05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Some new shoes for Mikes rx

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/07, 03:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Some new shoes for Mikes rx

I finally put on my GT500 wheels, and it was even nice enough to take some good pics.

IMO, they look better than on real GT500's, due to the painted rocker panels and the rear bumper "ground effect" (vs. the shelby's flat bumper under the rear parking light). Also, eventhough almost everyone hates them, I think the mudguards help the wheels look better too.

Also, these are genuine GT500 wheels, not aftermarket. For some reason, something about these wheels is different from the aftermarket "style" wheels. I still haven't been able to figure it out yet, but it has to do with the way the lug holes/center caps fit.

Also, FWIW, I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 255/45/18 all around, since the car is a highway cruiser (tread life was important to me)
Attached Thumbnails Some new shoes for Mikes rx-2005-mustang-015.jpg   Some new shoes for Mikes rx-2005-mustang-016.jpg   Some new shoes for Mikes rx-2005-mustang-020.jpg  
Old 2/12/07, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

Nice
Old 2/12/07, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

They look great!
Old 2/12/07, 10:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Whats the width on the rims? The tires look a little skinny on the wheels, like the rim sticks out more. Could just be an illusion tho.
<3 those wheels!!
Old 2/12/07, 10:57 PM
Bullitt Member

righteous
Old 2/12/07, 11:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Whats the width on the rims? The tires look a little skinny on the wheels, like the rim sticks out more. Could just be an illusion tho.
<3 those wheels!!
The rims are 9.5" wide, and I put 255/45/18 all around. That is the tire size that shelby's get on the front.

They could definitely accept wider tires (the shelby's get 285's on the rear), but I decided to go that route so that I could rotate them, since the car is a highway cruiser. Also, it turns out that that is the perfect tire size for the mudguards (see pic).

The rim does stick out more than the tire (ie-if you lay them down, the rim hits touches the surface, not the tire), but I figured if it's good enough for the Shelby's, it's good enough for me. Also, there is a rim protector on the tire, so that helps make them "look" a little wider when seen in person.
Attached Thumbnails Some new shoes for Mikes rx-2005-mustang-017.jpg  
Old 2/13/07, 07:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
love those rims where did you gety them from and how much did you pay for them??
Old 2/13/07, 07:19 AM
Cobra R Member

I got them new from modular depot. They had them on ebay for a BIN or best offer, so I just called them to get a deal. They are already pretty cheap on ebay, and they helped me out a little more since I payed with Credit card and there were no ebay fees. I don't like to say how much something was that I "negotiated", because I don't want to commit the seller to anything.

The even better deal was the tires. New, they are about $280/tire, but I found a set with 95% remaining for VERY cheap.

But, I will say that I have exactly $1500 invested for them on the car (with lifetime balancing). To replace, it would be close to $2300.
Old 2/13/07, 09:25 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The new wheels are lookin great. You ever think about lowering it?
Old 2/13/07, 09:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by NJ3
The new wheels are lookin great. You ever think about lowering it?
I knew this question would come up.

I've thought about it, but decided not to. I don't want to deal with spring compressors, the premature suspension wear and tear, the possibility of a panhard bar being needed, the additional stiffness of the suspension, etc, etc.

I put Steeda springs on my 2000, but those were extremely easy to change out, because compressors weren't needed. But, the ride was a little stiffer, and the ride height was lower. It was tolerable, but the 05's suspension is so comfortable for cruising that I don't want to lose it.

I just don't want to deal with the added issues. It's nice not having to worry about scraping something, and in all honesty, the car actually looks a little lower than others (perhaps because of the added weight from the vert). I think it just depends on the pavement that it is parked on. [in the first two pics, the wheel gap is small; but in the third pic the wheel gap is huge]
Old 2/13/07, 09:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They look nice man!!!!
Old 2/13/07, 10:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Very nice indeed!
Old 2/13/07, 12:26 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikes rx
I knew this question would come up.

I've thought about it, but decided not to. I don't want to deal with spring compressors, the premature suspension wear and tear, the possibility of a panhard bar being needed, the additional stiffness of the suspension, etc, etc.

I put Steeda springs on my 2000, but those were extremely easy to change out, because compressors weren't needed. But, the ride was a little stiffer, and the ride height was lower. It was tolerable, but the 05's suspension is so comfortable for cruising that I don't want to lose it.

I just don't want to deal with the added issues. It's nice not having to worry about scraping something, and in all honesty, the car actually looks a little lower than others (perhaps because of the added weight from the vert). I think it just depends on the pavement that it is parked on. [in the first two pics, the wheel gap is small; but in the third pic the wheel gap is huge]
Well if you ever consider lowering I'll let you get some seat time in mine so you can see how a lowered S197 drives.
Old 2/13/07, 02:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by NJ3
Well if you ever consider lowering I'll let you get some seat time in mine so you can see how a lowered S197 drives.
Thanks. Honestly, I am a little afraid to see how it feels, because I will probably end up liking it, causing me to spend even more money on the car . But, I will keep it in mind.
Old 2/13/07, 03:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man, don't worry about the ride, it's not bad. I used BMR Springs and if you decide to do it let me know. I found a way that is SAFE that won't require the use of compressors. I wish I would have found this out before my buddy nad I did ours
Old 2/13/07, 03:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
Hey man, don't worry about the ride, it's not bad. I used BMR Springs and if you decide to do it let me know. I found a way that is SAFE that won't require the use of compressors. I wish I would have found this out before my buddy nad I did ours
I've already decided that IF I do them, I will probably go with the H&R springs, as they have the least lowering and are good quality. It would be just enough to get rid of the fender gap, without being too aggressive. I personally don't like the "slammed" look...just enough to "get the job done".

In all honesty though, the liklihood is about 1%. I really don't want to dish out the money for springs, alignment, struts/springs (if needed), camber bolts (if needed), and panhard bar (if needed). My car has about hit the limit on what will be done to it, as there comes a time that there is too much money invested in a car that will be sold (not for awhile, but eventually).