05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Shelby Hood Pins Install Walkthrough

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/07, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shelby Hood Pins Install Walkthrough

Anybody know if there is a detailed walkthrough on the Shelby hood pins? I want a set for my new 08, but when I called Shelby they said that the kit does not come with instructions and I'm pretty much on my own. I can probably figure it out, but I really don't like drilling the hood based on intuition and a prayer.
Old 8/28/07, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

try http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=1064

There is installation instructions on alot of goodies there. I am amazed that you were told what you were told. They are trying to change things and make it better so things like this dont happen. Good luck and let me know how you make out
Old 8/28/07, 05:19 PM

Perfect, Webba! I think I can do that okay. I was fairly surprised at the response I got as well, but it happens. Thanks, again!
Old 9/2/07, 12:10 AM
President of Shelby Autos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lqdslvr
Anybody know if there is a detailed walkthrough on the Shelby hood pins? I want a set for my new 08, but when I called Shelby they said that the kit does not come with instructions and I'm pretty much on my own. I can probably figure it out, but I really don't like drilling the hood based on intuition and a prayer.

I am sorry if someone at shelby said that. If you go to the shelby performance parts website

shelbyperformanceparts.com they will help you, there is also a grid that comes with the pins as well as instructions.

Amy
Old 9/2/07, 10:52 AM

Now that's what I call service!
Old 9/2/07, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

There are several ways to do it. You can choose the area where the outer adjustable hood rubber bumpers are or where the inner ones are. I like the outer myself. That will get the pins about 5'' from the edge of the hood which is better for the infamous hood shake.

I have an aftermarket 2 layer fiberglass hood. Since there's a hollow space between the layers I glued a piece of heater hose to the inside of the hood so water won't fill the **** hood up when washing the car. I took the outer bumpers off and mounted the pins to the top layer of the radiator support only. If you try to go through both the top and bottom layers of the support the pins won't be long enough to come up through the hood. I had to dremel out the existing hole just enough to allow a flat washer and nut to be slipped into the opening. Then I used a screwdriver to hold the nut in place while cranking down the top nut which is easy to get to. You have to be careful about the angle of the hood compared to the rad support. In other words the hood is sloped and the rad support is level.

Once the pins are installed you'll have to tweak the height adjustment of the main pins so they are at the proper height when the hood is closed. With the hood up you can install some heater hose or a soft rubber bushing to the main pins to aid in keeping some decent upward tension on the hood while it's closed. That helps greatly for a good, tight lock pin fit. I used a set of rubber bushings from some old parts box at my shop and cut them to fit the main pins so they were just tall enough to put a little upward tension on the hood when it's closed.

The only other advice I could give you is be sure to apply plenty of masking tape on the hood around the area you are working to keep the scratches from ruining your day. You'll need a hole saw bit for a neat clean hole in the hood. You can go bigger than the hole in the top plate. I went just big enough for the heater hose to fit snugly between the layers of the hood.
Old 9/2/07, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

By the way, not to knock Shelby, but they sell hood pins for something like $65. They are nothing but overpriced FRPP pins that sell for $35 elsewhere.
Old 9/2/07, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Shelby...overpriced...???

NO WAY!
Old 9/3/07, 06:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Way!
Old 9/3/07, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by amyb
I am sorry if someone at shelby said that. If you go to the shelby performance parts website

shelbyperformanceparts.com they will help you, there is also a grid that comes with the pins as well as instructions.

Amy
Thanks, Amy! And I concur: that's what I call service!
Old 8/26/08, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lqdslvr
Resurrecting this thread, I just ordered the Scott Drake billet hood pins as well. I've done a search, but have not yet found a walk through on this install either. Did I miss it or is there a walk through on this type of hood pin somewhere that I missed? It seems that where folks have put the pin location is all over the board. I'd like to see an actual install of this kit using the tabs with a how to on drilling the hood with pics.

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 8/26/08 at 07:23 AM.
Old 8/29/08, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Anybody?
Old 8/29/08, 03:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
moved to exterior mods
Old 8/29/08, 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Check this thread, and go to post 58. There is a PDF of the install instructions....

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...rake+hood+pins

I would offer this advice on the install....

Buy new stainless steel screws to replace the ones that come with the kit. Lots of folks have broken screws. Reason being, there are two layers of hood. You do not want the screw to bind on the lower layer of hood, when installing from above. So you want the lower layer of hood to be slightly drilled out compared to the top. Also, if you allow the screw to grab on the bottom layer of hood, it will pull the top layer down.....

Take your grille completely out. Makes it much easier for marking the location of the pins when time to drill the hood....

Mike

Last edited by Got Oatz; 8/29/08 at 07:56 PM.
Old 8/29/08, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Got Oatz
Check this thread, and go to post 58. There is a PDF of the install instructions....

I would offer this advice on the install....

Buy new stainless steel screws to replace the ones that come with the kit. Lots of folks have broken screws. Reason being, there are two layers of hood. You do not want the screw to bind on the lower layer of hood, when installing from above. So you want the lower layer of hood to be slightly drilled out compared to the top. Also, if you allow the screw to grab on the bottom layer of hood, it will pull the top layer down.....

Take your grille completely out. Makes it much easier for marking the location of the pins when time to drill the hood....

Mike
ok was wondering same thing? how do you go to post 58?
Old 8/29/08, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry, apparently forgot the link to the thread...fixed now....

Mike
Old 8/29/08, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks much
Old 8/31/08, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Awesome thanks still scary drilling a hole holes in a new hood hey if i mess up more reason to buy a cervini b2