05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Painted Ford Radiator Cover

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/07, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted Ford Radiator Cover

I've seen a few people with painted radiator covers and now I see that Midwest is selling them. I'm curious as to how these are holding up. I'm concerned they will get scratched and or chipped.

I find myself putting things on the radiator cover whenever I work on the car and I can only imagine that when I take it to the dealer or anyone else for service, it would be even worse. I'd love to hear some feedback as to ow they are holding up from any one that has the painted radiator cover.
Old 1/9/07, 07:13 AM
GT Member

I painted mine with Krylon Fusion paint for plastic about a month ago and it is holding up great.
I have put tools on it and everything and so far so good.
Old 1/9/07, 09:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
I've got the midwest cover. It seems to be holding up fine. I have put tools on it when working on the car but have been very careful when placing them on the cover. I think that Midwest's paint job matches the body color perfectly and is much better than I could have done myself. I just took my car to the dealer today for a water leak problem and took it of and put the stock cover back on "just in case!". On a side note, I also took off all the other chrome/billet & other goodies (radiator cap, plenum cover, etc.) I had on as a precaution also.
Old 1/9/07, 09:06 AM

The paint chipped off where the hood prop rod lays. I think it comes form the fact that Midwest is just painting factory piece which has a textured finish that doesn't hold paint well.

Midwest says they may make "smooth" one for all us people who have went to hood lift system and don't need all prop rod stuff on cover.
Old 1/9/07, 12:02 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
John,
Any more info on their "smooth" radiator covers? I didn't see anything on the website.
Old 1/9/07, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't think that the dealer will care if you have chrome caps and a painted radiator cover.

Originally Posted by garyb900
I've got the midwest cover. It seems to be holding up fine. I have put tools on it when working on the car but have been very careful when placing them on the cover. I think that Midwest's paint job matches the body color perfectly and is much better than I could have done myself. I just took my car to the dealer today for a water leak problem and took it of and put the stock cover back on "just in case!". On a side note, I also took off all the other chrome/billet & other goodies (radiator cap, plenum cover, etc.) I had on as a precaution also.
Old 1/9/07, 04:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blackstang06
I don't think that the dealer will care if you have chrome caps and a painted radiator cover.
I meant that I took them off so the dealer wouldn't damage them "accidentally".
Old 1/9/07, 07:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
or not put them back on!
Old 1/9/07, 08:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by garyb900
I meant that I took them off so the dealer wouldn't damage them "accidentally".
lol, ok. I thought you were thinking that they would void your warrenty. Nevermind, I understand now.
Old 1/10/07, 05:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blackstang06
lol, ok. I thought you were thinking that they would void your warrenty. Nevermind, I understand now.
HA HA, that would be good. If they voided my warranty for having chrome caps I'd shove 'em down their throats and never buy a Ford again!