05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Removing the rear badge w/ SHR panel

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/06, 11:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing the rear badge w/ SHR panel

Maybe Marcelllo can help me best here, but any suggestions are welcome.

I have the SHR honeycomb panel and I just received a pony rear badge (planning to remove all GT badges), but I don't want to have to remove the SHR panel in order to replace the badge.
Can it be done, and if yes, how?
If not, is it possible to remove the SHR panel, clean the tape residue, install new tape and re-attach the panel? It sounds easy, I know, but has anyone done it already?

Thanks!
Old 6/28/06, 03:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, that rear badge is a PITA to take off!!! I suggest getting a plastic putty knife, some beer and a good seat to get that thing off!!!! And then the 3M tape is almost impossible to get off!

good luck, took me about an hour
Old 6/28/06, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had mine off in about 10 mins. Marcello has stated that in test fitting his rear badge that he did remove the factory badge w/panel on place.

Use some fishing line and work back and forth like a saw while applying light downward pressure.
Old 6/29/06, 08:16 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, we've gotten them off pretty easy - pick a nice hot day, and you will need two tools to do it with the panel in place:

A flat screwdriver (high quality)
A cotter-key puller (looks like a 90 degree hook tool)

Put the screwdriver into the keyhole area and start to pry the top away from the body (don't hit the body mind you)

As it starts to pull away, get the cotter key puller in (it's too big to do it from the start) and then when it is in a bit, give a good pull and it should come right off.

BTW - you might want to wait a couple weeks - our new billet rear pieces are almost ready I think a lot of people are going to like them !!

Oh, and yeah, if you do need to remove the panel - fishing line is the trick. It is no fun to have to clean the residue off, but it can be removed, cleaned, and re-installed in about 2 hours, maybe quicker if you can keep from going crazy during the peeling of the tape. Darn 3M quality....