05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Questions: CDC Shaker Hood

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/06, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new here, so hi everybody! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wavey.gif[/img]

My name is Michael and I own a Mustang 2005 GT (Pic1 Pic2 Pic3). I live in germany, so please excuse my somewhat bad english. But I'll try [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbob.gif[/img]

I have a few questions concerning the CDC shaker hood (LINK) and since CDC won't answer my email I thought I'll try to find my answers here [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

First questions I have is about the generated noise. We have very stern restrictions on drive-by-noise here in germany and I wanted to know how loud the sound of the air intake from the shaker hood really is! A soundfile directly from the shaker hood or an experience report would be great!

Second questions: What about the water getting into the scoop itself at driving speed and the engine compartment when the stang is standing (the water getting through the gap between scoop and hood)? Is there any possibility of damage to the engine? Where does the water go which gets into the engine compartment?

Third question: How large is the box in which the shaker hood is shipped? Because of the fact that I need it to be delivered to germany, a rather large box would burn a hole into my wallet [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
So is there anyone who could measure the package for me please?

Last question: In order to get an approval from the authorities the whole system from air filter box to engine must be unchanged. If I'm correct, the shaker sits in front of the whole air intake system, thus the stock intake system stays untouched. Correct?

Phew, that's it. The post got a bit long but I wanted to make my requests understandable, I hope they are [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

It seems that I am the first person in all of germany to install this kit on a 2005 Mustang, so I need your help in this case. Any hints are welcome, thanks in advance! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]
Old 2/6/06, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(addict @ February 6, 2006, 12:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm new here, so hi everybody! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wavey.gif[/img]

My name is Michael and I own a Mustang 2005 GT (Pic1 Pic2 Pic3). I live in germany, so please excuse my somewhat bad english. But I'll try [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbob.gif[/img]

I have a few questions concerning the CDC shaker hood (LINK) and since CDC won't answer my email I thought I'll try to find my answers here [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

First questions I have is about the generated noise. We have very stern restrictions on drive-by-noise here in germany and I wanted to know how loud the sound of the air intake from the shaker hood really is! A soundfile directly from the shaker hood or an experience report would be great!

Second questions: What about the water getting into the scoop itself at driving speed and the engine compartment when the stang is standing (the water getting through the gap between scoop and hood)? Is there any possibility of damage to the engine? Where does the water go which gets into the engine compartment?

Third question: How large is the box in which the shaker hood is shipped? Because of the fact that I need it to be delivered to germany, a rather large box would burn a hole into my wallet [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
So is there anyone who could measure the package for me please?

Last question: In order to get an approval from the authorities the whole system from air filter box to engine must be unchanged. If I'm correct, the shaker sits in front of the whole air intake system, thus the stock intake system stays untouched. Correct?

Phew, that's it. The post got a bit long but I wanted to make my requests understandable, I hope they are [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

It seems that I am the first person in all of germany to install this kit on a 2005 Mustang, so I need your help in this case. Any hints are welcome, thanks in advance! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

No Additional or notable noise is generated..

Water coming in the scoop may end up in the bottom of the air-box but won't end up going through the oiled filter panel (like K&N) that comes with the kit. So far it has not been an issue with mine.

The box is huge. I'd say 30" x 30" x 12" (that is from my foggy memory so don't take that to the bank..

You can install the system without running the cold air into your airbox if you like. You can also use the air from the scoop as "supplemental" air to the factory air-box and still have the air-box draw air from the inside of the left front fender like I did. The CDC kit gives you a block-off plate to the fender air if you want to try and achieve the Ram Air effect (which it really won't do very well)..

The bottom line for this kit is that it is more for looks than it is for performance. Certainly the cooler air is good for performance but the air above the hood is not much cooler than that air which is inside the left front fender.
Old 2/6/06, 03:02 PM
Cobra Member

Hallo Michael und wilkommen zu den Site! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/welcome3.gif[/img]

Have a look at these threads for some info on the CDC shaker:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=34516&hl=
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=33646&hl=
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=31041&hl=
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=44181&hl=
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=30257&hl=

To answer your questions now:

1. No extra noise is generated by the shaker scoop, outside or inside.

2. Any water going in the scoop will be collected in the airbox, where it will eventually evaporate from. I've never had any water on the replacement filter. Around the scoop, water is collected on the engine cover and drains through 4 tubes around the engine.

