled out in front to me on Monday Memeorial Day and as they say in racing I had no where to go. So the front of my baby has taken a big hit. It was approx. a 40 MPH impact althought I was on the brakes hard, airbags did not deploy. Hood, Bumper, and both front fenders gone, radiator. It looks like mechanically it is ok did not push back to motor. Only, aftermarket part to be lost was my hireman grill pony. Thankfully my wife and I were not seriously injured, minor cuts and bruises.

I guess now I will make some body changes. I think I'll get the SHR louvers and have them painted while they are fixing the car since they should be able to get a real good paint match. CDC Classic Chin Spoiler and possible a California Dream Hood. I think I found the best place to get the chin spoiler, partshopper 219.00 incl shipping. As far as the hood anybody know a good place to get it from.
Attached Thumbnails Well another 05 gets drilled-wreck-001.jpg   Well another 05 gets drilled-wreck-002.jpg  
Old 5/30/07 | 11:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

HOLY CRAP Ben, I'm happy you're ok! That sucks about the car, but atleast both you & your wife are alright. And since the bags didn't blow, it should be (hopefully be) a relatively straight-forward fix.

Good luck getting it done, and keep in touch.
Old 5/30/07 | 11:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

This is a daily topic around here, I am glad to hear you and the wife were not severly injured here.
Old 5/30/07 | 12:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sorry to here it Ben ! We Need to be so fully awake driving these baby's that we need total consentration for what the other guy may or may not do Keep Our Guard Up !
Old 5/30/07 | 12:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've been there , got T-Boned about 2 months ago. I got some things done for free that weren't damaged in the colision , but looked like they might have been. The colision shop also installed my SHR louvers for free. Few things like that and it makes you feel a little better ...
Old 5/30/07 | 02:38 PM
Banned

I have a stock hood sitting around in my garage since I went with the Saleen Clone Job. I will sell it to you cheap if you want a stock hood.
Old 5/30/07 | 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Lightbulb If you need a hood .....

Have one for sale and sitting right here in my living room.

SELL IT TO YOU REALLY CHEAP !!!
Attached Thumbnails Well another 05 gets drilled-cimg1603.jpg   Well another 05 gets drilled-cimg1604.jpg   Well another 05 gets drilled-cimg1605.jpg  
Old 5/30/07 | 08:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sorry to hear that about your car. Glad you and your wife are OK. Your car should be good as new soon!
Old 5/31/07 | 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

what they said sorry for your mishap. Also I am a little surprised no one asked for pics yet.....
So can you post some pics.
Old 5/31/07 | 08:12 PM
Cobra Member

If the bags didn't pop it can't be too terribly horrible. They're threshold speedwise is pretty low. If you were still carrying a bunch of speed and they didn't go off then I'd actually be a bit concerned. I personally hate the darn things, but if they don't work when they're supposed to what's the point of having them. Seat belts work great.
Old 6/1/07 | 11:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bump added pics, over $7,000.00
Old 6/2/07 | 09:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Another GT500 conversion waiting to happen......!

Glad no one was hurt. Take your time mapping out your repair plan.
Old 6/2/07 | 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Glad everyone is OK, but I sure would want to find out why the airbags did not deploy in a 40mph front end collision. Seems I've heard the same thing in another post somewhere. Makes me wonder if there is a problem with the airbags in our cars. You would not want to find that out after the fact in a serious collision. Has anyone brought this up to Ford? Does anyone have any info about the front airbags having any problems deploying?
Old 6/3/07 | 07:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Eleanor Dreaming
Bump added pics, over $7,000.00

That's just a scratch! If you want mods in place of stock parts, you can work it out with the body shop. It's your car and technically your money that they're working with. You should only need to pony up the difference between stock and aftermarket parts. All body and paint labor should be a wash. For example, a GT500 fascia, lights, etc. shouldn't be much of a premium over GT parts with identical labor. Good luck!
Old 6/3/07 | 08:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Judging by the pictures posted, it does not look like a 40mph crash. That looks to me more like a 20mph crash, in which case the airbags would likely not deploy. If they deployed every time you had a little fender bender cars would get totalled left and right during 10mph crashes. Each time an airbag pops is at least $1000 just to replace the airbag and sensor, not to mention any dash/steering wheel damage that takes place during deployment. I've seen many cars that when the airbag pops, especially the pass. side, it takes a chunk of the dash/steering wheel with it.

You weren't hurt, other than bumps and bruises, so the safety system obviously did it's job without the airbags.
Old 6/3/07 | 03:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
Judging by the pictures posted, it does not look like a 40mph crash. That looks to me more like a 20mph crash, in which case the airbags would likely not deploy. If they deployed every time you had a little fender bender cars would get totalled left and right during 10mph crashes. Each time an airbag pops is at least $1000 just to replace the airbag and sensor, not to mention any dash/steering wheel damage that takes place during deployment. I've seen many cars that when the airbag pops, especially the pass. side, it takes a chunk of the dash/steering wheel with it.

You weren't hurt, other than bumps and bruises, so the safety system obviously did it's job without the airbags.

+1 40 MPH impact would have the front wheels about even with the leading edges of the doors. Bags typically pop around 30 MPH for a square front hit. I'd actually guess this was less than 20 MPH at the point of impact. Of course that doesn't make it suck any less!
Old 6/3/07 | 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Could have been well under 40 to be hionest, I know the limit on that stretch is 40 and I was coming to the intersection and was on the brakes hard trying to avoid her. I just forgot to look down to see exactly how fast I was going at impact. HAHA I was told I think by the insurance company the airbags are based on the rate of deceleration.
Old 6/4/07 | 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Ben,
Sorry about your car but glad to hear you and the wife are okay. The car can be fixed. I would tend to believe you speed at impact was under 40 mph... however you might check and see if you car has one of those "black boxes" in it that may have recorded a number of details. Some cars have them and some do not. Glad your okay!!!!
Scott
Old 6/4/07 | 04:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GTRacerX
Have one for sale and sitting right here in my living room.

SELL IT TO YOU REALLY CHEAP !!!

Interesting decor you have. "Modern Mustang"?? Sorry.. had to say it. BTW, the mods you have made to your car look great!
Scott
Old 6/6/07 | 01:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Your car with the wheels would look KILLER with a CS front bumper on it! Just a thought! Glad your okay, and the car can be fixed.

Quick Reply: Well another 05 gets drilled