05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Springs? Opinions wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/05, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I'm in the process of ordering some 18x9in Bullet's, the one's that 9thPony put on his ride (nice car by the way dude). The question is lowering though. As some of you know my 05 is my fourth Mustang and two I have had in the past, a 1990 GT and the current 94 GT that I still own, were lowered on the Eibach Pro KIt. Though I do like the Eibach's I'm tired of negotiating funky driveways and such to avoid scrapping so I'm looking for a slight drop. I'd like to limit the drop to 3/4's of an inch at the very most. I'm thinking a 1/2" to 3/4" all around would be nice. So to my question... does anyone know where such a spring can be found and what does everyone think of going with such a slight drop?

Thanks!

Pick of my 05 and my 94 together....
Old 6/3/05, 05:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've read posts here about people cutting their springs to achieve the desired height. They've reported no problems whatsoever. Maybe that's the way to go for you too?
Old 6/3/05, 08:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

I hear Steeda's springs are very conservative...along the lines you were mentioning.
Old 6/3/05, 11:46 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Do any springs out there come close to "leveling" the car?
(sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I'm also looking for less of a drop than the Pro-Kit gives.)
Old 6/3/05, 12:18 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got the Eibach Pro Kit on my car and love it. My driveway has a huge incline and I never scrape the undercarriage. My tires have never rubbed, car has never bottom out, works great. Oh, and looks pretty darn good to
Old 6/3/05, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@June 3, 2005, 11:49 AM
(sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I'm also looking for less of a drop than the Pro-Kit gives.)

Hi-jack away bro! I like the fact that I'm not alone in search for a lesser drop that what's out there!

I guess I'm just undecided or on the fence so to speak for exactly what to do. I am paying a lot more attention in regards to what I want to do with this car since, IMO, the 05 is a very special and by far the best Mustang I have ever owned. I just want to get it right!!!!

Keep the opinion's coming guys.
Old 6/3/05, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom@June 3, 2005, 5:19 AM
I've read posts here about people cutting their springs to achieve the desired height. They've reported no problems whatsoever. Maybe that's the way to go for you too?
stangnut
I have read through a lot of info about cutting springs, both for the '05 as well as other cars. It seems as long as you don't over heat them or take too much off, all is fine except for a slightly stiffer ride.
One thing that inerests me, now that I have my car and had a chance to really look at the stance and tire/fenderwell spacing, is to cut a single loop or coil from the rear springs only. The front tire/fender gap looks pretty good, just around 2" or a little less, the back looks to be around 3"+ or so, I haven't actually measured it yet. From what I have read, one full coil from the rear springs will drop the rear-end by 3/4" to 1". Another advantage is that you can cut the rear springs in incements, to tune the height to just what you like. Compared to the front springs, which need to be cut in increments of full coils and a full coil is around 1.2" of drop. That's too much for me, I'm not looking to "slam" my car. From looking at mine, 1" or so in the rear will almost perfectly level the car. At the most, it would leave the rear +-1/4" higher than the front giving it the slightest amount of forward rake. As it sits now, the rear seems just a bit too much higher than it should. It's not just the height thing, it's also the gap above the tire, it just doesn't look right IMO.
I will wait to do this though, I am going to get a set of '03-'04 Mach 1 wheels and 255/50/17 Fuzions first and see how that looks. And from what I've seen, by only doing this slight drop in the rear, it will not throw off the allignment enough to be concerned with. But still, after new tires, rims, and maybe a coil cut, $50-$60 bucks for an allignment would not be a bad idea. This is still in the planning stages, I plan to do some more researching before I take the cut-off wheel to mine.
jeff
Old 6/3/05, 06:37 PM
FR500 Member

