05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Are they worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/07, 03:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are they worth it??

Just purchased a set of these from fleabay for like $23 shipped. About the same price as 1 Silverstar. Did I get screwed?? I know they are not true HID but I needed to buy something for the car this week and funds are limited until taxes are paid. They sure get alot of good reviews from people that have them and they are guaranteed for life. Free replacement. Anyone else got a set??
Scott http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUE-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 1/29/07, 05:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8300k is probably NOT the lighting you want. 4300k or or so is closest to daylight...which is the reason that True HID is around 4k-5k.
If you are going for a certain 'look' for your lights then maybe they will be okay.
95% of all the aftermarket bulbs out there provide substandard lighting. When trying to achieve a more blueish,purplish etc light you are losing driving visiblity.
There's alot of misinformation out there and many claiming to have bulbs that are 'close to HID' or 'just as good as HID'......don't believe them. Too many people throw HID bulbs in halogen housings and blind the rest of us. No offense, JMO on the subject.
Old 1/30/07, 04:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GTblackvert
8300k is probably NOT the lighting you want. 4300k or or so is closest to daylight...which is the reason that True HID is around 4k-5k.
If you are going for a certain 'look' for your lights then maybe they will be okay.
95% of all the aftermarket bulbs out there provide substandard lighting. When trying to achieve a more blueish,purplish etc light you are losing driving visiblity.
There's alot of misinformation out there and many claiming to have bulbs that are 'close to HID' or 'just as good as HID'......don't believe them. Too many people throw HID bulbs in halogen housings and blind the rest of us. No offense, JMO on the subject.

No offense taken... So you are saying that their claim to throw more light on the road so I can see better is false? I really don't care about the color they produce. I am not trying to go for "a look", just want to see better. Seems to be hundreds and hundreds of people happy with these bulbs. Anybody else have these?
Scott
Old 1/30/07, 06:08 PM
V6 Member

If people are happy with them....that's all that counts. As far as light output goes, the higher the K rating the less useable driving light. If my info is correct, 4K is white light and anything less the light gets more yellow.
Old 1/31/07, 03:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If you read the info produced by the seller of these bulbs he is saying that the K rating of any bulb is the ability of the light to penetrate deeper into the darkness. From what I have read in other forums a bulb that has a K rating of 6500 is about as bright and as white as it gets. Going above 6500 the light has more of a blueish tint and I agree that it has less total lumens but will project deeper into the darkness. It truely is mumbo jumbo to me. However, I will take some before and after pictures of the stock bulbs verses these bulbs and give an honest opinion of their performance. I am surprised that no one else has chimed in with an opinion of this product. Can 't believe I am the only stang owner to try these on this forum. P.S. Sodaman bought a different set for like 10 bucks shipped and he seems pretty happy up to now. Pay your money and take your changes.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=56820

Scott
Old 1/31/07, 09:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Scott, be careful...make sure that they don't have an excessive wattage rating, which can burn up harnesses (according to what I have read). That is one advantage of going with sylvania and other "name brands"...they keep the correct wattage rating for the bulb
Old 2/1/07, 03:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Scott, be careful...make sure that they don't have an excessive wattage rating, which can burn up harnesses (according to what I have read). That is one advantage of going with sylvania and other "name brands"...they keep the correct wattage rating for the bulb

Hey Mike,
The wattage of these new bulbs is 55/60 watts. I am not sure but I thought that was about the same as the stock bulbs. I am running Silverstars in 2 other vehicles and am happy with the headlites but the fogs kept burning out in around 4-6 weeks. With no guarantee on them. Thats part of the reason I thought I try something else. We'll see.
Scott

Old 2/1/07, 06:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Scott, I think that is the correct wattage, which is good. Other brand's bulbs have higher voltages, which isn't good.
Old 2/12/07, 02:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well... I have answered my own question about whether this bulbs are worth the money or not. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUE-...QQcmdZViewItem
In my opinion they are not. I must admit they have a very nice blue look to them but their claim about increased brightness is not true. Attached are 2 pictures taken from the exact same spot last night with the stock bulbs and the Euro Dezigns bulbs. I think if you take a good look you can tell that you can see around the corner in my driveway and a wooden fence in the picture with the stock bulbs and you cannot see them with the Euro Dezigns. I took the car out for a drive and I am sure I could not see down the road as well. I have already contact the seller on Ebay and he will return my money if I ship them back. I guess I will try a set a Silverstars now. I have been please with them in other cars. I guess this goes to show that you aren't going to get HID brightness for $14.99. Stock bulbs on the left and Euro Dezigns on the right.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Are they worth it??-stock-bulbs-1.jpg   Are they worth it??-euro-bulbs-1.jpg