05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Shelby Razor Wheel Problems

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/10, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shelby Razor Wheel Problems

Hey gang,

Has anyone had any vibration issues with their Razors? I've had mine balanced three times now in two months and I get vibration/steering wheel movement at different speeds. Never had any of these issues with the stockers. I know with less rubber on the road, there is going to be a difference in the overall feel, but as I slow down or between 60-70 mph my steering wheel rotates back and forth. The Razors are hub centric correct? No need for hub rings, etc?

Thanks!!
Old 7/9/10, 06:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
humm At work someone took off a drive shaft for the van to get at something, when they put it back on they did it flipped ? as in the weights on it say were to thee top instead of bottom , I know weird , so they flipped it & the vibration stopped !
From your discription it sounds the same thing Odd is all.
Old 7/9/10, 07:16 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does your car still have the retainer nuts/clips on the rotors? If so you need to remove them as they will cause vibration with after market wheels.
https://themustangsource.com/f637/go...2/#post5565029

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...ake%20Disc.pdf

Last edited by NJ3; 7/9/10 at 07:17 PM.
Old 7/9/10, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

there is another type of balancing (the name escapes me) where not only do they balance the tire on the rim but it can determine if possibly the tire itself might be bad. I was told that one way to check is when the tire is spinning on the machine, stand there and watch at the bottom of the tire. If the tire is bad (and its not on that better type of balancer) you can see that the tire itself has a bit of a 'wobble' to it where the tread is.

I put razors on my 06 and never had to remove retainer clips for them to be balanced. I would look into tire balancing and make 100% sure that one or more of the tires might not be bad.

Andretti

Last edited by Andretti1; 7/9/10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 7/10/10, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think those wheel are not top quality despite the "Shelby" branding. I have install those on my car in 2007 and since then thay have been balanced 5-6 times, and every time they came out good out of the machine but still bad on the car. I also went 2-3 times to a shop with "Road force balancing" with this method they suspected that 2 out of 4 tires were very bad, you could see it jumping on the machine.

So at this point I got my dealer to replace 2 tires in case they were "out of round" and it was a bit better but still not perfect.

Of course clips are removed, and tried "centeric hub rings" which also helped but still no perfect balancing.

I went to a shop with a machine that balance on the car and to my surprise the 2 worst wheels out of which we installed new tires were shaking and you could see the tire again moving up and down and a bit of side to side as well. They took it off and rotated them one stud and re-torqued no change. They than took a device to measure the movement and determined that the rim was the culprit, it's like if the center of the wheel was not centered. We than tried removing the "Hub centeric ring" and it got worst, so we put it back on and re-torqued the wheels very slowly to minimize the pull from any preticular studs and making sure it stays center as much as possible.

the conclusion from this last dealer is that the center hub of the wheel is prettey well centered and when you put them on a balancing machine they are centered from the hub to the machine with a coned shaped adaptor and balanced that way the can balanced them pretty good. But in this case the stud holes are not used.

You could also use another type of adaptor for wheel balancing machines that use the 5 studs holes to attached the wheel for the balancing process. According to my dealer if I would try to use this type of machine (which would give similar results than the "on the car" balancing) my wheels would probably be "Out of spec" !

According to them it's cause by a bad manufacturing of the wheels, the fact that I used "Hub centric rings" helps a bit but does not fix the issue completely.

You can try it yourself by jacking your car from the back or on a lift (make sure it's secured properly), put your car in 5th gear and spin the tires. Watch carefully the wheel movements. Of course if it's in the front you will need to rotate the wheels to to the back for testing.

So in my case since my wheels are 3 years old it's too late to make a claim for defects so I will live with it !

Last edited by Dineau; 7/10/10 at 07:13 AM.
Old 7/10/10, 09:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJ3
Does your car still have the retainer nuts/clips on the rotors? If so you need to remove them as they will cause vibration with after market wheels.
https://themustangsource.com/f637/go...2/#post5565029

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...ake%20Disc.pdf
That would be my guess as well - caused me the same problem when I put on my aftermarkets.
Old 7/10/10, 11:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
try to isolate which tire/wheel is causing the problem. Take a back wheel/tire and put it on the front see if the problem is still there. What brand tires are you running. I ended up replacing one of my tires and the problem I had mostly went away.
Old 7/12/10, 02:24 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! I had the wheels rotated and all re-balanced at a different shop. At this time, it appears to be much better. All the retainer clips had been removed already, so that was not the issue. I'm wondering if the tire pressure sensor on one of the wheels could be loose? They're only held on with large band clamps. Wierd!
Old 7/15/13, 09:20 AM
GT Member

Good feedback
Old 7/15/13, 11:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
did it help you?
Old 7/15/13, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
did it help you?
Haven't done it yet. Waiting to install my new tires but I didn't know about this problem. Hopefully it all goes well. I am now on my raxiom headlights wanting to get hid kits lol