I installed the Steeda rear springs only and it gave me the levelness I was looking for.
Old 6/3/05, 09:12 PM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by mustp51@June 3, 2005, 2:10 PM
I have read through a lot of info about cutting springs, both for the '05 as well as other cars. It seems as long as you don't over heat them or take too much off, all is fine except for a slightly stiffer ride.
One thing that inerests me, now that I have my car and had a chance to really look at the stance and tire/fenderwell spacing, is to cut a single loop or coil from the rear springs only. The front tire/fender gap looks pretty good, just around 2" or a little less, the back looks to be around 3"+ or so, I haven't actually measured it yet. From what I have read, one full coil from the rear springs will drop the rear-end by 3/4" to 1". Another advantage is that you can cut the rear springs in incements, to tune the height to just what you like. Compared to the front springs, which need to be cut in increments of full coils and a full coil is around 1.2" of drop. That's too much for me, I'm not looking to "slam" my car. From looking at mine, 1" or so in the rear will almost perfectly level the car. At the most, it would leave the rear +-1/4" higher than the front giving it the slightest amount of forward rake. As it sits now, the rear seems just a bit too much higher than it should. It's not just the height thing, it's also the gap above the tire, it just doesn't look right IMO.
I will wait to do this though, I am going to get a set of '03-'04 Mach 1 wheels and 255/50/17 Fuzions first and see how that looks. And from what I've seen, by only doing this slight drop in the rear, it will not throw off the allignment enough to be concerned with. But still, after new tires, rims, and maybe a coil cut, $50-$60 bucks for an allignment would not be a bad idea. This is still in the planning stages, I plan to do some more researching before I take the cut-off wheel to mine.
jeff
Congrats on your new ride today mustp51.
Old 6/3/05, 09:50 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by incorrigible@June 3, 2005, 12:41 PM
Hi-jack away bro! I like the fact that I'm not alone in search for a lesser drop that what's out there!

Adrenalin... your car looks great man and I find it interesting that with an Eibach Pro Kit you have not run into any problems. I guess I'm just undecided or on the fence so to speak for exactly what to do. I am paying a lot more attention in regards to what I want to do with this car since, IMO, the 05 is a very special and by far the best Mustang I have ever owned. I just want to get it right!!!!

Keep the opinion's coming guys.
I never said no problems. I had a hard time getting an alignment done. I had to get the struts "notched" and camber bolts installed. My camber was way off
Old 6/4/05, 12:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Congrats on your new ride today mustp51.
Thanks, softbatch
Old 6/4/05, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@June 3, 2005, 9:53 PM
I never said no problems. I had a hard time getting an alignment done. I had to get the struts "notched" and camber bolts installed. My camber was way off

When I said problems I was refering to scrapping on driveways and such!
Old 6/4/05, 03:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I too am wanting the exact same thing as you. A drop but a conservative drop.

I would also like to level out the rear as well... I don't mind a slightly raised rear, but stock it's just a bit too much for me.

I've seen some pics of steeda springs and they do look more in the lines of what I was thinking so I'll probably go that route... if anyone has more pics of their stang with steeda springs that would be great

wild stray I'd love to see more pics of your car with just the rear installed
Old 6/5/05, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by wild stray@June 3, 2005, 6:40 PM
I installed the Steeda rear springs only and it gave me the levelness I was looking for.

How's the ride with just the back springs done? Any issues? Also, I'm guessing nothing had to be done in the alignment area with just replacing the back springs... am I right?
Old 6/5/05, 01:05 PM
FR500 Member

quote=Imatk,June 4, 2005, 2:13 PM]
Yes I too am wanting the exact same thing as you. A drop but a conservative drop.

wild stray I'd love to see more pics of your car with just the rear installed
/quote]

Here's a pic I took this morning....back end
Old 6/5/05, 01:07 PM
FR500 Member

From the side
Old 6/5/05, 01:10 PM
FR500 Member

The car sits pretty even and I don't have to worry about speed bumps, etc. with the front end. When I re-install the standard diameter rear tires, the rear will go up a little. But the space over the tires looks normal to me.
Old 6/5/05, 01:15 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by incorrigible@June 5, 2005, 11:31 AM
How's the ride with just the back springs done? Any issues? Also, I'm guessing nothing had to be done in the alignment area with just replacing the back springs... am I right?

Rides just a touch firmer, but not especially noticeable. I havn't had the alignment checked, but I don't see any problems there. I have no reason to make any more changes at this point.

Paul
Old 6/5/05, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice mod wild stray Thats all I want to do to mine, level the rear.
Did you check your rear axle position before or after you installed your springs?
I have heard that because of the geometry of the rear, the whole axle shifts to the right when lowering. MTAS lowered his with Eibach Pros, he said the rear shifted 3/4" to the right after the drop, had to use an adjustable panhard bar to get the rear centered again. Thanks,
jeff

Check:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?ac...cmd=si&img=1215
Old 6/5/05, 09:59 PM
FR500 Member

Thanks Jeff,

I installed the adjustable panhard bar at the same time as the springs. The springs threw the rear out by 1/2" in my case.

Paul

Quick Reply: Springs? Opinions wanted!