05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Stripes and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/05, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone here has had any problem with their insurance agent because they have added stripes to their car? My agent wants to see my new '05 within ten days of adding insurance (today), and I know some insurance companies have this thing about 'modified' cars. I know this is not a real 'mod', in terms of performance, etc., but some insurance companies figure any change from factory specs. is a modification.

Any experiences?
Old 3/16/05, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

I'd tell them to shut up, and get serious about their business.... are they for real when they consider stripes a mod?
some people's children. If they want to raise your rates over that, I'd be lookin' for a new provider quick.
how did they find out about stripes in the first place.... I don't know how it would have ever come up if it were me.... that kind of stuff has no bearing as far as insurance is considered and.... I just would never have said anything about it to my insurance agent.... but, yeah... if I told my insurance agent about something like that, she'd have said, "ok... good for you"
Old 3/16/05, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Why would he want to see the car? If it's a mod from stock they won't cover it on an insurance claim unless you added some kind of rider (like for a super expensive stereo or something). Don't understand why he would care?
Old 3/16/05, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Hellcat6@March 16, 2005, 10:35 AM
Why would he want to see the car? If it's a mod from stock they won't cover it on an insurance claim unless you added some kind of rider (like for a super expensive stereo or something). Don't understand why he would care?

My company requested to see the car within ten days for a visual inspection. I thought it strange for a brand new car. They are not aware of the stripes on the car. Ever since I told them I was buying a Mustang, they have been a little strange, and I'm no kid. I have the safest driving rating they give to their customers.

I had to do this for used cars I have bought - they inspect the windshield for chips, cracks; damage to the body, etc. to make a note of the condition of the car when I bought it for their records. I had to have one small chip fixed in the windshield of my used wagon before they would give me coverage. They don't want me to put a claim in for damage that was on the car when I bought it, and that is fine.
Old 3/16/05, 09:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stripes should have no bearing on insurance whatsoever. If they were painted on, perhaps, after all that would raise the cost of fixing the car if it were in an accident.
Old 3/16/05, 10:20 AM
Cobra Member

ok... they're just ****... whatever, though.... if they're good to you and they aren't expensive, I wouldn't sweat anything.... the stripes won't matter at all... they probably won't even know that they aren't from the factory. if they're just doing an initial inspection before they actually cover the car, then yeah.... no big deal.