05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Splash guards are worth the money

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/06, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
This thread proves that Ford should not sell Mustangs too "REDNECKS"
Actually it would be "to REDNECKS" your english usage is incorrect. That said it is everyone's choice on if they want them on their cars or not. I have never had them on my Camaro, Trans Am, or my Mustang. Would I consider it now on my black Shelby GT? Most definitely, my last black Mustang was really hard to keep clean there. I will either consider splash guards or see if I can get http://www.xpel.com/ to cut some sheets for my car.
Old 11/23/06, 11:49 AM
V6 Member

I also give the mudflaps a thumbs up! Before leaving on a trip from Philly to Wildwood, NJ for a car show in September, I installed the molded Ford flaps on the back and they did a great job of deflect crap from the body.

I left them black and they blend into the rear tires and are hardly noticeable. I would highly recommend them.
Old 11/23/06, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Silverfox
If you buy the molded mud flaps I suggest you trim the lip on the inside bottom edge or it will hold dirt, mud, snow ,ect...ect...ect.

Now that would have been smart. Too bad they're already painted... <sigh> Well, when they get scratched up and come back off for a repaint, I'll trim 'em...

Mike E
Old 11/24/06, 08:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Mudflaps are for trucks. When you put them on a Mustang they look :gay:

Um ok, it my car not yours.
Old 11/24/06, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Will the ones from the Ford dealer fit the GT/CS cars or do I need to get the Shelby style? I think that if it saves the paint then it is worth the money. Just my opinion. Please let me know if the molded flaps will fit my GT/CS.
Old 11/24/06, 08:50 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
They won't fit the GT/CS-GT500 style rear bumper cover.
Old 11/25/06, 11:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by S197 V6
I definitly need a pair of these molded splash guards. Are these the one sold through Ford, if so can anyone give me a part number or a link? Thanks!
for V8 http://www.fordgenuineaccessory.com/...t_id=3213&GID=

and for V6 http://www.fordgenuineaccessory.com/...t_id=3212&GID=

Ford part number is 5R3Z16A550BA for V8 and 5R3Z16A550AA for V6. You can stop by any Ford dealer parts dept and order them.
Old 11/25/06, 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hk2006
for V8 http://www.fordgenuineaccessory.com/...t_id=3213&GID=

and for V6 http://www.fordgenuineaccessory.com/...t_id=3212&GID=

Ford part number is 5R3Z16A550BA for V8 and 5R3Z16A550AA for V6. You can stop by any Ford dealer parts dept and order them.
Thank You!
Old 11/26/06, 02:52 PM
Banned

You guys have convinced me!

Wow guys! you all have really convinced me. Where can I get a pair of those really cool mudflaps! I want the biggest ones that I can find. I would especially like to find a set with cartoon guys on the back of them. Who was that guy on Bugs Bunny with the big red mustache! I can't wait to see more of your awesome mud flap pics.
Old 11/26/06, 03:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Ummm - Yosemite Sam. Yes.

Wait a minute - was that sarcasm?
Old 11/26/06, 03:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow guys! you all have really convinced me. Where can I get a pair of those really cool mudflaps! I want the biggest ones that I can find. I would especially like to find a set with cartoon guys on the back of them. Who was that guy on Bugs Bunny with the big red mustache! I can't wait to see more of your awesome mud flap pics.

Really how often do you drive your car? I'm guessing that for someone that has built a clone car that maybe you don't drive it that often, or its all hiway driving if you do. For daily drivers like my car, and in the city and area that I drive, these parts go along way towards protecting the paint on the rear fascia.

Either way, I don't care about convincing you to buy anything. Maybe the other alternative would be to only post if you have something worthwhile to contribute.
Old 11/26/06, 06:39 PM
GT Member

Again, I think the flaps look horrible on this car.
The molded guards however, look good.
Don't confuse the two.
It's pretty easy stuff...flaps flap, and guards don't.
I don't want anything flapping on my Stang.
Attached Thumbnails Splash guards are worth the money-rear10d.jpg  
Old 11/26/06, 06:46 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Does anybody have the part number for the smaller Shelby GT 500 splash guards. I have a GT/CS and would like to be able to give Ford the part number so I don't order the wrong part.

Thanks
Old 11/26/06, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On my 72 Gran Torino Sport. with L60s the chrome ones were great This car no way!
Old 11/26/06, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

So, if you are going to try to be sarcastic at least get it right. Sheesh! What's the point of trying to make fun of something when you make yourself sound like a moron. Yosemite Sam, DUH! Even my ten year old son knows that one.

Old 11/26/06, 08:02 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Just ignore him, guys. He simply wants the attention because he thinks his opinion matters. Eventually he'll just shut up and go away or put his foot in his mouth one too many times and get kicked off TMS.
Old 11/27/06, 01:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mikeelia
I bought the molded rear flaps at my dealer for $43.20. I tried to get the dealer body shop to paint them to match the car, but they wouldn't touch them. So I finally took them to a local body shop after waiting a few weeks to try to hook up with a friend who is too busy to do it. I want them LL to match the rest of the plastic along the bottom of the car, and since I put the wider wheels and tires in back, there is a lot more crap being kicked up there, even here in sunny and dry SoCal.

I rode over there on Friday to pick them up and the guy had done a terrible job: the color was fine, but there was a gouge across the back of one and the outside top edges were rough and hardly had any paint on them! I held them on the car and the worst areas were right where you would see [right along the wheel opening].

I asked the shop owner what he thought of them and he said "it's not up to me, it's up to you", so I told him to fix them and paint 'em again. That was disturbing since he does tons of custom paint jobs [you should see some of the wild paint work they've done] and these were simple and just awful.

Hey, the deal is $100 to do it, [pricey I know] so I am going to make them do it right [haven't paid a cent yet]... I'd sure rather see how their work is on $45 mudflaps before I have them touch the wing or anything else on my car... [I'm thinking semi-gloss black like the old Mach 1s] And I will probably get some sort of side window louvers... I guess buying prefinished stuff, like my mirror covers, is a lot easier.

BTW, the washer tip is a great one, thanks! I will have to pick some stainless up [tons of galvanized around my garage, but not stainless!].

Mike E
A 100 BUCKS for a mudgard paint job? Man what have you been smoking? LMAO
Old 11/27/06, 01:10 AM
Cobra R Member

I already said I was a redneck so that matters not. These do keep the burned rubber off the paint so I guess we ain't so ******* at all.
Old 11/27/06, 01:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Another solution would be to get that protective clear film...at least it barely shows and you'll get the protection you need...but I agree, mudflaps on a sportscar do not look good...again, just my opinion (besides it hides the fact that you have some serious wide performance rubber on the rear of your car)...but to each his own...
Old 11/27/06, 05:32 AM
Banned

Thanks for the pic Steve. Those are the ones im gonna get with Yosemite Sam. I really do like them.

Quick Reply: Splash guards are worth the money