05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Magnetic Tail Panel Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/09, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Magnetic Tail Panel Owners

My dad has a 07 redfire GT/CS. Ive been trolling on here picking up parts here and there for it since my dad is 62 and hasn't grasped the concept of the computer very well. I actually have an 00 Roush Cougar Clone. Anyway, he was looking for a tail panel and and was worried that the magnetic one would scratch his new baby. Has anyone had issuses with the panel scatching the paint after extended use like those magnetic yellow ribbons/ sports logos etc usually do? The silver horse racing panel is another option. Also, can you please point me to the best place to purchase one? Ive read that some don't fit very well and curl up around the logo. Thanks and great site BTW!!!

Ill have to get some pics and post them up as his computer embassador as well

Last edited by Monkeygrits; 10/10/09 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10/10/09, 08:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I've seen signs made of that magnetic stuff, and all they do is damage paint and even cause rust underneath. I cannot imagine that this would be of any different abilities. Perhaps I need schooling.

As a temporary show item, for special occasions, maybe... but the trunk and the panel need to be pristine clean.

I'd never do this. Ever. If I wanted it black, I'd be painting it or vinyl decal. But not a temporary sign thing, no way.
Old 10/10/09, 08:32 PM

Yep this is what I was thinking too. Hopefully someone that has one chimes in. I guess the best option if keeping the faux gas lid is gonna be the SHR one then.
Old 10/10/09, 10:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have had one of these and have had no problems at all... I do remove it when it's wet and sometimes just remove it for a few weeks to be different. I have not heard of any problems with them...
Old 10/11/09, 06:30 AM
GT Member

I had one for about 2 years and changed it this past summer for a CDC blackout, but I had no issues with it.
Old 10/11/09, 07:09 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Monkeygrits
My dad has a 07 redfire GT/CS. Ive been trolling on here picking up parts here and there for it since my dad is 62 and hasn't grasped the concept of the computer very well. I actually have an 00 Roush Cougar Clone. Anyway, he was looking for a tail panel and and was worried that the magnetic one would scratch his new baby. Has anyone had issuses with the panel scatching the paint after extended use like those magnetic yellow ribbons/ sports logos etc usually do? The silver horse racing panel is another option. Also, can you please point me to the best place to purchase one? Ive read that some don't fit very well and curl up around the logo. Thanks and great site BTW!!!

Ill have to get some pics and post them up as his computer embassador as well
I've had one on for 18 months on my '09 GT, through the winters here in PA, and have had no issues at all. A couple of times a year I might peek under it or remove it when washing the car. I think that since it covers the entire trunklid up to a lip above the tail lights prevents any issue with dirt building up around the edge of a typical smaller magnetic piece. My wife's car had a couple of "bumper sticker"-like signs on the back of her van, and I would see dirt buildup around the edge especially in the winter on salted roads. I removed the stickers when washing and the dirt lines would easily wash off. No other problems in 10 years.

=Vic=
Old 10/11/09, 07:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Casey4s
I had one for about 2 years and changed it this past summer for a CDC blackout, but I had no issues with it.
Any pics comparing hte two?

I have the magnetic one as well for almost 2 years now with no issues. Before I put it on i did claybar and wax it well and i probably take it off every 6 months or so to clean under it, but i'm looking to go cdc since it looks naked without the panel IMO and i'm like something alittle more perminant.
Old 10/11/09, 09:38 AM
GT Member

Blackout Panel

I tried one and added the chrome tail light frames and liked the look. After about a year I rolled off the magnetic black panel out and peeled off the chrome tail light frames (they started to pop off and look bad and the tape would not hold them tight any longer) Finally I got rid of the lic. plate frame too. I had no issues with the magnetic black out panel and frankly i may put it back on. The white GT/CS with black side stripes looks good but that plain, all white rear end needs something to break it up. Paint is probably the best approach and if I do that, the wing spoiler will go to; I do likle the idea of changing things without major modifications, however. Magnetic panel is a decent compromise.
Attached Thumbnails Magnetic Tail Panel Owners-img_0012.jpg