05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Tailight Bezels in Stainless or Chrome/Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/06, 11:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone seen or installed both of these tailight bezel types? Based upon your experience what is your appearance preference?
Old 1/12/06, 11:31 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Talk to rrobello... and do a search for "taillight bezels"
Old 1/13/06, 10:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Definately the www.mustangtuning ones. Plastic, but they are rounded so they do not look 'flat' from behind. With the silverhorse tail light blackout they look phenomenal
Old 1/13/06, 11:35 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Ive seen both and both have the good and bad, I have the stainless on my ar and I think that it is the better looking of the two and for now until they come out with something better I am keeping them

plastic ones:
pros-they fill the gaps between the lights perfectly to the top surface of the lights
cons-its plastic and you can tell
they dont go over the edge of the light housing
doesnt look OEM
not shiny, cant tell they are on there from a distance
stainless steel ones:
pros-stainless steel, more of an OEM feel/look
shiny and can be seen from a distance
perfect fit
cons-dont fill the gaps to the surface of the lights, instead are sunk in
doesnt go over edge of light housing
can tell they are not OEM when you are up close to it
Old 1/13/06, 01:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think the plastic ones are dead bang perfect and look oem. Several of our techs have asked me already 'what package includes chrome tail lights?'. The mustangtunning ones with the black silverhorse panel look more oem then the front grille
Old 1/13/06, 01:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I'm well qualified to answer this as I've had both on my '05. I started with the stainless ones, and switched. My opinion?

GET THE PLASTIC ONES!!!!

Now the details:

I originally had the flat stainless ones, and they looked pretty good, but there are problems:

1) they're flat as a board and the tape forces them to follow the contour of the lights, leading to potential issues of stress on the tape. At the time I yanked them, I had one corner starting to separate (Note: this wasn't a "surface prep issue, the tape was still attached to BOTH the lens and the bezel. The foam tape itself was actually splitting down the center due to the stainless trying to re-flatten itself)

2) they're not cut well. Mine were mounted as low as they would fit on the lights, and still stuck up farther than the light surface on top, leaving a sharp edge that cut into the paint on the trunk lip (on both sides).

The molded plastic ones are curved to follow the lens contour, fit perfectly, and even it they didn't wouldn't be sharp/hard and damage the trunk paint, and the molded ribs just look much more "pro". The plating on these is beautiful btw. They plated them so heavily, that mine are actually cold to the touch at room temp like metal would be due to heat transfer.

I have no clue what Rrobello is talking about regarding not seeing the plastic ones at a distance, it was the flat stainless ones on mine that couldn't always be seen. Since they were flat like a mirror, they would sometimes "disappear" due to blending in depending on what they were reflecting. The rounded contours of the plastic ones mean the reflected light is coming from multiple directions, so the don't "cloak" themselves....

The plasic ones also look far more "oem" to me. Maybe rrobello is thinking of the multipart plastic trim "kits" that have been floating about on ebay for a long time rather than the one-piece molded ones? :scratch:
Old 1/13/06, 03:07 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally posted by P_Kiley@January 13, 2006, 2:48 PM
I guess I'm well qualified to answer this as I've had both on my '05. I started with the stainless ones, and switched. My opinion?

GET THE PLASTIC ONES!!!!

Now the details:

I originally had the flat stainless ones, and they looked pretty good, but there are problems:

1) they're flat as a board and the tape forces them to follow the contour of the lights, leading to potential issues of stress on the tape.

2) they're not cut well. Mine were mounted as low as they would fit on the lights, and still stuck up farther than the light surface on top, leaving a sharp edge that cut into the paint on the trunk lip.

The molded plastic ones are curved to follow the lens contour, fit perfectly, and even it they didn't wouldn't be sharp/hard and damage the trunk paint, and the molded ribs just look much more "pro". The plating on these is beautiful btw. They plated them so heavily, that mine are actually cold to the touch at room temp like metal would be due to heat transfer.

I have no clue what Rrobello is talking about regarding not seeing the plastic ones at a distance, it was the flat stainless ones on mine that couldn't always be seen. Since they were flat like a mirror, they would sometimes "disappear" due to blending in depending on what they were reflecting. The rounded contours of the plastic ones mean the reflected light is coming from multiple directions, so the don't "cloak" themselves....

The plasic ones also look far more "oem" to me. Maybe rrobello is thinking of the multipart plastic trim "kits" that have been floating about on ebay for a long time rather than the one-piece molded ones? :scratch:
no I am refering to the same ones you are, I dont think either one look OEM, but the problem I have with the plastic ones is that they look plastic, and no they are not shinier than the stainless steel ones at least not the ones I have, you can see mine when driving from a distance behind my car vs the plastic ones you could barely tell were on there when I was only standing about 10 ft behind them at the show. As for fit of the stainless steel ones the ones I got (you can find them in my sig below) fit perfectly. Perfection would be if the plastic ones were made of steel.
Old 1/13/06, 03:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by rrobello@January 13, 2006, 5:10 PM
no I am refering to the same ones you are, I dont think either one look OEM, but the problem I have with the plastic ones is that they look plastic, and no they are not shinier than the stainless steel ones at least not the ones I have, you can see mine when driving from a distance behind my car vs the plastic ones you could barely tell were on there when I was only standing about 10 ft behind them at the show. As for fit of the stainless steel ones the ones I got (you can find them in my sig below) fit perfectly. Perfection would be if the plastic ones were made of steel.
Ok, for the sake of arguement, is the "gas cap" on the rear of the new 'stang mirror finish stainless? Nope, chromed plastic. The grill pony? chromed plastic. The Pony package side emblems? chromed plastic again..... To my mind, the plastic is actually far closer to what constitutes "oem" for trim on the current Mustang than the polished stainless.