3. The box was around 80x80x40 cm. Shipping to Holland cost me $150 for UPS and $100 for customs tax.

4. The only modification to the stock air intake is cutting a hole in the airbox for the tube coming into it from the shaker scoop. Like Big-Foot, I didn't use the block-off plate either.

All-in all, it's merely a "cosmetic" mod. Don't expect any performance gains, unless you combine the CDC shaker with a CAI+tune combo (even then, the shaker won't be responsible for increased HP). However, I can say that fuel mileage has improved slightly after installing the shaker.

If you want, PM me for more details.

Louie.
Old 2/6/06, 06:50 PM
Cobra Member

Great feedback on the CDC shaker....I too am thinking about installing it - but can it be installed with the JLT CAI & tune.....I really like the look - but not at the expense of the added performance that the JLT provides.......anyone out there install the CDC with an aftermarket CAI? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 10:50 AM

Thanks for all the input guys!

CDC answered me at last, here's what they wrote:

Originally posted by CDC
Thanks for the interest and questions! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. To answer your questions:

1) Water management was a top priority when we designed the system. There are a number of drain holes along the intake ducting, and there is a trough built around the scoop, which includes four drain holes and four high-temp rubber drain tubes. The air ducting also feeds into the back/lower portion of the factory air box, which also has its own water management. We've had Shakers on all of our '05 show cars for over a year, and have driven them across country in rain and snow (even at high speeds) without any problems.

2) There is a gap between the hood and engine cover/alum scoop w/ the hood closed. As mentioned, there is a depression/trough formed into the engine cover, around the base of the scoop. In the trough are the four drain holes and drain tubes, which can be routed any way you like to divert water from the engine. The engine cover itself (provided in the kit) covers a majority of the top of the engine, so water will have a VERY difficult time getting to it.

3) The intake does get a little louder, but I believe it is primarily due to the high flow S&B filter (like a K&N) we provide in the kit. The noise increase in my opinion is not very substantial at all.

4) There should be no problems with getting the scoop to fit in the center of the hood. We have installed a substantial number of these in-house, using the same kits out of the box that we would have otherwise shipped to customers. There is adjustability designed into the mounting points, so you should be able to make any adjustments necessary to center the scoop. It is essential that you measure and re-measure to make sure you have the center of the hood before laying out the template and cutting.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks again!
I've ordered the hood scoop along with the hood struts yesterday, can't wait to roam the streets with the first Mustang with shaker hood in germany [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nanadance.gif[/img]

I hope that scoop can cope with the speed on german autobahns (140 mp/h [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbang.gif[/img] )
Old 2/8/06, 11:21 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(addict @ February 8, 2006, 6:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for all the input guys!

CDC answered me at last, here's what they wrote:
I've ordered the hood scoop along with the hood struts yesterday, can't wait to roam the streets with the first Mustang with shaker hood in germany [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nanadance.gif[/img]

I hope that scoop can cope with the speed on german autobahns (140 mp/h [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbang.gif[/img] )
[/b][/quote]

Good choice, Michael!

Before you rush into 100+ mph speeds, make sure the hood does not shake or buckle!
Some people (including me) have had to install hood pins on stock hoods.
I drove 145 mph in Germany with hood pins and shaker scoop and everything was perfect.
Old 2/10/06, 10:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed one of the first production CDC Shakers shipped out. Have a professional cut your hood, follow there directions exactly. Don't worry about hood pins, I've had mine way up there. I think Randy and I installed about the same time. By a flexible socket wrench to get to the throttle body bolts on the front.

I have noted some additional excelleration noise that I really like and good gas mileage. You'll like this after you get it done.

Just my thoughts, download the instructions off their website prior to getting it so your ready upon arrival. I didn't use the factory supplied plug either to the air box.

It will turn heads...............
Old 2/13/06, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tapd117 @ February 11, 2006, 1:02 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Have a professional cut your hood, follow there directions exactly.
[/b][/quote]

Cutting it yourself is ok. It is scary!! My heart was racing when I first started to drill the pilot hole, then when I started to cut.

Just make sure you paint the bare metal after you make the cut and before you install the trim ring.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tapd117 @ February 11, 2006, 1:02 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It will turn heads...............
[/b][/quote]

Yes, it will!