05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Is it really a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/06, 09:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Paul, I think the only thing that prevented that from being fraud is that it only said "05 Mustang" on the hangtag in the window, not "GT." This dealership likes to hide the window stickers in the glovebox instead of actually on the window. Which is good for them because no one knows what MSRP actually is on their cars.
Old 1/18/06, 09:37 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by flight96@January 18, 2006, 3:59 PM
Its your car...Do what YOU want !!! I wouldn't put GT badges on my V6 But thats me. I don't care what anyone does to THEIR car. Its THEIRS !!!

Ditto.
Old 1/19/06, 04:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont care about the V8. I live in a small town, Im rarely out of residental neighborhoods. I also have a commercial drivers license. I have no reason to drive fast and I cant afford a ticket.

When somone with a CDL goes before a judge, you get the "Of all people you know better" speach. That means the maximum fine allowed. It also means that no one wants to hire you if it involves using the CDL.

As I said, I like the look. Thats all.

I spend my money very wisely. I didnt really want to cough up the 20K for the V6, so there was no way I was letting go of 30K for the GT.

Im happy.
Old 1/19/06, 06:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Boltzman@January 18, 2006, 10:27 PM
where did you get your fender emblems??
From KC @ Clevenger Ford
Old 1/19/06, 10:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by azoufan@January 17, 2006, 5:50 PM
I've answered some of these posts before, but have tried to be light with my response. Bottom line, with the money spent on buying, shipping and installing GT take off's, just buy the GT and be done with it. I've heard "insurance on the GT is too expensive". This is coming from people who own V-6's with $2,500 rims, $2,000 stereo's, scrambling to find aftermarket mufflers, UD pulleys, CAI's, computer tunes, etc. It just makes no sense to me. :scratch:

SO true.

Some of those guys need to get their priorities straight.
Old 1/19/06, 11:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have actually become quite endeared with the little Pony V6. It feels like a GT that went on a serious diet in the turns, and its quick enough for the 'normal' world. After some of the cars I have had(and bikes), anything less then 500hp isn't all that fast. I can get a used 10 sec bike for $3500 if I wanted to go really fast, heck for $7000 I could get a used R1 that hits 103 in first gear :shock: . If I had a GT i would dump all my money making it faster just to get rid of it the day a Mach I came out anyway. I am just getting sick of endlessly modding my cars and every GT I had virtually doubled in price along the way, just to get crushed at the strip by somoene who spent more then what I did. At least I have an excuse for loosing a 'race' in V6 :P I got this one to 'cap' my auto expenses for a while, a couple decorations on the car and I'm done.

Again, as long as the car is not "rebadged" or 'sold' by its owner(figuratively or actually) as a different model, then people can mod away for all I care. It does reach a point of diminishing returns though right from the get-go. Typically if you are happy with the maximum safe power potential you can mod to without having to tear the engine down, you are in the right car.
Old 1/19/06, 12:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 06GT@January 19, 2006, 12:29 PM
SO true.

Some of those guys need to get their priorities straight.
Well, look at the SUV world for much worse examples, at 3 times+ the price of a new Stang. Whats the point of changing wheel tire packages on ANY car unless it is to absolutely maximize a vehicles track-time potential? What good are 20's on a gt, they have no redeeming performance value whatsoever? And dont get me started on fake scoops and phony 'power bulge' hoods(plastic over aluminum no less) again.........

Judging modding on V6s because its not a 'performance' mod is the same as GT's with wheels/big brake kits for no track time/alluminum fuel doors/shorty antenas/tail light mods/paintwork/stereo audio mods/spoilers/body kits/tint/grille mods/interior trim/underhood dress up/etc. If you were REALLY totally concerned about performance, you would of removed your pesky interior a long time ago. heck the stereo system alone is probably 15lbs of wasted dead weight.
Old 1/19/06, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

What I see as the root of this "problem" is that GT owners are chapped that my V6 looks like thier GT at 10K less.

Hey, we all made our choices. Im enjoying the look I want and the low car payments I want.

Insurance, sure its an issue for me. I insure 3 vehicles an 03, 04, and 05 at full coverage. I also insure a 88 at just liability.

Like I said, I dont give a flying **** about the Joneses, Im just doing what I want for the love of the hobby.
Old 1/19/06, 08:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Right, but you aren't trying to trick people into thinking you have a GT. The arguement on making one look like the other is pretty pointless until you get into badges. Telling people your V6 is a GT is silly, just like telling people your GT is a V6 or Cobra/GT500 is silly. Yes, it is their car and their choice of what to do with it, but that doesn't mean everyone has to like it, or that they have to keep their opinion to themselves.
Old 1/20/06, 05:28 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Everyone knows my car is a v6- and I am quite proud of her.

