05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Saleen Hood

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/06, 06:06 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi I have aquestion that you guys might be able to help me answer.

After looking through all of the functional hoods I found out that Saleen has the most efficient aerodinamic functional hood. While the other hoods try to put cold air in through a scoop, this hood ventilates the hot air out without creating extra air resistance.

My question is what is the weight difference between the saleen and the Ford factory hood?

Thanks!

Edit: BTW I am geting a Supercharger soon so I am trying to get the hot air from under the hood out before I do the SC upgrade.
Already have American Racing 17'Wheels, MagnaFlow X-Pype, CAI, Some IPAA Fog Lights Behind a lower Bullit Grill, and offcourse a top Bullit grill.
Old 2/9/06, 11:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mino, what kind of CAI do you have? Will you be selling it when you put on the SC? I might be first in line.
Old 2/10/06, 07:07 AM

If you ordered a Saleen aluminum hood which is what I have, I can tell you there is virtually no difference in the weight.
Old 2/10/06, 10:37 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(icemant180 @ February 10, 2006, 12:24 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Mino, what kind of CAI do you have? Will you be selling it when you put on the SC? I might be first in line.
[/b][/quote]

I have the MRT CAI. I was almost sold on the Vortech SC but now that I do more research I find that 3 core AIR - AIR intercooler is better for everyday ride, than Vortech's AIR-Water Aftercooler.

I dont feel like adding ice water in the summer, couse its getting to hot, so I'll put the SC purchase on hold for another couple of months at least. I want to see if Procharger comes out with new tunes that solve some issues with their SC.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ncblack @ February 10, 2006, 8:10 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If you ordered a Saleen aluminum hood which is what I have, I can tell you there is virtually no difference in the weight.
[/b][/quote]

Hmm I thought the hood was fiberglass... here is the Saleen Link

Can you post a picture of how your car looks with the hood
Old 2/10/06, 10:41 AM

The 06 Saleens come with aluminum hoods. I was able to buy a damaged aluminum one off ebay very cheap.
Old 2/10/06, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Good choice I happen to love the saleen hood it will look great on your car

ncblack your car looks great
Old 2/10/06, 11:21 AM
V6 Member

Thanks guys! I am getting my hood on Tuesday, so I will leave my car at the local body shop on Wendesday.
I'll post some pics when I have it all done.

BTW, I dont know how correct this info is but when I talked to the sales guy at Saleen he said that the Saleen hood is build lighter than the regular Ford Factory hood, he just didnt have the specific weight differences.
Old 2/10/06, 11:41 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
So if I order a hood from Saleen will it be aluminum or glass?
Old 2/10/06, 12:27 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ February 10, 2006, 2:44 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

The guys at Saleen told me they will begin offering the aluminum hood on their website soon. If you call them and ask, they might sell you one. It's going to cost more than the fiberglass hood though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Murphy77 @ February 10, 2006, 1:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Good choice I happen to love the saleen hood it will look great on your car

ncblack your car looks great
[/b][/quote]

Thanks Dude!
Old 2/10/06, 12:31 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ February 10, 2006, 12:44 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Hi StungNut,

Well I didnt order mine directly from Saleen. I got it from http://www.cal-mustang.com/
It was cheaper from there and shiping was only $95.00

Here is The Actual Link for the Hood

I just got off the phone with their customer service dept, and they double checked for me. THis hood is Fiberglass, and not aluminum which means lighter...I think .... This was their last one in storage so if you order now it will take a bit longer for shipping since they'll have to order one from saleen.
Old 2/10/06, 01:38 PM
GT Member

'glass is going to be about 10 LBS more.
Old 2/10/06, 02:04 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(av99gt @ February 10, 2006, 2:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
'glass is going to be about 10 LBS more.
[/b][/quote]

I think you are right about the weight ... but I still think is a better option than most of the other functional hoods. The issue was that your hood gets so hot when driving that any air that gets in through the scoop, by the time it reaches the CAI its already at hood temperature. By using the Saleen hood, you increase the air flow and thus help in lowering the temps under the hood, which is my main concern, especially once I get the SC.
I'll want as much air flow as I can get without removing the hood from the car [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Cheers
Old 2/10/06, 04:32 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Euphoria @ February 10, 2006, 3:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think you are right about the weight ... but I still think is a better option than most of the other functional hoods. The issue was that your hood gets so hot when driving that any air that gets in through the scoop, by the time it reaches the CAI its already at hood temperature. By using the Saleen hood, you increase the air flow and thus help in lowering the temps under the hood, which is my main concern, especially once I get the SC.
I'll want as much air flow as I can get without removing the hood from the car [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Cheers
[/b][/quote]
My thoughts exactly. I have yet to see a CAI that, IMO, would signifigantly lower the intake temp since they are all still wide open to the engine compartment. Give me one that actually pulls in outside air or get some of that heat out of there with an "open" hood.

So what's the stock hood made out of?
Old 2/10/06, 05:36 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ February 10, 2006, 5:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My thoughts exactly. I have yet to see a CAI that, IMO, would signifigantly lower the intake temp since they are all still wide open to the engine compartment. Give me one that actually pulls in outside air or get some of that heat out of there with an "open" hood.

So what's the stock hood made out of?
[/b][/quote]

Hmm I a not sure about the material of the stock hood. I googled it butno results.
THe only way to get a real CAI is to pay for a Custom build CAI that is attached to the engine, where the CAI is sitting of the top of the hood. You might have seen one of those, they ussualy come with three or four Air Valves, and the air is sucked from outside the Hood. YEah they look agresive!

Ownly downside ... they are expensive as heck.....
Old 2/12/06, 07:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

stock hood is aluminum
Old 2/13/06, 07:00 AM

Thanks. Makes me feel better about possibly getting the '06 Saleen hood. Glad to hear they're both aluminum.