05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Stripe questions?

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/06, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripe questions?

Been contemplating getting stripes now for a while...

I think satin stripes on alloy grey would look GREAT! ...BUT... I want stripes painted on, not just a piece of vinal. As far as I know, vinal doesn't shine nicely when polishing the car with Zaino, so stripes would look "dull" in comparason to the rest of the car. Painted stripes are a *LOT* more expensive than vinal stripes. I've been quoted over $1,000 for painted stripes...

So basically my question to TMS is: Would vinal stripes work? Should I go painted if I really want stripes? Or should I save that $1000+ for other things?
Old 6/17/06, 03:08 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are going to get a wide range of opinions on this. If you 100% sure that you want stripes (of a specific color) for the long run, go with paint. If there is any chance you'll get tired of it after a while, then go with vinyl. I've seen some vinyl stripes on here that actually look shiny.

e.g. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...73&postcount=1
Old 6/17/06, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
You are going to get a wide range of opinions on this. If you 100% sure that you want stripes (of a specific color) for the long run, go with paint. If there is any chance you'll get tired of it after a while, then go with vinyl. I seen some vinyl stripes on here that actually look shiny.

e.g. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...73&postcount=1
afb is correct, it all depends if your sure about the stripe thing.

i had mine painted and buried in clear (when touching the paint you cant feel the stripe)

painting also gives you unlimited choices for color, say if you want to match your wheels. i wanted to match the gun metal on my wheels so i used a metalic grey ford truck paint

as you can see, the reason for the 1k price est. is that to do job right
the car has to be disassembled to do the paint

jay
Attached Thumbnails Stripe questions?-dsc00141.jpg   Stripe questions?-dsc00140.jpg  
Old 6/17/06, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
You are going to get a wide range of opinions on this. If you 100% sure that you want stripes (of a specific color) for the long run, go with paint. If there is any chance you'll get tired of it after a while, then go with vinyl. I seen some vinyl stripes on here that actually look shiny.
I could not have said it better myself. I got vinyl because I was not sure. As soon as the vinyl needs to be replaced, I WILL get them painted on. I hope to get a job as good as TKOGT's sounds.
Old 6/17/06, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys. Helped me make up my mind.

I definately want stripes. But I also want the CDC chin spoiler to be part of the car. I can't afford this all at once. So to ensure a quality job (and matching paint!), I'll get stripes and the chin spoiler at a later date, then have a shop install/paint everything all at once. I had no idea the car had to be taken apart to paint stripes on it!

Please excuse me while I stare at my VIN and will my car into production with the sheer power of my mind.
Old 6/17/06, 10:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MY05GT
I could not have said it better myself. I got vinyl because I was not sure. As soon as the vinyl needs to be replaced, I WILL get them painted on. I hope to get a job as good as TKOGT's sounds.

Ditto!!!!!! I too was unsure, even after seeing some other tungsten's with the silver stripes. I can tell you that if you get a precut stripe kit, it probably won't be the highest quality vinyl. After my dealings with my precut kit I learned about some very durable, very thin vinyl form Avery (the same company that makes label sheets for printers). This vinyl is glossy and is the closest thing to paint you can get. If I have to restripe I would prefer to paint it, but if I don't go with paint, I'm definately going with Avery vinyl. Good luck!
Old 6/17/06, 10:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WarBird69
I had no idea the car had to be taken apart to paint stripes on it!
to do JUST the stripes the painter does not have to take everything apart.

because i wanted mine buried in clear, the painter needed to take off the bumper covers ect. beacuse i didnt want any blend/ tape lines.

if you have the stripes painted but not buried in clear you might as well as do tape, because you will still be able to feel the stripe.

jay