05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Silverhorse Racing 1/4 Window Louvers

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/07, 11:32 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silverhorse Racing 1/4 Window Louvers

I am sure this subject has been addressed already on this site...but I'm having a hard time searching for some reason. Has anyone installed the Silverhorse Window Louvers? How was the install...easy? How about the quality? I love the look...I'm really thinking of installing a pair.
Old 7/11/07, 12:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=39193

Try this thread, its long but informative, try jumping mid way and towards the end after you see some photos of ones installed. Also see Silverhorses web site for install instructions
Old 7/11/07, 01:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Install in something to be taken seriously. I installed myself and it was... Fun to say the least. Lol, course this is the first time I've ever done anything like this.

Quality is top notch. Nothing to be left desired.

Old 7/11/07, 02:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

all i can say is D @ MN ford nows how to seal a window, too a while if you do not have the right materials, i recommend buying the install kit.
Old 7/11/07, 05:31 PM
V6 Member

I carried mine in to a glass shop and for 75 a side they installed them for me. Of course they did end up smashing the original window. but yes Ford puts a ton of sealant in there.
Old 7/11/07, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Install is about about a 45 minute job with the right instuctions. I have a write up on the process and i have installed both set i purchased.harder to get the SHR out than Factory glass.

http://www.legendlimeregistry.com/forums/?t=2284

Last edited by 2005mach1; 3/6/08 at 01:50 PM.
Old 7/11/07, 10:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2005mach1
Install is about about a 45 minute job with the right instuctions. I have a write up on the process and i have installed both set i purchased.harder to get the SHR out than Factory glass.

45mins? I took WAY longer then that.
Old 7/11/07, 11:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah man it took me and my friend about 2 1/2 hours for each side
Old 7/12/07, 01:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a dream come true for many of us who own these inserts. Now if we can get Marcello to bring the retro taillight bezels out of his shop and onto the market this Fall. ..........................................
Old 7/12/07, 06:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
yeah man it took me and my friend about 2 1/2 hours for each side
It was about 4-5hrs install time from start to complete finish.
Old 7/12/07, 07:41 AM
Cobra Member

Nice write up Robert.

So was there any inside the vehicle prep work needed like taking out panels or plastic from around the window?

Did you have a helper to pull the wire from either inside or outside the vehicle?

And.....How did you get the wire started again, did you drill or cut a small hole in the adhesive around the window or how did you get the wire in between to get started. Doesn't compute for me.

Nice looking Pony and thanks for the write-up

Thanks
Old 7/12/07, 07:48 AM
V6 Member

Question for either the group or M at SHR. I remember reading that in the beginning, ... some had leaking after installing the louvers. Has this been resolved by either new materials, or different install technique?

BTW, I'm NOT trying to rain on M at SHR in any way, as I love these louvers and plan on buying a set real soon, but just want to know that I won't have to worry about any leakage. There's another thread, but it has so many posts, it's hard to locate the useful info.

Thanks!
Old 7/12/07, 08:57 AM
Legacy Tms Member

The leaks (what few there were) were caused mostly by people trying to build the urethane seal too high and then not pressing the louver in sufficiently for full contact - going for the "super flush" look, rather than letting the louver recess slightly like the factory glass does. The other issue was people installing the louvers without adhesion promoter - it is pretty much a requirement with the fast-set urethanes most places use. A slow set might work without it, but it's not worth the money to not use it.

The solution is to either build the bead taller/ thinner with a tight V-notch in the caulk tube tip, or make sure the whole part contacts well by applying gentle pressure to the louver until it seats on the bead.

The part is designed EXACTLY to the contours of the original glass, so the only way a leak occurs is if it is not installed correctly. We modified the directions a bit as we received feedback from end-users, which may or may not have made a difference in the issues people experience. The end result though is that over hundreds of sets already in the field, the leak calls / issues could probably be counted on just the fingers I'm using to type this. And the first set I installed personally is still sitting in the car, 8 months, monsoons here pretty much daily as of late, lots of temperature swings, humidity, etc... and still no leaks.
Old 7/12/07, 10:30 AM
GT Member

Thanks to everyone! I don't mean to single out any one of you who responded to my question...but this 45 minute installation got my attention. And the write-up is real nice. I'm sure I will exceed the 45 minutes, but I have definitely decided that my Tungsten Grey GT will get a set of these louvers. The look is great and everyone expressed their satisfaction...that is the best testimonial of all.

As a newby to this forum...I am truely impressed with everyone's willingness to help a fellow Mustang owner. I hope to continue posting here and I want to get to know all of you as I go. Thanks again!
Old 7/12/07, 11:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I just wanted to post this as I called Marcello this week myself, my louvers became loose over this past weekend. I commend SHR and Marcello for being able to pinpoint the concern and willing to listen to the issue at hand. I don't know about you folks here, but this guy will be here around for a long time coming!
Old 7/12/07, 11:04 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks - we try

Just treat people the way you'd like to be treated, and pretty much everything else seems to work itself out. Funny how that works!
Old 7/12/07, 11:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Marcello, my glass guy was out this AM and all good. They should be good to go for the weekend!
Old 7/12/07, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
Nice write up Robert.

So was there any inside the vehicle prep work needed like taking out panels or plastic from around the window?

Did you have a helper to pull the wire from either inside or outside the vehicle?

And.....How did you get the wire started again, did you drill or cut a small hole in the adhesive around the window or how did you get the wire in between to get started. Doesn't compute for me.

Nice looking Pony and thanks for the write-up

Thanks
I have sent some pics to help you understand of how to cut the glass seal without removing any panels. no need to do extra work or start a hole to feed the wire through. YOU WILL NEED TO TAPE AROUND THE WINDOW!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 2005mach1; 3/6/08 at 01:27 PM.
Old 7/12/07, 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

I have sent some pics to help you understand of how to cut the glass seal without removing any panels. no need to do extra work or start a hole to feed the wire through. YOU WILL NEED TO TAPE AROUND THE WINDOW!

Hope this helps.
Actually now more confused, sorry.

I've read the SHR instructions and you feed the wire in through the hole made close to the retaining pin right?

Then someone has to be on the inside of the car pulling the wire in and then you pull the wire out from the outside right? Back and forth sawing method.

Or are you saying you use the wire with just you pulling it from the outside, how does that work.

Sorry just having a brain lock on this. But then I have not gotten to the point of getting the louvers and trying to install. Just trying to visualize this before hand.

Thanks
Old 7/12/07, 04:01 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Robert-
in the write up it mentions alcohol...I didnt use adhesion promoter on my first set, and 4 months later they came loose...the second set I used the adhesion promoterand can only say PROMOTER DOES MORE THAN CLEAN- it actually feels like its melting in as you swab it over, and leaves a kinda flat looking primer etched deeply into the lexan. Like I said my first set were in 4 months and were spotlessly clean- and when they came loose 4 months later peeled them away with only moderate force 100% clean of urethane...if not using promoter- hate to say it, but bet if you go out and press on the inside you will find 'loose' areas soon...

while mine were out(first set) I thought I'd buff the clearcoat out(painted myself- had some dust)- instead ruined them...reordered in prepainted, installed with promoter...so my skipping of the promoter cost me enough I wont forget again

I like the 'cut from outside' pics you posted- looks like it would both save time and not risk scraping the hidden inner lip of the window opening...cool!

Quick Reply: Silverhorse Racing 1/4 Window Louvers