05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Rocker Stripes: Wrong placement?

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/06, 09:58 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello everyone! Now that the rain has FINALLY stopped in Sacramento, my stripe painter installed the Baltimore Mods rocker stripes two days ago (after having the stripes painted on in min-Feb when the rain had stopped for 3 days ONLY). I used Adrenalin's pictures to show the painter where to put the rocker stripes and now I'm worried! I've noticed that most all the rocker stripes on our cars follow the curve in the door instead of the bottom of the rocker panel across the bottom of the door. So now my stripe follows the rocker panel instead of the curve inside the door panel.
When I first considered where to place them way back when, I looked at 69 and 70's and it looked to me like the rocker stripes followed the rocker and so I didn't worry about it! Now I see mustangs in my city and it seems they have it following the other line! I am doing a tribute to the GT 350's and thought I was on the right track...
Should I have my stripe painter remove them and buy a new set and have them appiled?? Eeek!

Opinions please!!

Joe
Old 4/20/06, 10:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(albireo @ April 20, 2006, 11:01 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hello everyone! Now that the rain has FINALLY stopped in Sacramento, my stripe painter installed the Baltimore Mods rocker stripes two days ago (after having the stripes painted on in min-Feb when the rain had stopped for 3 days ONLY). I used Adrenalin's pictures to show the painter where to put the rocker stripes and now I'm worried! I've noticed that most all the rocker stripes on our cars follow the curve in the door instead of the bottom of the rocker panel across the bottom of the door. So now my stripe follows the rocker panel instead of the curve inside the door panel.
When I first considered where to place them way back when, I looked at 69 and 70's and it looked to me like the rocker stripes followed the rocker and so I didn't worry about it! Now I see mustangs in my city and it seems they have it following the other line! I am doing a tribute to the GT 350's and thought I was on the right track...
Should I have my stripe painter remove them and buy a new set and have them appiled?? Eeek!

Opinions please!!

Joe
[/b][/quote]
Can we see some pics ?
I really don't think it will matter. If you measure the distance between the bottom ridge of "hockey stick" curvature in the door and the beginning of the bend below that, it is 5" from front to back until you reeach the very end of the "hockey stick" curvature.
When we did mine we measured 1" down from that curvature until we reached the back, then used a level and straightedge to transfer the line to the edge of the rear wheel well. (did that make sense [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] )
Old 4/20/06, 10:32 AM
Cobra Member

Check out the second post. That should be encouraging.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...tripe+alignment

I have seen it done both ways. Whichever way that you prefer. Stripes aligned with the rocker are level, whereas stripes aligned with the curve are slanted up towards the back of the car.
Old 4/20/06, 10:39 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
It's all about what YOU like, but personally I think lining it up with the rocker moulding looks a thousand times better.
And, if it helps, that's the way the '07 Shelby GT 500 is lined up. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 10:40 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a little confused. You used my pics, so obviously those are from a while ago, but please post a pic of your car. Here is a pic from when I had the stripes. Oh and just so you know, personally I think some just line it up with the curve in the door because it is easier [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Old 4/20/06, 11:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I measured 1" down from the "Hockey Stick" Curvature in the door. When we got toward the rear where it starts to curve upward we used a straightedge and level to transfer the line to the front of the rear wheel well.
Here are a couple pics.
Up Close
and
At A Distance

I don't think they raise upward, like some people say they will if you follow the edge I did, but it could just be me too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 11:41 AM
V6 Member

Sorry for the confusion! Here's a shot from my car. The red line is where the stripe goes to on cars I see.
I hope this helps!

Joe
Old 4/20/06, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

It looks really good...don't worry about anything.
Old 4/20/06, 11:48 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you are worrying about nothing. However, if it still bugs you in a week then swap it. Afterall, it is all about what you want, and it sounds like you want what everyone else in your area has. Stripes installed wrong [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 11:54 AM
V6 Member

No, I really don't want what everyone else has! I just didn't want them placed wrong... That's why I looked at yours - I KNEW you knew what you were doing! It's just when I saw lots of Pony ones off the new car lot I saw they were different. I was worried that maybe you put them on the way you liked it rather than the other way.
Since I so enjoyed what the stripes looked like originally back in 69 and 70 I like that look better than the new 06 Pony stripes, I went for that.
- I was just as you said - worried about nothing!
Joe
Old 4/20/06, 11:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to install them, (Well within reason [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] )
Your's look great so don't worry about it unless you want to change them. Makes your unique from the ones around you.
Old 4/20/06, 02:12 PM

I think the problem is you were looking at stripes on dealer's lots. Dealers are notorious for screwing things up.
Old 4/20/06, 02:58 PM
V6 Member

That's exactly what I was doing - compaing what I have with what I saw from the dealer - thinking that the dealer had "what was correct."

Joe
Old 4/20/06, 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put mine on following the hockeystick. It makes the lifted rear more pronounced. Then I lowered the rear a bit and it looks better, but I wish I had just followed the rockers in the first place. Neither is right or wrong, but I like it in the lower position better. I did see one car where the GT300 was placed behind the door! Ok, now that's wrong. Your car looks great BTW! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 03:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont worry about it. I much prefer they follow the rocker not the "hockey stick", looks more like the "originals."
Old 4/20/06, 03:51 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the encouragment and the kind comments about my car!

I'm not so concerned with "what people think" as such - except that my goal was to try to honor the original cars. If I did something that wasn't "correct" I just wanted to make sure I could make it as close as I could.

I sure LOVE my car!

A BIG super thanks to Jason Haskin's Hot Rod Shop in Roseville, Ca (near Sacramento)!
I've done business with companies all over the planet and have not found one company as professional, courteous, thorough, and with an attention to detail to satisfy the most demanding customer. Even after painting my car, two months later he stayed after work THREE hours just to make sure my rocker stripes were perfect...

This guy is something else.
Really.
Oddly enough he paints custom jobs for lots of Hollywood/Sports stars, and treated me as if I was as "important" as they were. I can't say enough.

Here's a plug for Jason:

http://www.haskinpaint.com/

Joe
Old 4/20/06, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think it looks great where it is [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 09:27 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(albireo @ April 20, 2006, 4:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
- thinking that the dealer had "what was correct."

Joe
[/b][/quote]
That's VERY rarely the case.