05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

SS Duck Tail and paint problems

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/05, 03:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I have been without my Stang for a week and in a Toyota Matrix rental...ugh I had some road debris kick up and cause light damage to my lr 1/4 panel. While it was getting repaired, I brought a SS ducktail spoiler down to the shop to be painted at the same time.

Today when I called for status, the shop told me that when they painted it, there must have been some small pinholes in the spoiler because there is a fisheye effect going on. I got home too late today to see it in person, but he is a trusted shop and a friend of my Dad's so I take his word. My question is, has anyone else had this problem? Did they not prepare this piece properly? Should I make any kind of reccomendations to him to correct it? I also received my CDC classic chin spoiler and SS 2nd Gen Louvers today and I am worried they too will have the same problems when painted.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 10/28/05, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pumpkinfish@October 28, 2005, 4:43 PM
Ok I have been without my Stang for a week and in a Toyota Matrix rental...ugh I had some road debris kick up and cause light damage to my lr 1/4 panel. While it was getting repaired, I brought a SS ducktail spoiler down to the shop to be painted at the same time.

Today when I called for status, the shop told me that when they painted it, there must have been some small pinholes in the spoiler because there is a fisheye effect going on. I got home too late today to see it in person, but he is a trusted shop and a friend of my Dad's so I take his word. My question is, has anyone else had this problem? Did they not prepare this piece properly? Should I make any kind of reccomendations to him to correct it? I also received my CDC classic chin spoiler and SS 2nd Gen Louvers today and I am worried they too will have the same problems when painted.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
they didnt either prepare it properly , clean it properly or a combination of both. When we paint palstic , like the emblems were doing or my own roush front end or 3d carbon wing heres what I do.....first off, clean it with simple green right out of the box. then scuff with 600 grit. Then simple green again, the a special spray to made just for cleaningplastic, the you apply a special adhesion promoter, then the flexible primer. Then its 600 to 1200 again depending if there is trash in it , then reclean with the special plastic cleaner again ( I do this step....most do not) then the base then the clear...they screwed up some step along the way and they should be responsible for fixing it and any time you have had t pay for a rental because its not right the first time IMO
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/763164
Old 10/28/05, 04:13 PM
V6 Member

The spoiler is not holding me up for the rental. Like I said I had to get the quarter repaired so this was like icing on the cake for me. I figured that while it was there, I could get it painted and it should be close in color since they are making a batch to blend the quarter panel. I will print out your suggestions and bring it to them. I'll post pictures tomorrow of what it looks like. As of now, how can they fix this?
Old 10/28/05, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got a very small amount of the same thing on my SSE ducktail. I got a really good price on the paint job, as I had the RKSport hood and the CDC front spoiler done as well. I could have paid three times what I did to get a show quality paint job, but my car is a daily driver. Not that I don't want it to look nice, but it is silly to pay for premium paint just to get rock chips the next day. (I actually scraped my whole front spoiler the day after I got it painted.) My paint is not perfect, but no one notices the flaws except me and maybe a show judge, and I don't plan on entering very often. Mine wasn't bad. I guess it depends on how perfect you require it, and what your plans for the car are. I noticed the flaws pretty quickly, but I realized that that is exactly the type of paintjob that I paid for.
Old 10/29/05, 04:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by pumpkinfish@October 28, 2005, 5:16 PM
The spoiler is not holding me up for the rental. Like I said I had to get the quarter repaired so this was like icing on the cake for me. I figured that while it was there, I could get it painted and it should be close in color since they are making a batch to blend the quarter panel. I will print out your suggestions and bring it to them. I'll post pictures tomorrow of what it looks like. As of now, how can they fix this?
to "fix" it hes going to have to take it back down to the raw plastic , because its probably a flaw in the primer if its the kind of "holes" ( looks like little ****** with a straight pin vs a very small circle with a hole in it that looks like it could have been a bubble on the paint and you popped it...thats a fisheye) I think they are. Just tell him to really pay attention to the prepping , expecially the cleaning ( tell him not to use anything other than a water based cleaner, like simple green)

more great paint gets screwed up in the initial prep than most anything else combined.
Old 10/29/05, 05:24 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
The S/S Spoiler has instructions which Highly Stress the Importance of Scrubbing with Cleanser. The Spoilers have a Residue form the Mold Release Process. Some Companies Will clean the The Part in Preparation for painting before selling the part some do not. It is Critical. My BodyShop Had the Same Problem on a S/S Ducktail Very Recently. They Neglected to READ the Instructions and Had to do the Job Three Times. PREPARATION is CRITICAL. It is like Painting on oil if you don't. BTW the Spoiler is Ureathane and I believe it would be a good idea to use Some Flex additive in the Paint Mixture.

KC
Old 10/29/05, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

A friend of mine who's family has owned a well known body shop in Indy for 30 years. Told me they have so many problems of this type they won't even take a job painting aftermarket body parts. That is why I don't have any, I was going SSE Ducktail, CDC Classic Chin and SSE Gen I Louvers.
Old 10/30/05, 07:55 AM
V6 Member

I went and checked out the problems yesterday. It seems that the end caps on the top surface have these "pinholes". The center piece was flawless. So I have say either they got lucky with the center or they did prepare the material properly and there is indeed issues with those sections of the endcaps. They told me they would fix them and should be ready Monday night. I'll keep you guys informed how take 2 goes!
Old 10/30/05, 08:24 AM
V6 Member

I had a similar bad experience with an aftermarket ducktail. I took it to 3 shops for estimates and they all turned the job down.
They all stated that the spoiler had so much silicon release agent still on it that no matter how much they worked on it that it would eventually turn out bad. The release agent would sweat out at some future time and the paint would come off. They said that i would be happy at first but down the road the paint would suffer.
"Fish eye" was a common theme at all three shops too.
I was very dissapointed and returned the spoiler to the vender without complaint.
Only after 3 trys at 3 different shops did I finally give up.