05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Protecting your CDC chin spoiler....

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/06, 09:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protecting your CDC chin spoiler....

I'll be getting my CDC classic chin spoiler this Thursday and just wanted to see if anyone has some tips or tricks to offer for preventing damage to the chin spoiler. I know at some point I'm going to scrape it on something but was hoping someone has come up with something to minimize the damage.
Old 10/31/06, 05:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've had my CDC Cl.assic for about 1 1/2 years - due to my own dumb *** attacks, I have hit it 4 times. It is extremely durable. Would suggest you put multiple layers of wax on it. One thing I did find out - the tape that is in the middle section of the spoiler "let loose" the first time it got hit. IMO this was a good thing since it lets the spoiler move up and down.
Old 10/31/06, 05:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Clear bra material. Can buy it off ebay. 3M or Avery.
Old 10/31/06, 06:47 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Heres what my friend Greg did for the trip back from Myrtle Beach to Pennsylvania. Its painters tape. Worked well for a road trip.
Old 10/31/06, 06:50 AM
Cobra R Member

That is why I never painted mine gloss black. I kept it matte black from CDC. I can touch it up with spray paint. The painters tape is a good idea. I saw on Horsepower tv that duplicolor has some paint that applies on and you can wash it off later. Try that.
Old 10/31/06, 06:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Donna
Heres what my friend Greg did for the trip back from Myrtle Beach to Pennsylvania. Its painters tape. Worked well for a road trip.
Donna, hows it going? Good picture of my buddy's car. Leo, getting Blue Painters Tape is the best idea for the money. Greg game me the idea too. I have used it when I go to shows and it really does help. You just cover EVERY part, and it will basically eliminate the rock chips.

The 3M vinyl is a great idea, but its best to let the paint on the spoiler cure for 90 days before you wax it or apply any type of protection film on it. My painter put stripes on my CDC Chin to match my car, and I really can't do anything with it yet, in regards to a real wax job. In the interim, the blue tape is the easiest, and it won't hurt the finish at all. I use the "delicate 60 day" tape.

And lastly, when I park my car, I ALWAYS back it into spots. I never pull it in anymore. I never know how high those concrete barriers are and I never want to hear that horrible sound of my chin spoiler scraping. Hope this helps.
Old 10/31/06, 08:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I'll be getting my CDC classic chin spoiler this Thursday and just wanted to see if anyone has some tips or tricks to offer for preventing damage to the chin spoiler. I know at some point I'm going to scrape it on something but was hoping someone has come up with something to minimize the damage.
Tips? Go and approach bumps and dips slow and at an angle to prevent (or minimize) scrapes.

Another idea I've seen done is to get a thin piece on aluminum sheeting and outline the underside of the spoiler. Cherry rivet it up to the bottom side and now you have a skid guard.

Once you lower the car, your pucker factor wil increase by 2! So be prepared.
Old 10/31/06, 08:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Bill, is it one of your club members that has this?? If so do you have any pics of it?
Old 10/31/06, 09:02 AM

Bill, is it one of your club members that has this?? If so do you have any pics of it?
Yes, Mike, with the black GT. I don't have a good pic, but I'll probably see him at our next meet on 11/15.

This is the only pic I have, had to zoom in on it, but you can see it.

btw- He's got the Eibach Pro Kit, so he really needs it!
Attached Images  
Old 10/31/06, 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Bill I'll be waiting for the pic.

BTW- I just noticed you don't have a write up for your chin spoiler install. I know it's not rocket science but since you have a write up for almost all your mods.
Old 10/31/06, 09:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Using this pic of your chin spoiler as reference.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Anch=imgAnch16

Does that piece of aluminum go from end to end or is it just on the outer center area? Where'd he get it cut to size? Did he install himself?
Old 10/31/06, 09:21 AM

BTW- I just noticed you don't have a write up for your chin spoiler install. I know it's not rocket science but since you have a write up for almost all your mods.
Hey, maybe I'll do that today!

Does that piece of aluminum go from end to end or is it just on the outer center area? Where'd he get it cut to size? Did he install himself?
If I remember correctly, it's only under the center section (as pictured), but I could be wrong. I'll get a better pic of its exact location when I see the car.

Yes, he owns a shop, so he does all his work himself.
Attached Thumbnails Protecting your CDC chin spoiler....-spoiler.jpg  
Old 10/31/06, 09:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks again. It looks like your headlights are tinted in that pic. It's amazing to see how different your looks before the stripes and shaker.
Old 10/31/06, 09:29 AM

It's amazing to see how different your looks before the stripes and shaker.
Almost nekked!
Old 10/31/06, 12:40 PM

Here ya go, Leo! link
Old 10/31/06, 12:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Leo, I actually went to a fabric store on Sunday and bought some blue fleece, and some blue vinyl. What I plan on doing is making a bra, or bonnet to cover the chin spoiler and plan on having it held in place with some velcro straps. Its a little hard to explain, but the idea is in my head. I'm going to start the process this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes, and IF its a sucess.
Old 10/31/06, 08:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Bill-Thanks.

Jeff-Looking foward to an update.
Old 10/31/06, 10:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I've had my CDC lip on for 1 1/2 years and haven't scrapped it. It is a magnet for rock chips though. I will be putting mine up for sale next spring because I want a Roush front end.
Old 11/1/06, 06:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Jeff-Looking foward to an update.
Hey Leo, no problem dude. Hope to have this project started this weekend.
Old 11/20/06, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking of having the Scotchgard paint protectant film applied to my cdc classic chin spoiler. Would I be better off holding off on installing the spoiler until after having the film applied or is it easy enough for them to apply the stuff even with the spoiler on the car?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Protecting your CDC chin spoiler....