05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Is it really a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/06, 04:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw another Mustang GT today...machined alluminum wheels, fog lights, and one exhaust :bang:

I've seen this and others with dual exhaust and stock V6 wheels etc. So I ask myself how many of these GT's driving around are the real deal....?

Kind of annoying imo...like Porsche making the boxster but worse.

Discuss (again)
Old 1/17/06, 04:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Either one pipe fell off, or it's a six.
Old 1/17/06, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Eh, I don't have a problem with V6ers putting the upgraded wheels, fog lights, exhaust or anything like that on their cars, it's a matter of style. I don't like when they people put a different badge on it though, like a V6 putting a GT badge, or a GT putting on a Cobra.
Old 1/17/06, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

His head fell off!
Old 1/17/06, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

i wanted GT take offs on my car forever, but i realize that freighting them is out of my price range, i have a v6, and i LOVE the aggresiveness of the GT, i dont think its bad to to GT take offs on, its just bad to badge something, making it something its not, no one should be ashamed of driving a v6, they are all mustangs, and all of em rock.
Old 1/17/06, 06:10 PM
V6 Member

Uhm, ya think the car you saw might have been an 06 V6 with the Pony option? Bullitt wheels and (smaller) fog lights.......
Old 1/17/06, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Most likely had put on GT bumpers and rockers and put on pony fender emblems. I'm planning on doing this soon but I will be putting on bullitts also though. I do agree about the badging though. Don't put GT badges on a V6. That's just tacky!
Old 1/17/06, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've answered some of these posts before, but have tried to be light with my response. Bottom line, with the money spent on buying, shipping and installing GT take off's, just buy the GT and be done with it. I've heard "insurance on the GT is too expensive". This is coming from people who own V-6's with $2,500 rims, $2,000 stereo's, scrambling to find aftermarket mufflers, UD pulleys, CAI's, computer tunes, etc. It just makes no sense to me. :scratch:
Old 1/17/06, 07:10 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as it ain't my car car ,I don't give a darn
Old 1/17/06, 07:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by azoufan@January 17, 2006, 6:50 PM
I've answered some of these posts before, but have tried to be light with my response. Bottom line, with the money spent on buying, shipping and installing GT take off's, just buy the GT and be done with it. I've heard "insurance on the GT is too expensive". This is coming from people who own V-6's with $2,500 rims, $2,000 stereo's, scrambling to find aftermarket mufflers, UD pulleys, CAI's, computer tunes, etc. It just makes no sense to me. :scratch:
I think the GT is a great package for the money. I can't speak for every V6 owner, but for myself it adds some excitement to add parts throughout the life of owning my mustang and I can customize the car the way I want it. In a few years, I'll have a V6 that will look better than a stock GT. Oh btw, I got my 17in GT bullitt tires from a GT owner who upgraded his tires for a $2500 set. So its not just V6 owners who drop $2500 on new set of tires, or $2500 on a new stereo, cmon. Just saw a dealership drop $15,000 on a custom body kit, 20in tires, and it was a V6 and it sold the next week.

Back to the topic on hand, I would agree that it would be cheezy and oncool to put badges on your car that do not represent what the car really is. I'm not going to put "5.0" on the side when I have a 4liter. Nor will I put GT500 stripes on my car as I have seen several GT owners have done.
Old 1/17/06, 09:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TorchRedV6@January 17, 2006, 7:41 PM
Most likely had put on GT bumpers and rockers and put on pony fender emblems. I'm planning on doing this soon but I will be putting on bullitts also though. I do agree about the badging though. Don't put GT badges on a V6. That's just tacky!
So is what you're doing...if you're going to modify your stang i'm all for it, but why make it look just like a GT? :bang:
Old 1/17/06, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

My question is why do people have to put GT stuff on the V6s? What is so bad about the new v6s? Now I know most of you probably put the GT grille, etc on because you like it, but I have read on other forums people who seemed to want to fool people into thinking they had a GT. What is that? heck throw a X-cal on it and the darn things are just as good as older model GTs. The new v6s aren't the "teeny girl" cars the previous few models got the reputation for being. Be happy with what you have. I have a V6, love it to death, and I get just as many looks as GT owners. To me anyway, looks are much better than speed.

Thank you and to all a goodnight.
Old 1/17/06, 10:26 PM

One of the Saleen dealers near my house buys the parts from Saleen and puts them on the V6's on the lot. So the owner may have bought it that way. From what the manager told me tey tack on around $2K to the V6 sticker price.
Old 1/18/06, 01:32 AM
Bullitt Member

I have GT bumpers and rims.

I like the look.

I paid $20,000 out the door for my V6.

GT Takeoff rims: $400
Bumpers/fogs: $750
Tint: $100
Dual exhaust: $350
GT leather seat covers $275
GT sway bars $150

Total: $22,025 so far. That total includes tax, shipping, labor, misc hardware. Everything.

Thats a far cry from the $30k+ dealers were soaking people for last year when I bought my car.

So why do you or any other GT owner care what I do with my V6?

Ive also owned some 200 six Mustangs/Falcons. I had just as much fun and liked them just as well as the GTs Ive owned.

Its all about the love of the cars and the hobby. Not what other people think, or keeping up with the Joneses.

I, on the other hand wonder why anyone would pay 3-5K over sticker for a car. Thats crazy. I wouldnt. I didnt.
Old 1/18/06, 05:36 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Don't get em started.(fair warning)

Has anyone seen the dreaded STANG edition mustang?

Its a churched up v6 with side skirts, STANG badges written in Count Chocula font and horrid seats with same Count Chocula STANG. It also has a couple other ugly little things on it
Old 1/18/06, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mustangspeeder@January 17, 2006, 7:23 PM
Eh, I don't have a problem with V6ers putting the upgraded wheels, fog lights, exhaust or anything like that on their cars, it's a matter of style. I don't like when they people put a different badge on it though, like a V6 putting a GT badge, or a GT putting on a Cobra.
I know a girl who has Cobra badges on her V6. I had to counsel her appropriately.... She STILL didn't get the sacrilege...

Are we really going to get into the age old "should have gotten a GT" rant here?
Old 1/18/06, 07:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have GT bumpers and duals on my V6 'vert. Why? Beause as I like the look, want proper cutouts for the exhaust and the fog lights are useful.

I could have bought a GT, I CHOSE to buy the V6 for a couple reasons:

1) With a little tuning, the V6 is quick enough for my needs
2) Better F/R weight balance (I lean more towards the road racer type than being a drag racer)
3) more working space under the hood (I do my own maintainence/mods)

The car is not badged as a GT, will never be badged as a GT, and I'm always eager to discuss it with people and gladly reveal its' a V6.

I don't see the issue here
Old 1/18/06, 08:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm all for people with V6 Mustangs adding bolt ons to look like GT's. As they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Have fun!!!
Old 1/18/06, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've added V6 parts to my GT - removed the GT trunk emblem and fender emblems and put on the running horse trunk emblem and fender emblems. The ponies look better than the GT emblems.
Old 1/18/06, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

i putthe Gt erar bumper on mine, cause idont liek single exhaust and ten i put the street scene body kito n mine. Im fine with it being a 6, but i also hadp lans to drop in a 5.4L with a supercharger aswell. i can do it for less money than starting from a GT, so to metht makes sense. buy a cheaper car to make a better car.