05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Racing Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/05, 09:55 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

When I get my 2005 Sonic Blue GT (or should I say if I ever get my GT) , I am thinking of putting 10" black racing stripes about 4" apart (maybe with a thin pin stripe on both sides of the stripes or maybe just on the outside of each stripe).

Any thoughts on this combination? Or suggestions? I'm wanting a "muscle car" look for my GT. Has anyone put black stripes on their mustang?

All this waiting is making me lose my mind, too much time to think of things to do to the car when it gets here. (Ford, please hurry up).

Thanks,
Valerie
Old 2/12/05, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

4 inches is very far apart. Most of the people who have done it so far have a 1-2 inch gap. In my opinion that looks better. Ten inch thick stripes are a good size though.
Old 2/12/05, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, 4 inches is pretty wide. 1-2 inches gives the retro Shelby look better. Black stripes on Sonic Blue just doesn't have a good contrasting "punch", IMHO. I really considered this combo because I wanted CDCs shaker scoop on a Sonic Blue car, but the blue is so dark that the black blends in a bit. There are pics on this site (sorry for not providing a link) of a Sonic Steeda. Looks great, but doesn't jump at ya. There was also a Sonic "Boss 302" on ebay that was linked to somewhere here. The original '70 Boss stripes were outlined in a pale yellow (for some reason). The combo was subtle, which is maybe what you're wanting, but white or silver stripes on Sonic will scream "muscle" a mile away! Any way you go, however, it's a great car!
Old 2/12/05, 08:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

4" gap is too big. 1" is what just about everyone here, including me next week YEAH BABY!, used or will be using.
Old 2/12/05, 08:10 PM
GT Member

Okay, this is what ive been thinking about for a long time, although i have decided on a black GT with white stripes....

WHen i was in High School, a friend of mine had a car with a color very similar to sonic blue....his had black racing stripes and pin-striping like you are talking about. BUT, the pin striping was light, almost baby blue....It looked AWESOME! Picture it if you can, keep the stries about an inch apart first of all! Then put the black stripes with light blue pinstripes on....then paint that section of the rocker panel at the bottom of the doors black with the light blue pin...

It will look awesome, the light blue makes the stripe color and the body color pop!

I'll try to do a photo-shop of it and post it for you.

This is what i was going to do for my 05 until i saw the sonic blue in person and felt it was too purple for my taste.

What do you think?
Old 2/12/05, 08:31 PM
GT Member

Okay, so pardon the quick and utterly shameful photo-chop job on this, but this is the basic idea. Hope it helps, let me know what you think
Old 2/12/05, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Valerie,
I want to change what I said earlier about black not standing out as well on sonic blue. I just realized that we're nearly neighbors (Ill., north of St. Louis), and since I'm getting white stripes on mine, I think you should definitely go with black. Don't want to get our cars confused in a parking lot somewhere! Or go with Mach stripes and try CDCs shaker hood scoop. I almost did that, and it would look neat seeing how mine might have turned out.
Old 2/14/05, 06:34 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4" gap is way to wide. That will not look good. Black is not bad but I slapped a piece of vinyl on my car and didn't like the way it looked. White or silver looks the best.
Old 2/14/05, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@February 14, 2005, 7:37 AM
4" gap is way to wide. That will not look good. Black is not bad but I slapped a piece of vinyl on my car and didn't like the way it looked. White or silver looks the best.
Hey, John. Where's the photo of your car you used to use? I need to get a local guy to do the stripes on mine when it arrives, and wanted to show him your car.

Can you post some pics, please?
Old 2/14/05, 10:38 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by backafter20@February 12, 2005, 11:11 PM
Or go with Mach stripes and try CDCs shaker hood scoop.
What are you refering to when you say Mach stripes? Are you talking the stripes on the rocker panel? That's the only stripes a Mach 1 has, it does have a portion of the hood blacked out as well as the rear spoiler.
Old 2/14/05, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry, when I think Mach, I'm usually thinking '69 or '70. In this case I was thinking '70, with a 14"-16" (or so) stripe up the center of the hood and a 3"-4" one on either side. There was a red GT on these forums with that combo that looked awesome. I goes with a shaker just perfectly!
Old 2/15/05, 03:13 PM
GT Member

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time...05/stripes.htm
Old 2/15/05, 04:50 PM
GT Member

Thanks to all of you for your input!

I'm gonna go with the black stripes. I know white/silver stripes look awesome on this color, but I think the white gives it more of a "racey" look and I'm just not a silver kind of girl. I'm looking for a tough "muscle car" look. That and I don't want Jim to be confused when he see's mine. Jim where about north of St. Louis do you live?

Brian - I think I will try the thin lighter blue stripe next to the black and see how it looks. Gotta find the right color blue tho. If I end up not liking it, I'll just take it back off, no harm done. I think it'll look good so I'm gonna try it. Don't know about painting the rocker panels, but I've been thinking about the spripes like the ones on the V6's that say Mustang or some plain ones (could put the light blue above and/or below that).

I'm gonna use a 2" space instead of 4", everyone seems to think that the 4" will look bad. That and I saw a legend lime green w/black stripes at the dealer with a 4" gap and it didn't look very good, of course I don't like that green color anyways.

Hope I don't have to wait too much longer!

Thanks again,
Valerie
Old 2/15/05, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Valerie,
I'm in Moro, east of Bethalto, north of Edwardsville. I think your car will be great. Two inch gap is what original Shelbys used. I'm getting mine on the Pony Drive, June 11. When are you getting yours?
Old 2/16/05, 08:47 AM
GT Member

I was also considering black stripes on sonic blue when I'm finally able to get ahold of my car. What I'd really like to see is Black with Sonic Blue Stripes- thatd look awesome in my opinion. Also, the 4" gap is kindof wide and maybe you'd like to consider wider stripes? Either way- it'll look great! Post pics when/if you have it done!
Old 2/16/05, 11:12 AM
GT Member

The white would be the best and they should be 1 1/2 - 2" apart.
Then paint the mirrors to match the car.
Old 2/16/05, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by backafter20@February 15, 2005, 7:43 PM
Valerie,
I'm in Moro, east of Bethalto, north of Edwardsville. I think your car will be great. Two inch gap is what original Shelbys used. I'm getting mine on the Pony Drive, June 11. When are you getting yours?
I know where Moro is, I'm in Carrollton. We'll probably see each other driving around in the Alton area. I'm getting mine whenever it comes in , it's still clean and unscheduled, no VIN or build date. Ordered it from the dealer my husband works at, getting it on a D-plan . Might have to meet up with the Pony Drive when it comes through St. Louis. Sounds like fun.

Valerie