05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Powered by ford emblems ...

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/09, 09:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Powered by ford emblems ...

I just got a set of these off eBay and found an old thread from 07 where quite a few of you guy's got them back then. How did they hold up , did anybody put any clear coat on them ? I've had several sets of emblems and none of them have held up very long , the colors always fade. The last set I got were the Scott Drake billet powered by ford and even they didn't hold up well. Since these are just made out of plastic , I'm debating on whether to put some clear coat on the painted portions. Thanks for any help on this ...
Old 9/28/09, 02:03 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lately a lot of ford emblems seem to be having their color flaking off. I have noticed a lot of Super Duty's with this issue and they have similar emblems to the Ford/Shelby "Powered by Ford" emblems. I still have a set in the box I got from a friends speed shop. I like them a lot and I'm afraid to put them on the car and take a chance of them getting damaged knowing how much people will pay for them.
Old 9/28/09, 03:18 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I bet its the tree hugger's fault.

I'm sure the proper paint is no longer allowed to be used anymore for fear it will poison our water and kill us all.
Old 9/28/09, 03:37 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
werd
Old 9/28/09, 04:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can see the emblem on the pillar, it has been on there since i bought them and they have not faded at all. All i do is just spray them with a little quick detailer once in a while and have not had a single problem with them.

PS: that is an old pic but it is just to show where they are on the car.

EDIT: here is a more up to date pic

Last edited by RedDragon777; 9/28/09 at 04:39 PM.
Old 9/29/09, 05:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

07S197 , Your right about the price , I glad I don't have a wife that I have to explain the price to. I figured I just skip 10 lap dances this week and still have something when I'm done

RedDragon777 , thanks for the info that makes me feel a little better , like I said I haven't had any emblem hold up so far. The detailer sounds like a good idea , I might still put some clear coat on the red and blue stripes , it was the red that faded so badly on the Scott Drake emblems ...
Old 9/29/09, 04:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah thats why i wanted the Shelby emblems and the night that i saw they were for sale i picked them up right away. I am still kicking myself for not buying two pairs and just buying one. But i have not nocticed a single problem with them, and i think they already have a clear coat on them, i know the Scott drake is just enamel painted on a peice of metal so it will chip after a while.
Old 9/29/09, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've had the Scott Drake versions on my '05 for about 2 yrs

No problems yet. I live in a dry area, but we get lots of sun. No fading so far. Didn't do anything to them except a light coat of the liquid wax I use on the rest of the car. They have been through many coin-op washings.

One thing I think needs to be done with all exterior emblems. Really clean the spot where you want them. And try to apply them on a hot day. Make sure the adhesive gets a good chance to bake on there. Don't go near a car wash for a week or two. They will stay on there really well. Mine have.
Old 9/29/09, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You still have any of the old faded sets? Ive been wanting to pick up a set of these and paint them black so if youve got an old faded set that you want to sell let me know.

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
I just got a set of these off eBay and found an old thread from 07 where quite a few of you guy's got them back then. How did they hold up , did anybody put any clear coat on them ? I've had several sets of emblems and none of them have held up very long , the colors always fade. The last set I got were the Scott Drake billet powered by ford and even they didn't hold up well. Since these are just made out of plastic , I'm debating on whether to put some clear coat on the painted portions. Thanks for any help on this ...
Old 9/30/09, 05:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

RedDraggon777 , you might be right about the clear coat they do look very shiny , almost like metal. Since you live in Texas , I would assume that you get just as much or more Sun than we do and since yours have held up , hopefully mine will to. Thanks for the info ...

S197 V6 , They're on the car right now , I'm pulling them off this weekend and installing the new ones. If you lived in So. Fla and wanted to pick them up I'd give them to you. I'm not really big on packing stuff up and mailing it , or else my spare bed room wouldn't look like an upstairs garage filled with all the parts I taken off. If you ever get down this way , let me know and you can have them. On second thought , if you wanted to send me a self addressed and stamped envelope , I'd stick them in it and mail that to you. PM me if you want to do that ...

Northwest GT , yeah my driveway faces the east and in the afternoon during the summer the passenger side just bakes and it's the worst side , the drivers side is only faded a little. On the passenger side , the red is completely gone and there seems to be some kind of plastic coating on them that is also deteriorating. I actually did put some clear coat on the stripes on them when I first installed them , but even that didn't help. I guess you far enough north so that they hold up OK ...

Last edited by 05YellowGT; 9/30/09 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10/6/09, 09:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
yeah thats why i wanted the Shelby emblems and the night that i saw they were for sale i picked them up right away. I am still kicking myself for not buying two pairs and just buying one. But i have not nocticed a single problem with them, and i think they already have a clear coat on them, i know the Scott drake is just enamel painted on a peice of metal so it will chip after a while.
I HAVE TWO PAIR OF THE NEW SHEBLY -POWERED BY FORD-emblems,,,I will let a set -two fender emblems,one pair,,,left hand / right hand sides new never used go for $ 200.00,,,plus shipping ,,if you live in the US only,,,please PM me if you need a set,,,these are new.
Old 10/6/09, 09:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Talking