That's not to say I'm disputing your right to your preference, if the SS trim set you have fits well, and looks better to you, who am I to suggest it doesn't on your car. On mine, I'm waaaaay happier with the look and the quality-of-fit of the plastic bezels (to the extent of having no regrets that the SS set didn't survive removal well)
Old 1/13/06, 05:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by P_Kiley@January 13, 2006, 5:36 PM
Ok, for the sake of arguement, is the "gas cap" on the rear of the new 'stang mirror finish stainless? Nope, chromed plastic. The grill pony? chromed plastic. The Pony package side emblems? chromed plastic again..... To my mind, the plastic is actually far closer to what constitutes "oem" for trim on the current Mustang than the polished stainless.

That's not to say I'm disputing your right to your preference, if the SS trim set you have fits well, and looks better to you, who am I to suggest it doesn't on your car. On mine, I'm waaaaay happier with the look and the quality-of-fit of the plastic bezels (to the extent of having no regrets that the SS set didn't survive removal well)
Don't forget the trim rings on the interior air vents :P
Old 1/13/06, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by kevinb120@January 13, 2006, 7:18 PM
Don't forget the trim rings on the interior air vents :P
Yeah...them too
Old 1/13/06, 07:29 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just received and installed the stainless steel tailight bezels from Automotive Specialties. The fit seems to be "right on" with no noticeable overlap. I will have to watch for the separation P_Kiley talked about but so far they look great. I have the Silver Horse Racing Honeycomb rear cover and together they make a great combo.
Old 1/13/06, 08:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by tucsondivots@January 13, 2006, 9:32 PM
I just received and installed the stainless steel tailight bezels from Automotive Specialties. The fit seems to be "right on" with no noticeable overlap. I will have to watch for the separation P_Kiley talked about but so far they look great. I have the Silver Horse Racing Honeycomb rear cover and together they make a great combo.
Watch the lip of your trunklid where it curves around your tailights. I thought my fit was okay until I put the Silverhorse panel on and the stainless frames were marking it. That's when I noticed they'd been nicking the trunk paint too (before the Silverhorse was installed). My SS bezels were bought pretty early (when they first came to market), it's always possible they refined the shape a bit since then too.
Old 1/13/06, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by P_Kiley@January 13, 2006, 4:36 PM

My vote (and lots of others) go to Paul regarding the plastic tail bezels. They definately look OEM vs the stainless which are tacky and definately "an add on". The SS fog lamp trim rings were the same, ugly "flat" style stainless steel. They too were ripped off the car because of the look. Rick Harman (www.showlenses.com) just sent me his moulded plastic style (all 1 piece, professionally done, in chrome finish to match the rest of the badging (ala Pauls description of how they're made, ie plastic) and they're PERFECT. So is Showlenses' service. Harman is the same guy that does the fog overlays like on Brad's car.
Old 1/13/06, 09:27 PM
GT Member

The stainless steel tailight bezel from Automotive Specialties is one piece and does not touch the honeycomb cover in any spot. Maybe this is different than the ones P_Kiley and rrobello had. IMO, I know everyone's taste is different but I really do not see how they look "tacky". Just my $.02.
Old 1/13/06, 09:36 PM
GT Member

Here are the ones I have.
Old 1/13/06, 10:03 PM
V6 Member

Well, you get what you pay for! I had gone ahead and bought the flat stainless steel on E-Bay for a good price and put them on yesterday. The fit is not good, there are several sharp edges and they just appear to be sub-standard to me. I had a hunch they may not look good when I took them out of the box and should have returned them right away. I guess I'll be ordering the plastic! Thanks for the responses!

Originally posted by P_Kiley@January 13, 2006, 2:48 PM

GET THE PLASTIC ONES!!!!

Now the details:

1) they're flat as a board and the tape forces them to follow the contour of the lights, leading to potential issues of stress on the tape. At the time I yanked them, I had one corner starting to separate (Note: this wasn't a "surface prep issue, the tape was still attached to BOTH the lens and the bezel. The foam tape itself was actually splitting down the center due to the stainless trying to re-flatten itself)

2) they're not cut well. Mine were mounted as low as they would fit on the lights, and still stuck up farther than the light surface on top, leaving a sharp edge that cut into the paint on the trunk lip (on both sides).

Old 1/14/06, 07:03 AM
GT Member

[attachmentid=42858]

Chrome Bezels and a Blackout look great together - Quick and easy install on the plastic version.
Old 1/14/06, 07:39 AM
GT Member

After looking at the showlense bezels and reading everyone's comments I have to agree the plastic bezels look better. I wish I had this info sooner but I think I am going the P_Kiley route and trashing the SS for the Chrome Plastic. That is why I love this forum. Thanks guys.
Old 1/14/06, 07:50 AM
V6 Member

Mustang Tuning appears to have the best price at $65 for the pair with free shipping.
Old 1/22/06, 02:55 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
One thing that bugs me the most about all of the bezzles mentioned is one point rrobello made.
They don't go over the edge of the housing. That's why none of them look OEM.
There's a set out there made by AVS, but they cover more than the lines in between the lights and looks bad, IMO.

Anyone know of any that go over the edge?

Quick Reply: Tailight Bezels in Stainless or Chrome/Plastic