05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

rear emblem

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/05, 10:23 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried to take the rear emblem off were the trunk key lock is.
doing stripes on the car and wanted to remove the emblem for the stripeing.
Old 1/10/05, 04:14 PM
GT Member

I remember reading a thread like this before. the guy tried removing it but he couldent for some reason. u could try tho
Old 1/11/05, 10:51 AM
FR500 Member

I took mine off to do my stripes. It's kind of a pain. There are holes there too... two of them about two inches apart, horizontally. And one big round piece of double-stick foam tape. Just use a heat gun to soften the tape, and then use some good strong floss and work it in between the car and the emblem. You still will have to spend some time getting the tape residue off with some sort of solution. If you are just taking it off to stripe your car, I wouldn't recommend it. Just stripe around it. If you (or the guy doing it) does a good job, you'll never really be able to tell the stripe doesn't go under the emblem. The main reason I took mine off is because I want to replace it anyway with the V6 one.

Oh, and I forgot to mention... you won't be able to reuse the tape, so you will have to find a new piece of double-stick foam tape big enough for the emblem. You will have to use one piece. I had a roll of the tape about an inch or so wide and tried to use strips to stick it on until my V6 one comes in, but it doesn't work. I just hope the one I ordered comes with the tape, or I'm gonna have to find some place who sells it. The auto parts store by my house only has rolls.
Old 1/11/05, 11:36 AM
GT Member

I just pried mine off with 2 screwdrivers and placing a (rolled up) towel under the screwdrivers. It was a pain like mentioned above and hurt my fingers but it came off nicely. I should have used a hairdrier or heatgun to make it easier. Almost all the sticky tape/puddy like adhesiave came off nicely and may have actually beed somewhat reusable..... Whit a heat gun I could have probably stuck it all back on and feel comfortable about it. I threy the back adhesiave away and plan on sanding the area a little, and using some liguid nails(clear) to glob in the middle os the emblem and stick it on. I have done this with other emblems and it works fine. Just make sure you sand the area of the car with some fine grit, to create a texture for the liquid nails to stick to. Tape it on overnight to dry and it's done!

The only draw back is... I thought the emblem was aluminum but It's actually plastic. So, when I pried on it, I think I may have bent/warped it a little, but I'm not sure. I think it may be o.k. or unnoticable, but I wanted to let you be aware. If you use a hair dryer/heat gun, it will come off ALOT easier and you probably won;t have to worry about warping it. Just be cautious, the heat doesn't make the emblem soft and it may bend as you pry.

Good luck, it's not as bad as I make it seem. -Paul

ALSO, the 3rd brake light pops out real easy, so take that out too.
Old 1/11/05, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

The new badge will come with new tape included
Old 1/11/05, 01:08 PM
FR500 Member

Use floss like I did... just slide it back and forth in between the emblem and car. I would not recommend a screwdriver, even with towels. Accidents happen. If anything, maybe a plastic putty knife. The floss works though, especially if you loosen the adhesive with a heat gun.

And thanks for the heads up, Eric B... that will make things a lot easier.