05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Painted Stripe Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/12, 04:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
I dont know, but doubt it would be that expensive...you'd still need to tape/peel/test adhesion on the rest of it to be sure its got a decent bond(but looks like just poorly cleaned around light cutouts before it was painted). might be worth asking a bodyshop to look into.
I had a 81 dodge pickup(put a 396 chevy in it no less) that was over cleared, that truck polished up better than any vehicle Ive ever had, still looked great when I got rid of it 10 years later... it was a dark brown metallic with gold stripes- sounds ugly but it looked pretty sharp- and after clearing the stripes were smooth edged, easy to wax, etc...
just gotta be sure the existing(remaining) black has enough adhesion to stay put...once sealed *I think* it should not deteriorate/lift any more- but youd need to be pretty certain its holding fast before 'setting it in stone' or a bigger problem might arise later...
Alright, well I'll let you guys know how it goes...
Old 1/3/12, 06:59 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
If the blue is factory paint (baked on Enamle) then you can use laquer thinner without hurting the paint. I have a 2012 Boss and removed the decal from my hood and had a major problem with glue. I consulted a body shop and the laquer thinner was the fix. I used about a pint of thinner without any problems. Do a test area under the trunk just to be sure. Without the clear those stripes should bubble up and be removed with ease.
Old 1/3/12, 07:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boss man
If the blue is factory paint (baked on Enamle) then you can use laquer thinner without hurting the paint. I have a 2012 Boss and removed the decal from my hood and had a major problem with glue. I consulted a body shop and the laquer thinner was the fix. I used about a pint of thinner without any problems. Do a test area under the trunk just to be sure. Without the clear those stripes should bubble up and be removed with ease.
THANK YOU! That sounds like an easy solution! I'll check it on the underside of the trunk tomorrow, and I'll post what happens!