05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Remote Keyless entry keypad

Search this Thread

Old 1/24/07, 09:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Remote Keyless entry keypad

I know that some of you hate the keyless entry pads. But, I found a slightly different place to mount it, and I think it looks pretty darn good. I got this idea from reading that downs ford use to have a "cowl-mounted entry system". When I called them, they said they just stick it on the cowl, so that's what I did.

Attachment 18073 Attachment 18074

In case you are wondering, it is level with the bottom of the cowl (not the top), and is *barely* seen when driving. You only see the top of the black plastic. Besides, if you are looking that low when driving, there is something wrong.

Also, I put it that far toward the middle so that I wouldn't scrape the windshield wiper with my ring if using it. I spent at least 10 minutes determining the exact location of where it should be, and that is what I thought would be best.

THE BEST PART: it can pop the trunk, which means NO interior trunk release button needed
Attached Thumbnails Remote Keyless entry keypad-entry-001.jpg   Remote Keyless entry keypad-entry-002.jpg  
Old 1/24/07, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nice. Another owner on the list put his keyless entry in a similar place. His was more to the left though.
Old 1/24/07, 10:55 AM
GT Member

I am missing something here.... my key fob unlocks the door, why would anyone need this?
Old 1/24/07, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by TinPony2
I am missing something here.... my key fob unlocks the door, why would anyone need this?
In case you leave your keys and fob locked inside the car, Moss Mustang sells it for a little over 100 bucks.
Old 1/24/07, 01:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you program it yourself? Or do you have to take it to the dealer?
Old 1/24/07, 02:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Yes you program it yourself like any other keyfob (its in the owners manual). Also, check on ebay. You can get them for about $50 pretty easily.
Old 1/24/07, 02:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
Nice. Another owner on the list put his keyless entry in a similar place. His was more to the left though.
I saw one in the GT/CS section. He put his on the horizontal part of the cowl, not the vertical. I experimented with that as an option, but the cowl was a little curved there (causing the tape not to stick as well), and it seemed very close to the windshield wiper, as if it would scrape.
Old 1/24/07, 08:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice placing! They defintly dont look good stuck to the side of the car.
I soo miss having one.

I was also thinking for the guys that have the factory spoiler that you could place it on the underside of the spoiler? Granted you cant see the #'s but once you know where they are you can do it blind.
Old 1/24/07, 08:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
I was also thinking for the guys that have the factory spoiler that you could place it on the underside of the spoiler? Granted you cant see the #'s but once you know where they are you can do it blind.
I didn't even think about that. I think that would be interesting. Especially since you could probably hide it in the indentation on the bottom of the spoiler, so it wouldn't be seen from behind.

although, I would be a little scared of gravity pulling it down and it going on the road without ever knowing.

Also, to replace the battery, I heard you have to pull the unit off to get to the back side of it. Knowing that, I thought the black plastic would be a lot easier to pull it off of, rather than trying to get it off of the paint.
Old 1/24/07, 08:34 PM
gpp
GT Member

this may be dumb but i just leave mine attached to the inside of the gas filler door.
Old 1/24/07, 08:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by gpp
this may be dumb but i just leave mine attached to the inside of the gas filler door.
It fits there? man, I never even thought of that. Good idea. Please post a pic
Old 1/24/07, 08:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mikes rx
It fits there? man, I never even thought of that. Good idea. Please post a pic

Lol, yeah, good thinkin! if it does fall off, your not gonna lose it!
Old 1/25/07, 10:41 AM
GT Member

so this works on batterys on wiring needed. what is it called so i can search for it on ebay. thanks Rio
Old 1/25/07, 02:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Search "ford keyless entry keypad" It works on batteries...no wiring needed
Old 1/25/07, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gpp
glad i came across this post.

yes, please post a pic. i never even considered that. actually, i thought these things were wired. i thought you HAD to mount them by the door handle

but these things are sounding better and better.

one thought, would it be safe having something electrical so close to the gas cap area?
Old 1/25/07, 06:12 PM
GT Member

keyless pad locations

I feel like an idiot. I miss not having the keyless entry (having it in my old and new explorer). I did not think of the various places it could go. the cowl, fuel door and spoiler are all good options.

Thanks, I am glad someone is thinking out there!
Old 1/25/07, 07:00 PM
gpp
GT Member

open the gas filler door and when you look at it there are two spots that are raised up or out,what ever.i just took stuck it over them in a up and down position mash the buttons and voila,close the lid out of sight out of mind.i only bought it for emergancy use and if it does happen to come off just stick it in above the cap and close it.may be dumb but it works for me.
Old 1/25/07, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

underneath the hood/grille area. should be hidden.

What about when it snows, that thing will get filled with ice and be crappy there.

O, random useful hint. when changing windshield wipers, make sure not to let the arm spring back while the blade is off....crack (happened to a friend)
Old 1/25/07, 10:04 PM
Cobra Member

yea i was thinking bad idea to have ANYTHING electrical around the fuel door.. ya know.. fumes and all
Old 1/26/07, 11:41 AM
GT Member

If it doesn't show from behind under the spoiler would make a lot of sense...I doubt gravity would influence the device falling off, they dont seem to fall of the sides and I'll bet it is very light.

Conceptually the fuel door is cool, but I too would be concerned about anything electrical although if one thinks about cars of the fifties and sixties the filler tube was often behind the license plate, right under the license plate light....

Quick Reply: Remote Keyless entry keypad