05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Put Fogs On My V6

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/05, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Donna!!

psychen6...

The "wiring harness" I will make myself, if I go that route. The remote FOB sounds very interesting. Mr. Wick has installed that so you may want to ask him about that.
Old 2/28/05, 05:32 PM
GT Member

The wiring harness/remote switch I got was $29.99 at Walmart. It was on the shelf right next to the lights. It's made by APC. That was the last one they had. They also had several that had a switch that was hard-wired for $19.99.
Old 3/1/05, 08:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Grimlock@February 27, 2005, 10:06 PM
The wireless switch is actually a little key fob. The kit has a wiring harness that connects a receiver that you mount under the hood to your power source and lights. Using this, you don't have to run any wires through the firewall. Works great.

The lights are 5", so they are smaller than GT lights.

The 5.0 is a 93 GT Convertible.
So how can you turn them off without a swith, or do they always come on with your headlight or with your parking lights. Can you have your headlights on without the fogs and can you have the fogs on without the headlights. That's kind of what I was trying to figure out.
Old 3/1/05, 11:13 AM
GT Member

The fogs are completely independent of the headlights. The kit I bought contains a receiver module that mounts under the hood. This module then connects to the fogs and to the power source. I just plugged it into the power distribution box. The switch is a little key fob that is a wireless transmitter. I mounted it under my dash. Took all of 5 minutes to wire them up.
Old 3/1/05, 12:35 PM

If i do it i think i will just splice into the headlight wires right and left that way when the headlights are on these are on. That way they are properly protected by the fuse. I don't htink it will pull to much but then again the wires are only like 20 gauge. I think i like the blazer lights better plus they said these were easier to install since they are flat and not rounded. Don't think i want to use the epoxy stuff but would like to know that the lights would mount with out you being able to see behind the lip of the light housing where it meets the grill. Do the blazer lights come with a bracket that can be effectively used.
Old 3/1/05, 12:43 PM

If I were adding fogs to a V6, I would get this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7958252533&rd=1. I have my fogs on a lot more than the headlights and I wouldn't want them permanently linked together.
Old 3/1/05, 08:37 PM
FR500 Member

$65 is not too bad at all. I thought I'd post this here too... I will be selling my GT grill soon because I am getting the billet grill from CDC. So, a GT grill with stock foglights and wires should go well with a GT stock headlight/fog switch unit. If anyone is interested in my grill, let me know by sending a PM.
Old 3/3/05, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Grimlock@February 28, 2005, 6:35 PM
The wiring harness/remote switch I got was $29.99 at Walmart. It was on the shelf right next to the lights. It's made by APC. That was the last one they had. They also had several that had a switch that was hard-wired for $19.99.
I don't suppose you would have a part or model number for that Remote Wire harness / switch would you?

I'm having trouble finding one at any Walmart. :bang:
Old 3/3/05, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Wintrmte@March 3, 2005, 10:22 AM

I don't suppose you would have a part or model number for that Remote Wire harness / switch would you?

I'm having trouble finding one at any Walmart. :bang:
I'll see if I can get that for you. Like I said, I only saw one left at Walmart, and it was stuffed behind some other kits that had the hard-wired switch. It's possible they don't carry it anymore and I happened to get the last of their stock.
Old 3/3/05, 11:47 AM

Grimlock,

You got some sweet rides man. Whats the specs on the GT? I bet you get a lot of compliments on it too.
Old 3/3/05, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Mirakaski@March 3, 2005, 12:50 PM
Grimlock,

You got some sweet rides man. Whats the specs on the GT? I bet you get a lot of compliments on it too.
Something like 210 hp, maybe? He doesn't have any performance mods listed.
Old 3/3/05, 03:04 PM
GT Member

The problem using the Gt light switch is that some of the wiring may not be in the wiring harness on a V6.The micro relay and fuse in the fuse/relay box that the GT uses are not installed on a V6.Never figured out how to get to the underside of the fuse/relay box to see if any wires were there already.If you get the remote switch you never have to touch any existing wiring.The other thing I am not sure of is there any electronic components involved in getting the fog lights to workThe remote switch is easy and simple and the lights can be turned on anytime unlike when the GT light switch is used.
Old 3/3/05, 08:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the instruction and tips on doing this great looking mod!!!
Old 3/5/05, 06:57 PM
GT Member

Here's a better picture of my grille.
Old 3/5/05, 07:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Kinda neat Did you cut holes in the grill ? after seeing it makes me think of getting someone to build me a gas light ( like a pub sign ) Pony for the grill ? Looks Good !
Old 3/5/05, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can see a lot of uses for that remote switch.... (gears turning in my head right now...haha)
Old 3/7/05, 07:15 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by GottaHaveIt@March 5, 2005, 8:05 PM
Kinda neat Did you cut holes in the grill ? after seeing it makes me think of getting someone to build me a gas light ( like a pub sign ) Pony for the grill ? Looks Good !
Yes, this does require cutting holes in the grille. There's no other way to mount them without doing that, unless you want them to stick out 4 inches from the grille.
Old 3/7/05, 05:15 PM
GT Member

You can find the remote switch at www.autobarn.net/helligstor.html and it is item #hel88218.It sells for 34.95 plus shipping and it works like a charm.Several different way to hook the switch up depending on how you want the fog lights to work.The green wire from the control box controls when the lights will work.Hook the green wire to one of the high beam wires(clip on splice) for the fogs to be on as driving lights.Hook the green wire to one of the low beam wires(same splice) for the fogs to work as fog lights.I hooked the grenn wire to continuous 12 volts in the fuse/relay box so the lights will work whenever you turn them on regardless of what other lights are on.Wiring diagram that comes with the switch is straight foward except for the green wire.I hooked up an amp meter up and the green wire pulls about 4 miliamps so I don't think it will bother the battery.Thats the one drawback to hooking this wire to 12 volts directly.All you have in the car is a fob smaller than the ford fob and it comes with a small holder that attaches to the dash with double sided tape.My car has sat for days and weeks at a time without being started and the battery has not been affected by the drain from the control box.I think you will like it.Sorry for the lon post.Any questions let me know.Never found one at walmart here.
Old 3/12/05, 08:59 PM
Rik
GT Member

Originally posted by flight96@February 27, 2005, 11:27 PM
Great job !! We should start a club I like the way the smaller foglights look! Here's a pic of mine...
Add me to the club!

Many thanks to Mr. Wick. I went over to his house this afternoon and he helped me install my own lights. (Helped? Heck, he did most of the work.) But at least now I know how to do it if I ever need to again.
Old 3/13/05, 01:22 AM
3rd Times A Charm

I would put the fogs closer together ifg it were me. Glad you guys are happy.

Quick Reply: Put Fogs On My V6