05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/05, 11:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a search and folks talk about it in other posts but no answers and no specific threads on power antennas.

Has anyone installed one? Will it fit?

Does the shaker have a wire coming off of it for a power antenna?

Thanks, Drew
Old 3/11/05, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Good question. I am wanting to do this also. I have read a couple of threads about cutting the antenna down to a respectable size but I am waiting for someone to come out with a power antenna.
Old 3/11/05, 12:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The issue would be is there room to fit the motor behind the fender, I have no idea what type of space there is and if any of the aftermarket power antennas will fit.
Old 3/11/05, 01:34 PM
FR500 Member

Some posts I read in the past indicated people had installed them on previous Mustangs and they lasted about a year or less. If there is a quality unit out there, (maybe from Ford models, past or present) I would love to have one. I'll check out the available space issue tomorrow.
Old 3/11/05, 01:37 PM
FR500 Member

Maybe 05stangkc could assist with some info on this?
Old 3/11/05, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

The antenna and the side mirrors...two styling issues that I want to address on my '05 GT.

Both are hideous.
Old 3/11/05, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree Jack Frost. Let's take our giant antenna's off and go fishing!!!
Old 3/11/05, 04:24 PM
FR500 Member

I had a chance to check out the fender area and it doesn't appear to me there is enough room for a power antenna.
Old 3/11/05, 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Paul,

What did you have to do to get into that area and look? Are there inner wheel well panels that need to be popped off?

Anyone know what is under that giant, ugly piece of black plastic that is the antenna base? Could that be replaced with something cleaner, perhaps smaller?
Old 3/11/05, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have not looked under there yet but assume that space for the motor could be a problem. Here is a possible solution - flexible cable power antenna

This Crutchfield antenna has a fairly long flexible cable that leads from the antenna to the motor. As you can see from the instructions (which you can download) this cable allows you to move the motor around to mount it where you need to. Not sure if this would help but it could be the key.

I would be willing to try this if someone can tell me about what is going to have to be done to hook into a shaker 500. Is there already a wire or a connection coming off the radio for a power antenna?
Old 3/11/05, 08:32 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Hellcat6@March 11, 2005, 6:21 PM
Paul,

What did you have to do to get into that area and look? Are there inner wheel well panels that need to be popped off?

Anyone know what is under that giant, ugly piece of black plastic that is the antenna base? Could that be replaced with something cleaner, perhaps smaller?
Drew, believe me there isn't much room to work with in there even if you have an access opened up. The area is pretty much closed off, but you can get a finger in there at the inside of the fender, and I can feel the antenna lead extending from the antenna. I'll be working on the car tomorrow and maybe theres a better place aft to put one...without chopping out the fender and wheelwell.

Paul
Old 3/11/05, 10:21 PM
Banned

Alright, c'mon...this is a Mustang we are talking about right? If you wanted a power antenna..please start shopping at you local Honda or BMW dealer. Yes that antenna is tall, like every mustang in the past....all you have to do is pull the ball off of the top and cut your antenaa down to what ever length you want. It will not mess up your radio reception as many would think....You'll still be able to pick up your "golden oldies".
Power Antennaes belong on Mustangs just like heated seats...If you need that feature, then you probably should have bought a German engineered car.
Just my 2 cents.
2005MustangGT signing off.
Old 3/11/05, 10:42 PM
Bullitt Member

While I dislike the full length antenna...a shortened one looks even worse.

Makes the car look like it was violated by vandals.
Old 3/11/05, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jack Frost@March 11, 2005, 11:45 PM
While I dislike the full length antenna...a shortened one looks even worse.

Makes the car look like it was violated by vandals.
In Canada, is that what vandals do? If they see an antenna sticking out of the snow; they just come by and cut it off so the owner can't find there vehicle the next day? Just curious, never been to Canada before...sounds like a good trick.
Old 3/12/05, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

You miss the point Bucky. Some of us think that the antenna with the huge plastic base is butt ugly. Some of us will also be using sat radio all the time and the antenna becomes a useless rod sticking out of the car. Also, go back and take a look at the factory intro photos of nearly any car. You won't see many antennas at all. It just cleans up the lines of the car. Oh and nice chin splitter. Did you get that off a BMW?
Old 3/12/05, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 2005MustangGT@March 12, 2005, 12:07 AM
In Canada, is that what vandals do? If they see an antenna sticking out of the snow; they just come by and cut it off so the owner can't find there vehicle the next day? Just curious, never been to Canada before...sounds like a good trick.
'there vehicle' bwuahhhahaha

Yeah, we gots lots of dem dat snow up hear in igloo land..butt, at least we know how too speek English.

Old 3/12/05, 07:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jack Frost+March 12, 2005, 7:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Frost @ March 12, 2005, 7:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-2005MustangGT@March 12, 2005, 12:07 AM

Yeah, we gots lots of dem dat snow up hear in igloo land..butt, at least we know how too speek English.

[/b][/quote]

Well all but some dem folks in Montreal. We not sure what dey saying. fromage? moutard? grey poupon?

j/k
Old 3/12/05, 09:52 AM
FR500 Member

[quote=2005MustangGT,March 11, 2005, 9:24 PM]
Alright, c'mon...this is a Mustang we are talking about right? If you wanted a power antenna..please start shopping at you local Honda or BMW dealer. Yes that antenna is tall, like every mustang in the past....all you have to do is pull the ball off of the top and cut your antenaa down to what ever length you want. It will not mess up your radio reception as many would think....You'll still be able to pick up your "golden oldies".
Power Antennaes belong on Mustangs just like heated seats...If you need that feature, then you probably should have bought a German engineered car.
Just my 2 cents.

I don't remember having power seats, power windows, air-conditioning, tilt steering wheel etc., etc., etc., etc., in the '65.....maybe while you are busy removing those "frills" from your GT you won't notice some of us adding an antenna!
Old 3/12/05, 09:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=wild stray,March 12, 2005, 10:55 AM]
Originally Posted by 2005MustangGT,March 11, 2005, 9:24 PM
Just my 2 cents.

I don't remember having power seats, power windows, air-conditioning, tilt steering wheel etc., etc., etc., etc., in the '65.....maybe while you are busy removing those "frills" from your GT you won't notice some of us adding an antenna!
Exactly...Pretty hypocritical huh!
Old 3/12/05, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jack Frost+March 12, 2005, 8:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Frost @ March 12, 2005, 8:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-2005MustangGT@March 12, 2005, 12:07 AM

[/b][/quote]

"BUTT" / "SPEEK" ....SURE YOU DO.

Quick Reply: Power antenna