05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

SHR Louver owners, a question

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/07, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
SHR Louver owners, a question

One of the mods I want to do most to my new car are the Silverhorse style louvers. So a couple of questions for anyone who owns them:

A) did you order them painted, and how did it turn out? (do they really have a factory look)

B) they claim you can see out of them, but all the pictures look like the view is really distorted. Can you actually see anything out of them, or can you see enough to identify another vehicle in your blind spot?

Thanks in advance, I really want these, but I might pass if I can't see since it's going to be my DD.
Old 12/11/07, 09:21 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A) Order them painted. I had mine done locally at a shop that normally does good work... but I ended up ordering a second set from SHR prepainted. The prepaints are flawless.

B) Visibility - as clear as glass? No, but I can see out of them a lot better than I could with the window tint on the quarter windows.

How often do you actually turn to look out of them anyways? I normally use my mirrors.

Just get them, you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and trust me, get them pre-painted.
Old 12/11/07, 09:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SHR does Fantastic Quality work. A phone call will ensure your color is in stock. Even if not, the lead time is minimal for them to do it for you. All there colors thru 07 have been dead-on perfect. No reason to doubt the 08 colors will be any less. I love mine. And, YES, you can see out them. It is Lexan, not Glass, so is there some distortion. Yes, but minimal. They offer the best view of any out there. Soo, they are not only the best looking but functional too.
Old 12/11/07, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds good. I'm just trying to decide on these first, or to save for a while and do FRPP handling pack first. Decisions, decisions...but I think either way I'm definitely getting them. I just love how they look on all the cars I've seen here!

Thanks very much for the advice.
Old 12/11/07, 09:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hmmmmm, "Daily Driver" and an FRPP Handling Pkg. I like your style
Old 12/11/07, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey, if you only have one car, make it a good one!

My wife has the family truckster, and if she doesn't like the ride of the mustang, I won't have to wonder if she's going to scrape the front facia pulling out of Taco Bell since she won't want to borrow it! lol

She's not much of a car person and can't appreciate that I might worry about it.
Old 12/11/07, 09:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine were prepainted, i would have it no other way, they came out perfect.

i can see out them just fine. they are a little cloudy but its just the process they use to make them, i can see clearly if there is a car in the blind spot with them.
Old 12/11/07, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Now where's my wallet...
Old 12/11/07, 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I couldn't wait any longer, just ordered mine prepainted tonight.
Old 12/12/07, 12:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Mine were prepainted in Vista Blue, Marcello knows what his customers expect.

Old 12/12/07, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but how have you guys been installing? Have you been breaking out the glass, or using the removal tool? If the removal tool, were you able to do it without damaging the paint around the window opening?
Old 12/12/07, 03:09 PM
I lust for a M24

I put on a double layer of thick masking tape around the outside of the window. I then used a small pick to poke a hole through the adhesive from the inside, then used piano wire to cut out the window, back and forth, sawing action. Took my time, patience, and cut them out damage free. I removed the remaining adhesive w/ a razor.
Old 12/12/07, 04:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

same here, lots of masking tape, no damage.
i used a piece of nylon rope to cut mine out, worked good. just have to take time and have some patience.

mine came out perfect, i couldnt be happier
Old 12/12/07, 04:56 PM
GT Member

I got mine prepainted in black. The color matches perfectly. I have no trouble seeing through them, much better then some other louvers I've seen. Overall, I am extremely happy with them.
Old 12/12/07, 05:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Absolutely no need to break the window's. As a matter of fact they should be adorning your garage wall of fame, with all the other take-off's your replacing. Makes for a great conversation area. Piano Wire, Nylon, Fishing line, even an exacto knife. If you take your time, it is very doable. Taping, ie. padding, is a necessity in any mod you do. It is a non-issue.
Old 12/12/07, 05:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Justin, listen to the masses here and order them pre-painted! I was actually the one to start the tread in the interior section on these and they quality is AMAZING. I ordered my 1st set, with the expectation of my local painter to finish them. Needless to say he F-ed them up royally!! So much so, that I had to order another set. So I called Marcello up (a truely awesome guy), and he did me a favor and I bought a second set pre-painted. Match is dead on. Order a set, you won't be disappointed. Plus, you WILL be asked about these louvers whereever you go, as they are truely different than anything else out there.
Old 12/12/07, 06:21 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
I had got in on the preorder, got mine on a Friday in february, installed on sunday- paint cost me about 200 bucks in materials and about 10 hours total time...I LOVED them, but didnt use the recommended adhesion promoter...yeah, I'm one of those 'hate to read the directions' types

In june they both popped out the first time it sat out in the hot sun, no adhesion whatsoever...so I ordered the adhesive/adhesion promoter(local shops couldnt get it timely, Marcello had it in stock-here the next day) and while they were out, thought I'd buff up my paint and promptly rubbed thru a corner AAARRRRGGGHHHH...not feeling like repainting(doubt it could be reshot- woulda needed replaced anyway, and that masking is not fun at all) I just called Marcello and ordered a set of prepaints and are extremely happy with them...no muss/no fuss, if they mess them up they dont ship them...if your painter messes up, you gotta wait for another set for him to practice on...anyway on the prepaints the paint match is great, and I'm sure the guys that shoot them everyday are better at it than most 'first tries' would likely get...I say get the prepaints, you wont regret it

ps : dont forget the adhesion promoter!!!!!!!!!

one more thing- have you seen the thread in here on the grille inserts they are about to release??? go take a look at your AC condenser and count the dents, see if you think these aint one heck of a practical and great looking idea!
Old 12/12/07, 07:16 PM
I lust for a M24

So that's at least three of us who ordered a set of 'blanks', and then decided to order a set of pre-paints. Learn from our mistakes.
Old 12/12/07, 07:24 PM
GT Member

I painted mine myself.........

YEs I painted mine myself....... and I used these instructions..... you DONT have to remove the back seat, or trim panels.... I did it this way, and no problems.....

http://www.legendlimeregistry.com/forums/?t=2284

thanks to Robert.......... this way worked great for me..... lots less hassle

Tim