05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

side window louvers

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/08, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
Hey there,

Thats a great price for a painted louver. We have talked about pre-painting louvers. Not sure if that will happen or not - but its a common request. Those look a lot like the Street Scene louvers pictured below.

Page

Nice, but those more resemble the '65-'66 style. '68 had far more louvers.
Old 1/30/08, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

That's correct ( I believe there are twelve). Also, to be true to the '68, the louvers were actually raised and not recessed like some of the aftermarket ones, but whatever looks good.
Old 1/30/08, 02:46 PM
GT Member

Cool 1968 Louvers

In trying to get the louvers that give the best '68 look, and now narrowing my choices to the SHR flush mount louvers and the Streetscene surface mount louvers, if it were only a matter of price then the Streetscene louvers would be the choice. But I am going to make the choice on both looks (as in which looks more like it is part of the car) and practicality (as in which is not going to create a problem with maintenance).

As for the '68 look, unfortunatley, neither one gives me the actual '68 look. Both only have the 5 louvers vs 12 louvers for the '68. But this may not be such a bad thing - as visibility is more important to me and this is a 2008 version of the Bullitt. The SHR is slightly recessed (by the thickness of the windowpane if it is installed correctly?) and the Streetscene is raised by the thickness of the louver itself - much like the '68. If you did not want it recessed, I do not know why the installer of the flush mounted ones could not apply the glue a little thicker so the louver would be truly flushmounted - if that is the look you wanted. My concerns with going with the Streetscene louvers are based on the experience of other members. One member previously wrote that he had the type installed over the window and it collected a lot of leaves and other debris - and the outside of the window can not be cleaned. A couple of other members wrote that they had the type installed over the window loosen up and it had to be reinstalled -I know that 3M tape is good stuff - but after three years of use on my Harley 100th Anniversary emblems, I am now starting to pick up emblems from my garage where the queen is sitting too much. So I am leaning to the SHR flush mounted ones - and if I go that way will have to decide if I want them in by a window pane thickness or out a little so that they are truly flush mounted. I also think that the SHR louvers may gave more light and better vision since they use the Lexan between the louver slots - and there is no window glass inbetween getting dirty.

You can get a good look at the '68 GT louvers at the following link:
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time...8/68/index.htm

Old 1/30/08, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
For me, since the 08 Bullitt is a modern iteration of the classic, I would say go with a modern iteration of a classic. Therefore the SHR louvers are by far my favorite.

Stylish and subdued, just like the spirit of the original Bullitt. Plus SHR kicks a**!!

Now if only they will paint them Highland Green straight from SHR
Old 1/30/08, 05:43 PM
GT Member

Cool

Mackitraz

THE CAR GODS HAVE GRANTED YOU YOUR WISH! (Check out the SHR website)

Old 1/30/08, 06:33 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL, Justin, he's right - we've got them listed, just waiting for the first order before we send a group off to paint. We will be receiving back our first group of Vapor Silver parts tomorrow, a customer in Sweden needed louvers and matching mirrors for his 08 GT500 So now there's a few sets of Vapor here (tell a friend!)

Al, you are correct, the louver can be mounted 100% flush, or slightly recessed. This matches the OEM glass install, and so should not be thought of in a negative way, just in how the installer / customer wants the car to look, and to be honest, it depends I think more on the color than anything else. Light cars tend to need to be closer to flush, while darker cars can cheat and be a little further in without drawing the eye, which is the goal - when our parts are installed correctly, the casual observer doesn't even notice they were added, only another Mustang owner would be able to tell, and even then, hopefully will be asking how you ordered it from the factory that way!

On the visibility - remember that at 2" depth per pane, it protrudes into the car enough to give an almost unobstructed view when looking over your right shoulder out the passenger side. The angle we tipped them at was a further thought / aid in helping the visibility from the driver's seat looking out, just the details we try and get right for everyone
Old 2/1/08, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I have an unpainted set from SHR new in the box. I don't know if I want to sell them or put them on the bullitt... Hmmmm.
Old 2/1/08, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Avi8tor767
The ones Stormbringer recommended. they paint & clear coat them, supposed to be easy to install, will have to ask Stormbringer for any tips he has on putting them on, should have them in 2 weeks.
Nothing to it really. The underside had some kind of white stuff on it but it washed right off. Before I stuck them on I test fitted them. The outer edge of the louver wraps around the glass so you don't have to worry about getting them lined up. Cleaned off the glass with some windex, peeled off the backing and they have been stuck there ever since.
Old 2/1/08, 06:32 PM

Stormbringer,
thanks for all the info, should have them in a week, cant wait to install them and hope they were able to match that dark highland green.
Old 2/1/08, 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by wally05
I have an unpainted set from SHR new in the box. I don't know if I want to sell them or put them on the bullitt... Hmmmm.
Personally, while they are great product, I'd sell them.
Old 2/1/08, 08:40 PM
GT Member

These louvers from www.silverhorseracing.com are really nice looking flush mounts. I would never take the window out of my new Bullitt and replace it with this though.
http://www.silverhorseracing.com/web...ategory_id=255

Old 2/3/08, 06:30 PM
V6 Member

Check this out!
Attached Images  
Old 2/3/08, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MustangSallie
Check this out!
Now that's more like the '68!! Looks nice!!
Old 2/3/08, 07:29 PM

If the louvers are the same quality and precision fit as the grille inserts you sold me Marcello, they have got to rock!

Old 2/3/08, 07:40 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by goesfast
Now that's more like the '68!! Looks nice!!
I have them and they are of high quality.

Attachment 38873 Attachment 38874
Attached Thumbnails side window louvers-im003985.jpg   side window louvers-im003990.jpg  
Old 2/3/08, 07:40 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Madpoodle
If the louvers are the same quality and precision fit as the grille inserts you sold me Marcello, they have got to rock!

Actually, the fit is better because the quarter panel has less variance in that area than the lower plastic grill area While we did use files direct from Ford for the grill insert, we used a laser to scan the OEM glass when developing the louvers so that every detail in the area where it fits to the car is identical to OE. The only difference is that we "extruded" the louvers into the center of the window, creating our part. (well it is a bit more involved than that, but that's the short-short version!)

Anyway, glad you are happy with the inserts - we're starting to do pre-production for the GT/CS owners for the same...
Old 2/3/08, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Check this out!

Flush mounted >stick on...IMO
Old 2/5/08, 01:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Who is selling this one? Do you have a web link?

How do you keep your glass clean under them?

Check this out!
Old 2/5/08, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Anyway, glad you are happy with the inserts - we're starting to do pre-production for the GT/CS owners for the same...

Old 2/5/08, 08:14 AM
GT Member

Keith

Are you referring to the stick-ons with the nine "slot" design? Then try this site:

www.southernmustangparts.com

Quick Reply: side window louvers