05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Is it really a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/06, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BurntPony@January 20, 2006, 3:59 PM
So someone post a pic of a V6 being passed off as a GT.

I hear that lame argument all the time.

I have yet to see one of these "GTs"

So put up or shut up.

Post a pic.
Sorry, I don't have my camera with me 24/7... But I have seen 3 already. Heck, they might even be the same car, I don't look too closely unless I'm at a car show.
Old 1/20/06, 11:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 06GT@January 20, 2006, 2:18 PM
I don't have a problem with modding a car, be it V6 or V8, but the argument by some V6 owners that "insurance, etc, for a GT is too expensive" doesn't seem to hold any water when they are spending massive amounts of money to mod their V6's.
Yes, but insurance stays the same even if the V6 has 400hp. Even at 34, the GT was $800 more a year then the focus sedan I had, the V6 $35 bucks. My insurance full-coverage on my Ninja is $425 a year. The V6 insurance for someone single under 25 is about the same as a civic coupe, the GT can be outright insane in some states. When I was 22 I had a brand new RX7 TT. Payment was $730, insurance $345. For 235hp :P After it burned up I had a Miata. I could of modded the car to a 400hp V8 and still have been paying $98 a month for insurance(with a $340 car note). Do the math on one year alone(over $7000)
Old 1/21/06, 01:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin were you on FocusFanatics?
Old 1/21/06, 04:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Bump

Im still waiting for a pic of a V6 being passed off as a GT.

Put up or shut up.
Old 1/21/06, 04:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No I post on SVT Performance and used to on Focal Jet

Heh, I just started posting back on SVTP after about a year hiatus and still come in at member #21 in posts out of over 30,000 members
Old 1/22/06, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

I don't have a photo, but have seen them, or rather heard them, thats the give away.

I honestly don't think it matters, I've lost count how many people said, "nice car, that the V8?". I think the only people that know what the badging means are other Mustang drivers anyway.

I don't care what people do to their cars, I may laugh or drool depending.

I hear the insurance arguement all the time, my insurance went down $40 a year when I bought my GT and traded in my 03 Honda Civic.

I don't understand the wieght balance arguement for the V6 either, 150lbs lighter? You'de give up 90hp/80tq for 150 lbs?

Why is it the Mustang comunity is so divided just by which model people opt for. You should not feel obligated to explain your reasons for buying a V6 or V8. Be happy your not driving a rusted out Yugo.
Old 1/24/06, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Q: What does Bigfoot and a Mustang V6 being passed off as a GT have in common?

A: Everyone has seen one, but no has a credible picture.
Old 1/24/06, 08:18 AM

I hate to see GT owners trying to make their cars look like the V6
Old 1/24/06, 09:07 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by BurntPony@January 24, 2006, 8:54 AM
Q: What does Bigfoot and a Mustang V6 being passed off as a GT have in common?

A: Everyone has seen one, but no has a credible picture.
Please call the weekly world news:
Cause here is one
Old 1/24/06, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Read the bio. Its a V6, they state its a V6, and they say they wanted to imitate the Shelby.

The key word here is imitate.

Nice try.

But, I will go along.

So out of nearly 190,000 05 Mustangs, and about 65% of them V6s, we have ONE.

Im guessing the countless GT owners who are whinning about the V6s being passed off as GTs must all be seeing this one example.

Bravo, for clearing up this "mystery".
Old 1/24/06, 03:35 PM
V6 Member

Allright, here's mine. I'm not trying to pass it off as a GT, tho it has fogs, gt wheels and gt sway bars. I LIKED the original upgrade v6 wheels with the spinners, but I live next door to a high school. How many days do you think it took for the first spinner to disappear. I LOVE the look of the fogs, but I think mine look slightly better at 5" instead of 6". (Bigger is NOT always better) I LOVE the better handling with the sway bars. The only thing I DON't need was that big honkin engine! I drive 99% surface streets, less than 5000 miles a year. I'd never even SEE those top end ponies! So all the GT folk who have a hard time with my "posing", do me a favor and climb back out of my @.
Old 1/24/06, 05:52 PM

well im one of those who are spending big money on stereo and looks. I already spent about $3500 on my system. But thats what floats my boat. I feel that whatever someone has chosen to buy that is on them. They are the ones paying car note, insurance and what else they have to deal with in their life.

