05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

questions on upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/08, 07:53 PM
lou
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions on upgrades

hi everyone, i have browsed these forums many times before, but this is my first post, yay! lol.

ok, i have a goal to get an 05 or newer gt mustang in stick shift in tourch red. after i get that my goal is to make this gt look as close to a shelby as i can. in my time i have browsed this forum, i have read you can switch spoilers, switch the hoods, change the wheels, ect. so what i want to do is take the gt hood with the four lights in front out, and replace it with a shelby hood. then i want to take the gt spoiler out and put the shelby spoiler on it. replace the wheels and put the 18in polished wheels on.
now my questions are, am i right when i say it is possible to do this? how much will these upgrades cost, (purchase of the car set aside)? is there a do it yourself step by step instruction area in this forum that can show me how to do this?

thanks for your replies and please if you have any more info on what i can do to make this look more like a shelby, all opinions are welcome.

thanks, lou.

also, i want to add two white racing stripes down the middle.

Last edited by lou; 10/9/08 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10/9/08, 10:15 PM
GT Member

Yes it is possible. Many guys here have done a GT500 conversion kit. Its quite expensive for a full kit probably around $3 - $4000.

This site lists the front end for $2000
http://northamericantuning.com/catal...roducts_id/292

Hood proabably around $700-1000

Spoiler $300 or so
Old 10/9/08, 10:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lou
hi everyone, i have browsed these forums many times before, but this is my first post, yay! lol.

ok, i have a goal to get an 05 or newer gt mustang in stick shift in tourch red. after i get that my goal is to make this gt look as close to a shelby as i can. in my time i have browsed this forum, i have read you can switch spoilers, switch the hoods, change the wheels, ect. so what i want to do is take the gt hood with the four lights in front out, and replace it with a shelby hood. then i want to take the gt spoiler out and put the shelby spoiler on it. replace the wheels and put the 18in polished wheels on.
now my questions are, am i right when i say it is possible to do this? how much will these upgrades cost, (purchase of the car set aside)? is there a do it yourself step by step instruction area in this forum that can show me how to do this?

thanks for your replies and please if you have any more info on what i can do to make this look more like a shelby, all opinions are welcome.

thanks, lou.

also, i want to add two white racing stripes down the middle.
Hey Lou, welcome to the site! Your not alone by any means with wanting to clone the new GT500. Its a mean and menacing look. If they had come out with a center fog grill, I may have even considered it. Go into the "Marketplace" of this forum, and where it says OEM Parts, there is a thread started by Kevin Casey, our resident parts retailer from Ford. He can sell you the parts. Just be aware, the conversion isn't cheap. I had a friend from my club want to do the conversion (everything up front except the hood, as he kept the stock GT hood). I was able to get our parts manager at my dealership to give him 25% off the parts price. His total was somewhere around $1,700 or so after the discount, give or take $100 or so. With the hood, the total is well over $2,000, and is closer to $3,000 for the parts and that is not painted.

Check out the thread in OEM Parts. It should be a stickied thread at or near the top. Send KC a PM and he can give you prices for the parts. He's A+ on here to deal with in terms of parts.
Now, as for stripes, there are 2 versions, painted and vinyl. You have to weight your decision on what you want your car to be. Is it a daily driver, or are you making up a car for weekend car shows and cruise nights and nice weekend drives? Also, do you plan on keeping the car for more than a few years? If your going to trade up in a few years, I recommend Vinyl. Its inexpensive, and you won't shell out alot of cash for the job. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, painted stripes are the ONLY way to go. When I ordered my car, painted stripes were the only option I was thinking of. When it came in, the car went RIGHT to the body shop we use at my dealership, and they painted them on for me.

Now, the cost is a factor. Vinyl stripes usually can go between $300-$600 installed, depending on area. Painted stripes vary in price ALOT. This is all due to competition by the many shops and for the quality of work your looking for. Some places will charge as low at $600 I have heard, but they won't sand the stripes smooth. They just lay out the tape line and paint them and clear them. You will have an edge on them. Good stripes done properly, will usually cost $1,000, to $2,000 or so. Again, price and region vary this price ALOT! I paid $1,000 as it was his 1st Mustang he ever did. The job was fantastic! When you get quotes, ask them questions, like "have you painted stripes on the new Mustang before" and "what is your prep work for the job", and "do you sand the stripes smooth before clearing"? Any shop that tells you they DON'T have to remove the bumpers on the car to do the job, RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!! I have heard horror stories of places that don't remove the panels. For the job to be done properly, both bumpers, hood and trunklid are removed AFTER they lay out the stripes! Your best bet to find a good shop, is to attend a local car show, and find a few cars that have REALLY GOOD paint jobs (straight color, flames, stripes, graffics), and ask the owner of said car, where they got the work done. This will help dearly and save time to find the right shop for you.

If you got any other questions on things, don't hesitate to post up. We're all friends on here and all help each other out with questions, problems and such. Its a great site and a great community on TMS! Good luck with your project!!
Old 10/10/08, 06:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum and just think, it is not only your first post but also your first post that has been moved to another section

All I can tell you is that it is not going to be cheap. Exterior mods are expensive to buy as well as to have them painted properly. My front fascia, rear valance and side skirts cost me around $1400.00 but then close to $2400.00 to have them painted. As Jeff mentioned, the price of stripes will vary depending on if you go with vinyl or paint. Since you are looking at getting a new hood, fascia, spoiler, you might as well have them painted on at the same time.
Old 10/10/08, 06:57 PM
lou
GT Member

wow! thanks for all that info, and that web site. i didnt check my post but i may have said i wanted 18 inch polished wheels, i changed my mind on that. i want svt wheels that come on the shelby, what do four of those wheels cost?
Old 10/10/08, 07:03 PM
lou
GT Member

scratch that question i found them on the website lol...