05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Removing SHR Rear Panel?

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/06, 07:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Removing SHR Rear Panel?

I need to remove the Silver Horse Racing rear panel and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to get it off without damaging the panel or the paint underneath?
Old 12/8/06, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't say as I have removed anything that big before, but my usual technique is heating up the area with my wife's hair dryer and then slowly prying the edges with a nylon trim tool that I picked up somewhere. It's kind of like a wide nylon screwdriver. The other things I've used are the plastic applicators you get with Bondo. They have thin edges and are wedge shaped, and work very well.

I have one of those Silverhorse Racing trunk lid inserts and like it a lot. But, if I had to remove it, I'd start along the bottom, then up the sides. Once you get the bottom free you'll have a lot of leverage to get the rest of it loose.

Clean up all the adhesive with Goo Gone. Great stuff.
Old 12/8/06, 08:10 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I need to remove the Silver Horse Racing rear panel and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to get it off without damaging the panel or the paint underneath?
Use strong fishing line with leather work gloves..may I ask why you are removing??
Old 12/8/06, 08:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Dental floss or fishing line and plastic shims...
Old 12/8/06, 08:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Use strong fishing line with leather work gloves..may I ask why you are removing??
I believe I'm going to get a billet grille and I don't want the black panel on the back with the shinny grille up front. I know, I'm strange. It will be for sale at a reasonable price if anyone is interested.
Old 12/9/06, 06:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I believe I'm going to get a billet grille and I don't want the black panel on the back with the shinny grille up front. I know, I'm strange. It will be for sale at a reasonable price if anyone is interested.

Rich, I may be interesed in your center fog grille & pony if you replace it with a billet grille that you mentioned.

Tom
Old 12/9/06, 07:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I would email Marcello @SHR - I remember him saying in the thread on the rear panel medallion that he removed his lots of time for fit, etc.
Old 12/9/06, 03:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Marcello emailed me and said use fishing line. I took it off today and used leather gloves as suggested. It took about 20 minutes to get it off but an hour to remove the sticky residue from the back of the panel. The sticky tape residue that was left of the rear section was pretty easy to get off.
Old 12/10/06, 08:03 AM
GTR Member

Marcello emailed me and said
use fishing line
. I took it off today and used leather gloves as suggested. It took about 20 minutes to get it off but an hour to remove the sticky residue from the back of the panel. The sticky tape residue that was left of the rear section was pretty easy to get off.
Yeah!! What do I win?
Old 12/10/06, 07:33 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marcello emailed me and said use fishing line. I took it off today and used leather gloves as suggested. It took about 20 minutes to get it off but an hour to remove the sticky residue from the back of the panel. The sticky tape residue that was left of the rear section was pretty easy to get off.
LOL - that's the adhesion promoter we use on the panel to insure that there is *never* a failure of the adhesive on our side of things ! Just imagine what it's like when we screw up the tape install on a part and have to stop to pull it off and re-do it... talk about stopping up production. We thought about not using that stuff a couple of times because of the time / effort, but I think it's worth it for long-term viability of the piece on the car.