05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Repaint needed?

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/05, 09:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question regarding the criteria that warrants a repaint. I have a spot below the tail light on that little curve thingy ( descriptive huh?? ) that the dealer is aware of and is willing to repair. I hadn't been able to get back up there and in the meantime my fiance mentioned that there were other "bad spots" that should be looked at and he wants the entire car repainted. I haven't noticed them, but I can't say that I've been looking for any defects either. Still can't believe this car is mine! He just noticed them and said he would have to show me in the daylight. I think he just wants the car to be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for me since this is my first brand new car. Back to my question. Are there any standard characteristics to look for so that I can feel more comfortable bringing this up and not feeling like I am just nit-picking it to death, and if so any info/opinions on how to handle it in case I get the run around would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 1/3/05, 11:06 PM
GT Member

If you can't notice the blemishes I wouldn't worry about it. Aftermarket paint is never as durable as the factory stuff due to the curing process used at the factory. therefore, it will scratch/chip/swirl much easier if repainted. I am the most **** person in the world when it comes to paint, and I could probably find some sort of blemish in any paint job, be it factory or aftermarket. There is no such thing as a PERFECT paint job, and different defects are more noticable to different people. The most important thing is that YOU are happy with it.
Old 1/4/05, 12:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to disagree. I think I HAVE seen a perfect paint job. On my cousins 69 Mach 1. It took almost a year to complete and I don't even want to THINK about how much it cost for the body work plus paint work, but as far as I could tell, it was perfect!

I DO doubt the factory will spend 10 or so months prepping each and every car though!

Yesterday, I was at one of the local Ford dealers and while waiting on the sales guy to get me some information, I notice a few blemishes in the paint on a white V6 they had in the show room... And I STILL can't stand that factory orange peel!

PS: My spelling REALLY needs help!
Old 1/4/05, 01:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also remember that some of the "spots" in paint jobs people see are mostly "on" the paint and not in it. I sold Volvo's and can tell you that we had to repaint a few cars as everyone screws up from time to time. However, while a repaint can match, or exceed, the quality of factory paint I would be worried about quality as well just as the post above indicated.

That said, if the blemishes are small and appear to not be below the paint surface I would be more inclined to use a clay-bar on the surface of the car and see what that accomplished. These cars pick up some weird stuff in transit! And, those blemishes can look eerily like something in the paint too so even if it did look like it was under the paint the clay bar is worth a shot. And, DO NOT trust a that a dealer's detail shop knows what they are doing...sometimes they don't

If that did not work I would be tempted to find a very good pro-detailer (look for somebody insured/bonded who does expensive show cars) to wet-sand the paint. This would be a great excuse to end up with a flawless paint-job, and it might prevent the need for a repaint. Also, if they are insured/bonded there are no worries, becasue if they screw up and ruin the paint it's coverd. (Make sure their coverage is high enough to ensure a quality repaint...most are more than sufficient)
Old 1/4/05, 01:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oops. double post...sorry :bang:
Old 1/4/05, 04:44 PM
GT Member

Thanks, I'll keep all this in mind. If the sun will ever come back out maybe I can see what he's talking about. I haven't treated her yet to a first class cleaning and wax. I am hoping from everything ya'll have said and from other things I have read that a good wax will take care of it. Thanks again!