05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

remove GT foglights?

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/05, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone, I will be purchasing a black 06 GT in January, and I would like to know if it's possible to remove the foglights from the front grill? Will there be a hole left in the grill? If there is, can stock V6 grills be ordered anywhere? (I assume they would fit right in?) I am not reallyu a fan of those huge fog lights. If not, then I guess I could just fill in the holes with black plastic.

The front horse emblem, when that is taken off is there a shape of a horse left on the grill? Or is the grill clean behind it?

The GT emblem on the side of the car, is that held on with "3m tape" or something similer? Or is it actually bolted on through the fender?

One last question, is it possible to remove the chrome round emblem on the back of the car? Or is that part of the trunk release lock? What is behind that chrome object, if it's something like two small bolt holes, thats fine I can fill them in. If there is a large hole, that will be harder.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 12/3/05, 10:57 AM

For real?
Old 12/3/05, 11:06 AM
V6 Member

Valid request; I will be going for a "sleeper" look when my car comes in, such as spoiler delete, side pony badges, rear trunk facia black-out, and non-fogs front grill. FYI, Brad has mentioned the goal to remove all "GT" references from the SourceHorse.

Different strokes for different folks.

T-Bone: The side and rear emblems have alignment holes tapped into the sheet metal, but are attached with 3M-like tape.
Old 12/3/05, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by T-BONE+December 3, 2005, 12:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T-BONE @ December 3, 2005, 12:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>For real?
[/b]

yes, for real. I always do that with my vehicles, take off all the emblems and trim. If someone can't tell what type of car it is, then they probably aren't people I hang out with anyway

<!--QuoteBegin-zonasvt
@December 3, 2005, 12:09 PM
Valid request; I will be going for a "sleeper" look when my car comes in, such as spoiler delete, side pony badges, rear trunk facia black-out, and non-fogs front grill. FYI, Brad has mentioned the goal to remove all "GT" references from the SourceHorse.
Different strokes for different folks.

T-Bone: The side and rear emblems have alignment holes tapped into the sheet metal, but are attached with 3M-like tape.
[/quote]

Not so much a "sleeper", but I just like a clean vehicle with no extras. And honestly the fog lights look way way to big, they look to be the same size as the headlights! :scratch:

Alignment holes behind the GT emblems? well, I suppose I'll leave them on until I feel like welding and getting the fenders re-painted.
Old 12/3/05, 12:31 PM

If you're taking all that stuff off the car, than why are you ordering a Mustang???
Old 12/3/05, 12:45 PM
GT Member

I dont know if it would fit but after Christmas I'll have an extra V6 grille and I'll sell it to you for real cheap.
Old 12/3/05, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 2005 Mustang V6+December 3, 2005, 1:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2005 Mustang V6 @ December 3, 2005, 1:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dont know if it would fit but after Christmas I'll have an extra V6 grille and I'll sell it to you for real cheap.
[/b]

thats what I think I'll be doing! I talked with the ford dealer today and they said that it would be possible to order a stock V6 grill with the car, but obviously I would have to put it on myself. Awesome, thats great So if I can't find a used V6 grill, I can order one from the dealer (and get raped )

<!--QuoteBegin-J2snoop
@December 3, 2005, 1:34 PM
If you're taking all that stuff off the car, than why are you ordering a Mustang???
[/quote]
eh... why not? it's my car and I can do whatever I want to it. I don't understand why someone would want to put neon lights under a car, or make a 4 cylinder car real nasty loud, or get huge bling bling wheels, or put stickers all over their car. But I don't give them grief for it, it's their car and I don't have to drive it.
Old 12/3/05, 03:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be advised the V6 grille will not fit cleanly on the GT front end. Others have tried this unsuccessfully in the past.
Old 12/3/05, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Martimus@December 3, 2005, 4:37 PM
Be advised the V6 grille will not fit cleanly on the GT front end. Others have tried this unsuccessfully in the past.
by "cleanly" what do you mean, do you mean the mounting process (drilling extra holes or something) or do you mean that it doesn't line up right?

Thanks,
Old 12/3/05, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

Think the v-6 grill leaves a 1/8" gap where it should sit flush on the bumper, is slightly smaller.
Old 12/3/05, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by nynvolt@December 3, 2005, 4:47 PM
Think the v-6 grill leaves a 1/8" gap where it should sit flush on the bumper, is slightly smaller.
I could live with a bit of a gap, no problems
Old 12/3/05, 09:55 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Martimus@December 3, 2005, 4:37 PM
I am one of those that have tried it. There is not only a large gap (1/2" on each side) but the tabs that hold the grille in place are in different positions and you'd have to find a new way to mount the grille.
Trust me, if you care anything at all about how your car looks, you won't like the results.

To answer your original questions:
Yes, there will be holes where the fogs were and yes there will be an outline of the pony. (where the pony mounts is like an indentation in the shape of the pony) Your GT emblems will have the alignment holes, but the '06 pony fender emblems fit in those same holes. The rear fake gas gap has nothing to do with the lock, so it can be removed with no problems, but it also has alignment holes.

No need to defend yourself on wanting a clean look. I've always prefered it too.
Old 12/3/05, 10:03 PM

Just found a pic for ya.

OBTW, something I didn't know until I tried the swap, the honeycomb "holes" in the GT grille are larger than the "holes" in the V6 grille.
Old 12/3/05, 10:08 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how about a billet like grille? then paint it black?

can't wait to see it finished...
Old 12/3/05, 10:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Autotooner@December 3, 2005, 11:11 PM
how about a billet like grille? then paint it black?

can't wait to see it finished...

Hm... thats probably the best option. Scuff it up real good with some sand paper, then spray it. I did that on my old GMC grill a while back, worked like a charm :-) Looks like thats the way to go, based on StangNut's experience. Thanks for the info StangNut! And everyone else as well!

I wonder what black GT emblems would look like? :scratch: Now there is something to try and save a bunch of trouble on body work! I assume there is a way to pop them out with out breaking them? Especially while they are new and have not become brittle
Old 12/4/05, 09:02 PM

They can be easily removed by heating them up then slowly prying them off. Some will suggest using fishing line or dental floss to"saw" behind the emblem. Unless you just want to make a mes I wouldn't do it that way. The heating and prying method will remove all of the adhesive backing with the emblem and leave only a little bit of glue residue on the car. You can get that off with Goo-Gone or WD-40.

I'd think a black GT emblem would look good. Especially if you could somehow chrome the line in the emblem that is now black. Basically a reverse of how it is stock.
The black GT emblem would show up a lot better on light colored cars than the chrome one.
Old 12/4/05, 09:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@December 4, 2005, 10:05 PM
They can be easily removed by heating them up then slowly prying them off. Some will suggest using fishing line or dental floss to"saw" behind the emblem. Unless you just want to make a mes I wouldn't do it that way. The heating and prying method will remove all of the adhesive backing with the emblem and leave only a little bit of glue residue on the car. You can get that off with Goo-Gone or WD-40.

I'd think a black GT emblem would look good. Especially if you could somehoe chrome the line in the emblem that is now black. Basically a reverse of how it is stock.
The black GT emblem would show up a lot better on light colored cars than the chrome one.

Thanks for the tip, yea I have taken off a bunch of that stuff before, I usually just use a plastic ice scraper and my thumbs I usually end up bending the little emblems though (or even breaking them), because I don't plan on re-using them. I'll have to be real careful with these though. I'd like them to be subtle, so I think black would look pretty good. We'll find out I guess!