05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Painting Calipers - How To

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/06, 04:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slowjoe24 @ March 1, 2006, 10:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Paul.....They look great. Tell me the advantage of using the GT take-offs? Bigger/better? Do they fit okay. Also, what about upgrading to the GT rotors.....if I did this could I move my V6 front rotos to the rear?I already have the 17" GT bullit take-offs on my V6.
[/b][/quote]

The advantage is in running the larger GT front rotors. They cool better because they have more surface area, and since the caliper grabs them farther from the hub, they have a mechanical strength advantage in slowing the wheels

The V6 and the GT actually share the same front calipers. The only difference between the brakes are the brackets the calipers mount onto, and the diameter of the rotors (11.4" on the V6 vs. 12.4" on the GT). Even the pads are interchangable between the two setups (good for me, as I'd bought some ceramic pads for the V6, and hadn't installed them yet. I was quite happy to find out I didn't need to go out and buy different pads for the GT brakes).

Rear brake setups are 100% identical on both models.

The upshot is this is a very easy upgrade really requiring only 4 new parts (2 GT front rotors and 2 GT caliper mounting brackets)

Note: this does also require some type of larger wheels. It won't work with the standard V6 16" alloys.
Old 3/2/06, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used POR engine paint. It takes a long time to dry but is tiugh as nails. 4200 miles and no chipping.
Old 3/2/06, 10:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torch_Vert @ March 1, 2006, 5:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The advantage is in running the larger GT front rotors. They cool better because they have more surface area, and since the caliper grabs them farther from the hub, they have a mechanical strength advantage in slowing the wheels

The V6 and the GT actually share the same front calipers. The only difference between the brakes are the brackets the calipers mount onto, and the diameter of the rotors (11.4" on the V6 vs. 12.4" on the GT). Even the pads are interchangable between the two setups (good for me, as I'd bought some ceramic pads for the V6, and hadn't installed them yet. I was quite happy to find out I didn't need to go out and buy different pads for the GT brakes).

Rear brake setups are 100% identical on both models.

The upshot is this is a very easy upgrade really requiring only 4 new parts (2 GT front rotors and 2 GT caliper mounting brackets)

Note: this does also require some type of larger wheels. It won't work with the standard V6 16" alloys.
[/b][/quote]

So, 2 GT Front Rotors and 2 GT caliper mounts......what did that cost and where do I get them?
Old 3/2/06, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Saleen sells the take offs for right around $100 for the front brake calipers and rotors....good deal. It cost over twice that new.

hags
Old 3/2/06, 08:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hags1 @ March 2, 2006, 8:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Saleen sells the take offs for right around $100 for the front brake calipers and rotors....good deal. It cost over twice that new.

hags
[/b][/quote]

Thanks!!!! Great deal!!!

I just looked at them on that site. Also,is there any advantage to adding the GT front struts to my V6? They are only $50 for the pair!!
Old 4/21/06, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I just ordered my Xenon decals and I'm ready to paint my OEM calipers! Any new advice from anyone who's done this mod?
Old 4/22/06, 12:20 AM

Mustangsy.photosite.com/mysecondgirlfriend

theres b4 and after pics of the calipers. i love the new look. subtle but aggressive.

i used G2 paint

took about 5-6hrs (including lunch and trip to the auto store

it was also my first mod, ever... so there was a major learning curve.
Old 4/22/06, 10:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I also have decided to go with the G2 system. From what I hear it is a better paint system to lasting quality! I'll post photos after I'm finished!
Old 4/23/06, 02:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK, this has prob been asked before (maybe by me), but do you have to do all 4 wheels at once? AKA, do you have to jack the whole car up? Can you do one wheel at a time? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get the car up?? I really want to do this very soon, so help me out.......
Old 4/24/06, 11:54 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nole_trainer @ April 23, 2006, 5:02 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
OK, this has prob been asked before (maybe by me), but do you have to do all 4 wheels at once? AKA, do you have to jack the whole car up? Can you do one wheel at a time? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get the car up?? I really want to do this very soon, so help me out.......
[/b][/quote]

You should either jack the whole car up at once or work really quickly. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] I found the following quote on G2's website:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Once the paint and reactor are mixed, there are only 4-6 hours working time. After that, paint left in the can will harden and will not be useable. Plan application accordingly.[/b][/quote]

I haven't done mine yet, but I'll definitely jack up the whole car to do mine so that I have plenty of time.

-TRB
Old 4/24/06, 03:58 PM

yeah they say you have 4-6 hours.. but if you have used this paint it starts to get hard REALLY fast especially if your working on a windy day with a crossbreeze in your garage. i found that the paint after about 1hr was getting to be pretty thick and so i would think if you have to apply more than one coat, allowing for drying time inbetween each coat of about 15mins.. by the time you got to the last coat on the 4th wheel, it would be like trying to paint with rubber cement... just my 2cents would be to do whatever nescessary to get all 4 wheels up in the air at one time, because your supposed to allow some time before installing the wheels anyways....
Old 4/24/06, 05:18 PM

Im pretty sure the calipers are not bare aluminum from the factory. It looks like they are anodized, or have another coating on them. That would explain some of your chipping problems.
Old 4/24/06, 07:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Has anybody had the G2 paint set to chip? Also, how many coats is best for the G2? I can't wait to try it.

PS: My Xenon decals came today!
Old 4/27/06, 07:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Where is the best price on the G2 Caliper Paint Set?
Old 4/27/06, 07:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is kind off topic but I need some advice on what color to paint my calipers. I have the Pony Package bullet wheels and naturall my car is Vista blue. Every one always uses red but Im not sure if a dark alloy or silver would look better(like the Roush breaks). Anyone want to help me decide?
Old 4/27/06, 08:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also do you need to do any wheel balancing? I would have just edited this into my last post but my STUPID internet browser keeps giving me run time errors when I click on the edit button [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 08:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vistablue mustang @ April 27, 2006, 8:54 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Every one always uses red but Im not sure if a dark alloy or silver would look better(like the Roush breaks). Anyone want to help me decide?
[/b][/quote]
Dark Alloy or Silver = Subtle
Red = Not so subtle
Which look are you after ?

Personally I like the Red

and why would you need wheel balancing ??
Old 4/27/06, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

So what is the safe way to jack the GT up on say 4 jack stands?
Old 5/1/06, 11:59 AM

Hey I painted my calipers just recently and they look awesome!!! I went to www.hubcapsplus.com because I got this $5.00 coupon to use and I couldn't be happier. If this is something that you are interested in heres my coupon code to use and hopefully it will work out for you as well as it did for me!!!!! the code I entered was SSMTS0506 Let me know what you think!
Old 5/1/06, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blueracer23 @ May 1, 2006, 2:02 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey I painted my calipers just recently and they look awesome!!! I went to www.hubcapsplus.com because I got this $5.00 coupon to use and I couldn't be happier. If this is something that you are interested in heres my coupon code to use and hopefully it will work out for you as well as it did for me!!!!! the code I entered was SSMTS0506 Let me know what you think!
[/b][/quote]

Susie, tried using that code but it did not work where'd you get it?

Quick Reply: Painting Calipers - How To