05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

To those of you with hood pins

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/08, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To those of you with hood pins

Does anyone know the measurements for exact placement of hood pins. Id like to get some hood pins and place them exactly as they are on the Shelby GT cars and was wondering if anyone knew the exact measurements, or anyone with a Shelby GT could you please do me a favor and take some measurements on your hood pins? Thanks!

Also has anyone used the hood pins from American Muscle? What do you think about the quality and how are they holding up?

Last edited by S197 V6; 10/1/08 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10/1/08, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I bought the Scott Drake hood pins. I noticed when I did my homework that there are actually two ways to install them. If you look at the instructions, and where most folks are installing them, the tab that is bolted under the radiator support point outward towards the side of the car. This puts the pins 5" from the front hood edge, 5" from the crease in the hood, and 13" from the side of the hood. On the other hand, I saw that a few folks reversed the tabs so that the hood pins were installed actually closer together and farther from the sides of the hood. I do not know what the measurements for that would be. If you look at most photos of the installed Scott Drake pins, which are the Shelby billet pins, you will see that they sit about 3/4 of the way to the outside of the GT driving lights. The Shelby GT cars came with the stainless flat style pins with lanyards, but I believe the tabs that are used to install them are identical to the Scott Drake billet Shelby pin tabs. Someone can correct me if that is wrong. Oh, and I purchased my Scott Drake pins from American Muscle.
Old 10/2/08, 01:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
I bought the Scott Drake hood pins. I noticed when I did my homework that there are actually two ways to install them. If you look at the instructions, and where most folks are installing them, the tab that is bolted under the radiator support point outward towards the side of the car. This puts the pins 5" from the front hood edge, 5" from the crease in the hood, and 13" from the side of the hood. On the other hand, I saw that a few folks reversed the tabs so that the hood pins were installed actually closer together and farther from the sides of the hood. I do not know what the measurements for that would be. If you look at most photos of the installed Scott Drake pins, which are the Shelby billet pins, you will see that they sit about 3/4 of the way to the outside of the GT driving lights. The Shelby GT cars came with the stainless flat style pins with lanyards, but I believe the tabs that are used to install them are identical to the Scott Drake billet Shelby pin tabs. Someone can correct me if that is wrong. Oh, and I purchased my Scott Drake pins from American Muscle.
Thank you very much for that! I did not even think that there would be instructions on where to put them included with the hood pins, so with that being said I will just go ahead and order them and follow the instructions. Thanks again for the info!
Old 10/2/08, 02:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unlike the 07's and the GT-H's, the 08's came with the billet hood pins and say "Shelby GT" on them. They sell similar versions that come with or without the "Shelby" (no "GT") logo at Shelby Performance Parts. I rented the GT-H and while the flat ones look great, they look like it would be easier to scratch the hood. I would give you the exact measurements except I am in Iraq, and my SGT in in the garage back in the USA. They really make the car stand out.
Old 10/2/08, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 08SGT1977
Unlike the 07's and the GT-H's, the 08's came with the billet hood pins and say "Shelby GT" on them. They sell similar versions that come with or without the "Shelby" (no "GT") logo at Shelby Performance Parts. I rented the GT-H and while the flat ones look great, they look like it would be easier to scratch the hood. I would give you the exact measurements except I am in Iraq, and my SGT in in the garage back in the USA. They really make the car stand out.
That is correct, the new ones are the billet style. There are several threads about the older flat style rusting badly too. There are several threads here about the billet style including some issues with the lanyards rusting. The measurements I gave are for the billet style ones that come on the Shelby but are made by Scott Drake. However, from all of the posts here, and looking at other websites, it appears that the mounts for the older flat style and the new billet style are identical. It is only the pins, lynch pins, and top plate that are different. Both older and newer appear to mount with the metal tab that is sandwiched between the radiator support. Scott Drake offers them with or without the Shelby name on them. There is also another thread where somebody posted up the instructions, but rest assured, they come with nice color instructions for installation. Here is the Scott Drake website: http://www.scottdrake.net/

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 10/2/08 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10/2/08, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you both for the info. Stay safe over there in Iraq and god bless you
Old 10/2/08, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I purchased my Scott Drake pins from American Muscle.
I never knew that AM sold Scott Drake hood pins. All I see on their site are the CDC stick on pins and the FRPP hood pins. Are you sure they're Scott Drake pins???? If they are, do you have a link for them??
Old 10/2/08, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by STANG_IT
I never knew that AM sold Scott Drake hood pins. All I see on their site are the CDC stick on pins and the FRPP hood pins. Are you sure they're Scott Drake pins???? If they are, do you have a link for them??
You are right, I didn't get them from AM, I got them from partscheap.com. I just ordered and received a set of mirror covers made by Midwest Auto Gear from AM and the GT500 splash guards from Ninosports. I confused the AM order with the partscheap.com order. I used partscheap.com on a recommendation in another thread for the SD pins.
Old 10/4/08, 03:40 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by S197 V6
Thank you both for the info. Stay safe over there in Iraq and god bless you
Thanks for the support from back home. TMS is a life-line!
Old 10/4/08, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the support from back home. TMS is a life-line!
Ditto the kudos for your service. Stay safe and come back in one piece!
Old 10/5/08, 08:23 AM
GT Member

Ditto the kudos for your service. Stay safe and come back in one piece!
Thanks again. You guys are the greatest.