I have a met a few gt owners in my area that say " you shouldve got a gt". I say to them why mod ur gt, by the time u do that,u shouldve waited for the shelby.

My point is people buy what the like and what they can afford. No one else has any right to tell them what their priorites are whether it be them modding a v6 or gt. But i will say i myself dont like seeing something badged to be something else. Their someone down the street from me that has a v6 but has a gt emblem and cobra on the side and on the trunk.
Old 1/24/06, 06:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2k5 legend@January 24, 2006, 6:38 PM
Allright, here's mine. I'm not trying to pass it off as a GT, tho it has fogs, gt wheels and gt sway bars. I LIKED the original upgrade v6 wheels with the spinners, but I live next door to a high school. How many days do you think it took for the first spinner to disappear. I LOVE the look of the fogs, but I think mine look slightly better at 5" instead of 6". (Bigger is NOT always better) I LOVE the better handling with the sway bars. The only thing I DON't need was that big honkin engine! I drive 99% surface streets, less than 5000 miles a year. I'd never even SEE those top end ponies! So all the GT folk who have a hard time with my "posing", do me a favor and climb back out of my @.

I Like it but I would seriously paint those mirrors
Old 1/24/06, 07:17 PM
V6 Member

Oh, that's SO next on my list!
Old 1/24/06, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BurntPony@January 24, 2006, 4:38 PM
Read the bio. Its a V6, they state its a V6, and they say they wanted to imitate the Shelby.

The key word here is imitate.

Nice try.

But, I will go along.

So out of nearly 190,000 05 Mustangs, and about 65% of them V6s, we have ONE.

Im guessing the countless GT owners who are whinning about the V6s being passed off as GTs must all be seeing this one example.

Bravo, for clearing up this "mystery".
You're a(n) [expletive]... I was referring to the silver V6 that was sitting in my dealer's lot with the GT badging, front and rear bumpers, and V6 wheels and V6 cloth interior. I didn't have my camera, so there is no picture. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist... nor does that mean that I care in the slightest bit if someone mimicks a GT. But when theres one on the dealers lot wit GT badges (both fender and trunk) on it, things get a little fuzzier. Especially when the manager tells me it was his idea then denies it. So you can stop with the cynical sarcasm, its immature and completely unnecessary to the discussion in this thread.
Old 1/24/06, 11:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Badging is just wrong. I have gt takeoff bullit rims and tires, and i painted my rocker panels to match. Ill put a gt rear bumper on as soon as i do dual exhaust. I wont do the front bumper with fogs just cuz i want people to know its a v6 still.
Old 1/25/06, 01:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Enfynet. I can do whatever I want to.

If you dont like it, I suggest you go $%&# yourself.
Old 1/25/06, 05:08 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Come on Children- tempers. Let's all play nice together.

The only time I think its bad is when the dealer does it and passes it off as something its not. The average buyer wouldn't know better and will pay for something they didn't get.
Old 1/28/06, 01:56 PM

I wanted to buy a v8 badly when the 05 came out, but at the time, there wasn't enough money in the bank. I rationalized and said maybe eventually I'll be able to afford that "GT look". I'm not talking badging, just the look. Probably some pony emblems instead. They look better anyway. Almost a year later I am able to afford the GT now, but I got such a sweet deal on my V6 from a relative working for ford that I would lose so much money going to the V8 since he no longer works for them and I can't get on the family plan. I'm still not much interested in the power increas, but I do like the way the Gt's look. Sorry if it angers some of you GT owners, but everyone has their varying reason for doing this. Too bad some of the reasons are for deliberately fooling others.
Old 1/28/06, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

In my opinion, folks do what they want with their car. I'm getting a V6 2006 Pony Package (in the dealer lot as of Jan 27). I will be doing things to it to make it uniquely mine. However, I will never identify it as a GT. As an obversation, the Source Horse replaced the GT emblem with tri-bar emblems, something I thought was original on Pony Package and looks good on the 2005/2006 Mustangs. It doesn't make the Source Horse or any other Mustang a 2006 Pony Package.

Its the inside that counts.