Here is my story:
I HAD to have a mustang- Thats all everyone who knew me heard all of 2004. My Dad said well if you want one that bad I will buy you a Cobra for Christmas.
He (and I ) had no Idea My hubby was buying me a REAL mustang for Christmas.
In the meantime- My Dad bought me a Cobra- But on Christmas morning, when I had a real mustang and opened up my "cobra"... My Dad said- well now we may as well put em on the car. So I kept em and kept em and still have em......Just because my Dad gave em to me.

And I have explained hundreds of times- NO its not, its just churched up.
Old 1/20/06, 06:16 AM

I'm putting Fanblades on my V6.... not because I want a pseudo GT .... IMO they are a sweet looking wheel. I changed my mind a hundred times over which wheels to get and I got a smokin' deal on my Fanblades. And 210 horses is not chump change.... :usa:
Old 1/20/06, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Well because of this I assume that the odd "GT" I see here and there is probably a fake.
Old 1/20/06, 12:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Nick85@January 20, 2006, 10:27 AM
Well because of this I assume that the odd "GT" I see here and there is probably a fake.
Does it really matter? Its still a MUSTANG and I think thats all that really matters. Also anyone who puts mods on their cars, regardless if its dual exhaust or a GT front grill is evidently more interested in the car then the average person and should be respected for that.
Old 1/20/06, 12:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by kevinb120@January 19, 2006, 11:08 AM
Well, look at the SUV world for much worse examples, at 3 times+ the price of a new Stang. Whats the point of changing wheel tire packages on ANY car unless it is to absolutely maximize a vehicles track-time potential? What good are 20's on a gt, they have no redeeming performance value whatsoever? And dont get me started on fake scoops and phony 'power bulge' hoods(plastic over aluminum no less) again.........

Judging modding on V6s because its not a 'performance' mod is the same as GT's with wheels/big brake kits for no track time/alluminum fuel doors/shorty antenas/tail light mods/paintwork/stereo audio mods/spoilers/body kits/tint/grille mods/interior trim/underhood dress up/etc. If you were REALLY totally concerned about performance, you would of removed your pesky interior a long time ago. heck the stereo system alone is probably 15lbs of wasted dead weight.

I don't have a problem with modding a car, be it V6 or V8, but the argument by some V6 owners that "insurance, etc, for a GT is too expensive" doesn't seem to hold any water when they are spending massive amounts of money to mod their V6's.
Old 1/20/06, 12:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by mustangspeeder@January 17, 2006, 6:23 PM
Eh, I don't have a problem with V6ers putting the upgraded wheels, fog lights, exhaust or anything like that on their cars, it's a matter of style. I don't like when they people put a different badge on it though, like a V6 putting a GT badge, or a GT putting on a Cobra.
I completely agree. I don't understand who they think they're trying to fool. If they take the car to a car show, do they really think anyone there will take them seriously?
Old 1/20/06, 12:44 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

NOW Trying to pass one off as something its not= Whole different animal there.
Old 1/20/06, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Nick85@January 17, 2006, 5:16 PM
I saw another Mustang GT today...machined alluminum wheels, fog lights, and one exhaust :bang:

I've seen this and others with dual exhaust and stock V6 wheels etc. So I ask myself how many of these GT's driving around are the real deal....?

Kind of annoying imo...like Porsche making the boxster but worse.

Discuss (again)
There's nothing wrong with the v6, but there are definately some who are a little embarrased at owning them. Left un-modded, they're cool enough in their own right. Modded, they're cool (Street Scene, et al - whoever makes kits for them). I think GT cloning, however, is a symptom of something else - the desire to fool people that the v6 they're driving is a GT.

I'm all for anyone doing anything they like to their car, but there so many kits out there, which would do so much more for the look of a 6, than slapping GT parts on. As illustrated earlier, getting GT parts is fairly cheap. For SOME, I think the idea is less about personalization (let's face it, there are plenty of GT's on the road, so that's hardly "customisation") and more about masquerading.

For those in 6's who are comfortable in them, kudos to you. For those who shell out big $'s for Eleanor/CDC/3dCarbon and remake their 6's into the car they've always wanted, kudos to you too. 4.0 GT's? I don't think so...
Old 1/20/06, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

So someone post a pic of a V6 being passed off as a GT.

I hear that lame argument all the time.

I have yet to see one of these "GTs"

So put up or shut up.

Post a pic.
Old 1/20/06, 03:07 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 06GT@January 20, 2006, 1:18 PM
I don't have a problem with modding a car, be it V6 or V8, but the argument by some V6 owners that "insurance, etc, for a GT is too expensive" doesn't seem to hold any water when they are spending massive amounts of money to mod their V6's.
You have to remember that if money is saved on the original purchase of the car then there is more money to mod with...the same thing with insurance premiums.
Also , most of the GT parts that are being purchased and put on the V6's are "take-offs" from GTs...so does that mean that they wernt wanted on the GT to begin with?
Old 1/20/06, 03:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Or were perhaps pull-offs from someplace like Slaeen, Steeda, or Roush.