05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Racing Stripe Install (DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/07, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Racing Stripe Install (DIY)

Has anyone installed a stripe (decal) kit themselves on a 05-07 GT? I have the kit, but not sure whether I should undertake the project (or not). The kit is 3M, pre-cut full length (over bumpers).
Old 4/17/07, 12:13 PM
GT Member

Hunt down tacobills links, he has one.
Old 4/17/07, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

I haven't yet, but I plan to. I have done other vinyl work. They key is to keep it WET. Keep the car wet and keep the vinly wet as you work it.
Old 4/17/07, 03:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search on strip installation - there have been many who have done it themselves. I did and it was not too bad - just very tedious.

Here area some links -

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...e+installation

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...e+installation

There is a lot of reading there, but tons of info...
Old 4/17/07, 03:51 PM

I did the fat center stripe and can tell you that if you heve the lemans or shelby style stripes they would be a walk in the park compared to the center stripe thing. Another question is on if you plan on doing the bumpers or stopping at the hood and rear deck lid?
Old 4/17/07, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I've done the install twice. Bumpers are pain but take your time and its not too bad.
Old 4/18/07, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've paced myself back and forth on this mod, this scares the crap out of me, especially after seeing TacoBill's post. I'm a do-it-yourself guy, but the keeping it wet part is what worries me. Its always scorching hot down here, so I'd have to find a good shade with a water hose, because my parents driveway has no shade, and I cant do it at my place.

I really want to do the Roush stripes or Shelby and try them out to see if i want to get it painted. Let me know how it works for you.
Old 4/18/07, 12:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reminisce
... Its always scorching hot down here, so I'd have to find a good shade with a water hose, because my parents driveway has no shade, and I cant do it at my place.
Do not use regular tap water when installing the vinyl!

You must mix up a solution that's in the BMS directions (a mixture of distilled water, isopropyl alcohol, and dish soap).

I won't lie, this mod took the longest to complete compared to everything else I've done to the car. Was it hard to do? Not really. It's just requires a huge amount of patience. If you have none, go find an installer. However, if you have the time, along with a little finesse', I believe anyone can do it.

And contrary to what you think, applying the vinyl is warm weather is better (I'm not talking in direct sunlight); making the vinyl more pliable and easier to work with.

I found that BSM's directions were adequate, but here's some helpful tips that'll come in handy. link
Old 4/18/07, 12:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We have this fella that is phenominal installing anything vinyl, its only 400 for over the top/100 for side stripes including the vinyl, so I can't imagine it being to expensive to have it professionally installed. Our local guy does it with zero gaps anywhere(other then the plate cutout).
Old 4/18/07, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, patience, patience, patience. I did it. BSM kit, 10" with 2" gap all the way down the bumpers. You can do it. Like has been said, just don't hurry, triple check you center line marks. Some pieces (especially the bumpers and scoop) I even let them sit overnight, then came back with the hairdryer and got the folds etc out. Took two of us two days to complete. Good luck.
Old 4/18/07, 03:43 PM

Unhappy

One other thing I heard from a body shop owner that I haven't seen mentioned as a drawback to vinyl, is that the decals imbed in the clearcoat. So forget about removing them someday without re-painting. This may be BS, I’m not sure.
Old 4/18/07, 08:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by crucut
Yes, patience, patience, patience. I did it. BSM kit, 10" with 2" gap all the way down the bumpers. You can do it. Like has been said, just don't hurry, triple check you center line marks. Some pieces (especially the bumpers and scoop) I even let them sit overnight, then came back with the hairdryer and got the folds etc out. Took two of us two days to complete. Good luck.
I see little bumps where your license plate used to be. I am installing the BSM kit this weekend and I need to fill my plate holes as well. What did you use to fill them?
Old 4/19/07, 02:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ryan1112
I see little bumps where your license plate used to be. I am installing the BSM kit this weekend and I need to fill my plate holes as well. What did you use to fill them?
My licence plate screws fliled the holes. I got the car from dealer stock, and they already had the holes drilled. It wasn't a deal breaker, because in the peoples republic of Washington you can't get away with not having a front plate, especialy in the little town I live in. Not sure how I'd fill em if I needed to. Maybe some one else could chime in with a good suggestion. Good luck, Carl
Old 4/19/07, 06:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have a little bondo that I can use with a dab of touchup paint. Since they will be under the stripes it's not that critical. I want to use something that I can still put screws through in case the cops start giving me tickets.
Old 4/19/07, 08:16 AM
Cobra R Member

save your money and get them painted, vinyl doesnt last. good luck
Old 5/1/07, 03:00 PM

Do It Yourself!

I've been working on my installation since yesterday morning. I have never done anything like that before and I STRONGLY recommend anyone with patience do this mod themselves! It's not real easy by any means, but if you measure and verify, (then verify some more) your center, it goes pretty well. The front bumper was tedious, but not difficult. Just take your time. I'm going back out now to do the spoiler, and rear bumper...I may have something to add to this after the bumper!!

The fact that you are a Mustang owner tells me that you love her enough to do a great job!
Old 5/2/07, 09:10 AM

Rear Bumper

Well, that rear bumper was a little difficult and I wound up with a few little creases, luckily I was able to chase them to the underside of the bumper so only a mechanic will see them!

Having a helper made it a lot easier!
Well, psychologically anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Racing Stripe Install (DIY)-great-help.jpg  
Old 5/2/07, 09:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TwoHorseHome
Well, that rear bumper was a little difficult and I wound up with a few little creases, luckily I was able to chase them to the underside of the bumper so only a mechanic will see them!

Well, psycholgically anyway.
Yep take your time and you can do it and have the satisfaction that you did it and did it RIGHT.
Hey that car looks familiar even down to the Oklahoma license plate.
Attachment 25333
Attached Thumbnails Racing Stripe Install (DIY)-back-trans.jpg  
Old 5/2/07, 09:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice job from the pictures & I hope the hired helper was paid. Gotta hand it to you and the patience to do it yourself Looks Great
Old 5/2/07, 09:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TwoHorseHome

Well, psycholgically anyway.
Great job, Fred!

Post up more pics!

Quick Reply: Racing Stripe Install (DIY)