05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/06 | 06:40 AM
V6 Member

valve covers

Hey did anyone pain there valve covers yet? I would like to paint mine Yellow but am not sure how it would hold up. Plus I would not wan to paint the factory ones either. Any ideas?
Old 10/17/06 | 07:12 AM
Cobra R Member

I painted mine, infact mustang monthly has an article in how to change out your cam covers (yea old school is Valve cover). I have painted both of my mustangs covers. Just got to disconnect a bunch of wires and such. The gasket is reusable. And if you got basic hand tools (need atleast a universal for your sockets), you can do it. You gotta pull the coil packs (no biggie). Wash it with a degreaser (I used simple green) and used some sand paper to rough up the surface, used engine primer and then painted it. Mask off the areas you don't want painted. It will take you about the same time to prep and paint as it does to remove and install them.

If you want to buy after market powder coat....this is one location

http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=54652

There are others.
if you paint them, You must tape a small cloth over the painted portion to keep it from getting scratched as you install them.

IF you have a 07, for some weird reason Ford put a tab of plastic on the bottom of the battery box protruding toward the engine. it has no function. I used a hacksaw blade to wack it off and it came off easily. You will need to cut it off to get the cover off.

Good luck
Old 10/17/06 | 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Question

Originally Posted by traffic142
I painted mine, infact mustang monthly has an article in how to change out your cam covers (yea old school is Valve cover). I have painted both of my mustangs covers. Just got to disconnect a bunch of wires and such. The gasket is reusable. And if you got basic hand tools (need atleast a universal for your sockets), you can do it. You gotta pull the coil packs (no biggie). Wash it with a degreaser (I used simple green) and used some sand paper to rough up the surface, used engine primer and then painted it. Mask off the areas you don't want painted. It will take you about the same time to prep and paint as it does to remove and install them.

If you want to buy after market powder coat....this is one location

http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=54652

There are others.
if you paint them, You must tape a small cloth over the painted portion to keep it from getting scratched as you install them.

IF you have a 07, for some weird reason Ford put a tab of plastic on the bottom of the battery box protruding toward the engine. it has no function. I used a hacksaw blade to wack it off and it came off easily. You will need to cut it off to get the cover off.

Good luck
Which Issue of Mustang Monthly? Also how do you get the chrome look?
Are they painted with chrome paint or plated chrome?
Old 10/17/06 | 05:48 PM
GT Member

Painted mine with Base/Clear as is on the exterior of our cars...preceded by an aluminum acid etch primer...They have been painted like this for 4000 miles with no issues what so ever, they still look just as good as when I first reinstalled them...you can also remove the battery box fairly easily and save your self the hacksawing.
Attached Thumbnails valve covers-plenum-cover-002.jpg   valve covers-plenum-cover-001.jpg  
Old 10/17/06 | 09:01 PM
V6 Member

Hey looks awsome.. So you took them off the car? Did you go to ford to get amatch on the paint. And i guess its not heat paint then.. Also not sure If i should buy a new set and then paint them????
Old 10/18/06 | 05:04 AM
GT Member

Removed them from the Car on a Thursday evening, Cleaned masked off the grommets and vents I was not removing. Primed with three coats. Painted Friday Mid Day and clear coated. Reinstalled Saturday morning wrapped in T-shirts. Started the car and let it warm up and then I didn't drive it until Sunday. I went to an auto body paint supplier...PPG Store and had them mix the paint for me...they have all the codes. This is not heat paint and it has been flawless. Even after a long drive you can still touch the valve covers with your bare hand...they are hot yes but not hot like headers. My think was they paint motors to match cars on all the hot rod shows like overhaulin...and some of the paint supply guys told me it should not be any problem provided they are cleaned and primed properly to begin with.
Old 10/18/06 | 06:33 AM
V6 Member

Sounds great.. Hey are the valve covers aluminum or plastic? Anddo you know how much a set costs from ford??
Old 10/18/06 | 08:21 AM
GT Member

They are not plastic, the V6 Cars have some sort of Composite ones on them the GT covers look and feel like aluminum but may be some other alloy... No idea on new ones except for the Ford Racing ones that go $300-$400 for Silver, Black, Blue, and Chromed.

FYI I was able to re-use Gaskets as they are rubber...and were about new. Also requires 2 small beads of Permatex or the like where the front engine cover meets the head.
Old 10/18/06 | 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Jadeuel: Did you a spray painter?
Old 10/18/06 | 10:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by First Stang
Jadeuel: Did you a spray painter?

Spray cans for the Primer, HVLP for the base coats and clear coats.

And a very Cheap one at that...but I am not doing production work so I couldn't justify the price of a high end gun...Cheap import set of guns from auto body paint supply store...Primer Gun/Base Material Gun/Touch up Gun just over $100.00
Old 10/18/06 | 08:02 PM
GTR Member

I want to buy chrome ones but have zero time to install..How many hours would it take a qualified mechanic to do this?/Mine charges 70.00 an hour.
Also MTAS (member on this forum) said he had his done a while ago by a guy that would send you painted ones for a low price as long as you sent your old ones to him..anyone doing that anymore?/
Old 10/18/06 | 08:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
I want to buy chrome ones but have zero time to install..How many hours would it take a qualified mechanic to do this?/Mine charges 70.00 an hour.
Also MTAS (member on this forum) said he had his done a while ago by a guy that would send you painted ones for a low price as long as you sent your old ones to him..anyone doing that anymore?/
My brother and I changed mine out in about 2.5 hours in my driveway with BSing and such... so I would think a mechanic should be able to do it in 1.5 or so.

-danny
Old 10/18/06 | 08:33 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by pegasusphototx
My brother and I changed mine out in about 2.5 hours in my driveway with BSing and such... so I would think a mechanic should be able to do it in 1.5 or so.

-danny
thanks
Old 10/19/06 | 01:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jadeuel
They are not plastic, the V6 Cars have some sort of Composite ones on them the GT covers look and feel like aluminum but may be some other alloy... No idea on new ones except for the Ford Racing ones that go $300-$400 for Silver, Black, Blue, and Chromed.

FYI I was able to re-use Gaskets as they are rubber...and were about new. Also requires 2 small beads of Permatex or the like where the front engine cover meets the head.

their magnesium
Old 10/19/06 | 01:25 PM
V6 Member

Sounds great again.. Yeah I will def try to buy another set to paint then put them on.... Want to keep stock valve covers for resale in the future..
Old 10/19/06 | 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I had mine done from the same guy as MTAS. Cost us around $120 shipped for powder coated. Would seem to me that after all the parts, paint and time, may be worth just getting a local powder coater to do them for around $100. IMO...

Old 10/19/06 | 05:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by scramblr
I had mine done from the same guy as MTAS. Cost us around $120 shipped for powder coated. Would seem to me that after all the parts, paint and time, may be worth just getting a local powder coater to do them for around $100. IMO...

Didn't think I could find a match for Legend Lime...So I took the sure bet.
Old 10/20/06 | 10:41 AM
V6 Member

Wow.. the red looks great .. Do you have hte number or email of the guy who did yours.. Seems that if they are powder coated for 120.00 its worth it. espaecially knowing that someone already used them and liked it..
Old 10/20/06 | 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

He's out of Florida and isn't doing it any more. I'm sure there's a powder coater somewhere around where you live that can hook you up...
Old 10/20/06 | 05:40 PM
Cobra Member

scramblr- Can you post more pics? Thanks

Quick Reply: valve covers