05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Painted Brake Calipers...................Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/06 | 08:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Painted Brake Calipers...................Finally!

I finally painted my brake calipers. After cleaning and degreasing them, I used Dupli-Color engine enamel. The color is "Ford Dark Blue" DE1606. I was going to mask them off then paint. It proved to be a pain, so I just brushed them. They came out very smooth. Here are some pics.

Did someone post something about a company that makes caliper decals? Seems like I saw a post about some small vinyl caliper decals on here somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails Painted Brake Calipers...................Finally!-calipers1.jpg   Painted Brake Calipers...................Finally!-calipers2.jpg   Painted Brake Calipers...................Finally!-calipers3.jpg  
Old 6/24/06 | 09:30 AM
GTR Member

Rob ,they look awesome.I was wanting to paint mine but not red.Thanks for being the guinea pig!!The decal on the calipers was in the interior section. I forget the guys name but hes the one with the expensive blue interior.
Old 6/24/06 | 11:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Looks great - nice work. I originally used the Duplicolor brush on method, and they looked good for a while but they don't wear well from my experience (others may have better luck). I need to get off my **** and pull the wheels and paint them properly with a spray can...one of these days
Old 6/24/06 | 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I used duplicolor and it chipped early on. Then I tried the G2 and it is some tough stuff. Never have had a chip. Downside is you have to do all 4 calipers back to back as the hardner you mix with the paint is only good for 4-6 hours, then it is unusable. Brake Caliper PaintSystem Set
Old 6/24/06 | 05:31 PM

copycat

Old 6/24/06 | 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
I finally painted my brake calipers. After cleaning and degreasing them, I used Dupli-Color engine enamel. The color is "Ford Dark Blue" DE1606. I was going to mask them off then paint. It proved to be a pain, so I just brushed them. They came out very smooth. Here are some pics.

Did someone post something about a company that makes caliper decals? Seems like I saw a post about some small vinyl caliper decals on here somewhere.
I don't believe the decals will hold over time due to the high operational temp of the caliper.

A better method would have been to apply the sticker (mustang logo or whatever) first, paint the caliper and peel off the sticker when the calipers dried...blue calipers with base silver logo.
Old 6/24/06 | 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Decals are from http://www.xenonmods.com/.

I installed the white Mustang letters on my front calipers that I painted black about 6 months ago. It's 500 degrees farenheit here every day (ok, maybe only 450 ) and they haven't even started to look remotely like they are starting to peel or wear in any negative way. It's a very subtle and so far durable mod. Plus, it's only $8, can't go wrong!
Old 6/25/06 | 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Xenon Brake decals also. They hold up real well. I am only now begining to see a small amount of wear on the MUSTANG lettering. The price is right also.
Old 6/25/06 | 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Rob ,they look awesome.I was wanting to paint mine but not red.Thanks for being the guinea pig!!The decal on the calipers was in the interior section. I forget the guys name but hes the one with the expensive blue interior.
Am I now known as "the expensive blue interior guy"?
Old 6/25/06 | 12:03 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by nole_trainer
Am I now known as "the expensive blue interior guy"?
Sorry dude .I had a brain fart when answering the question. Your reply cracked me up though!
Old 6/25/06 | 12:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Sorry dude .I had a brain fart when answering the question. Your reply cracked me up though!
NP - I still want that $1k steering wheel, so that's "MR. the guy that spends way too much money on his interior" from now on!!!

Oh yea, the answer to this original post has already been anwered. And my stickers are holding up well, but I only drive my car one day a week - Mustang Friday!
Old 6/25/06 | 07:34 PM
GT Member

Painted mine red this morning, think they look good.

Will post a pic when I can.
Old 7/24/06 | 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Did mine a few months ago, just never got to posting the pics. I used G2 and have had no issues. I went with the MUSTANG block lettering. Great mod, lots of compliments on them so far.
Attached Thumbnails Painted Brake Calipers...................Finally!-dsc03355-large-.jpg   Painted Brake Calipers...................Finally!-rear-brakes-large-.jpg   Painted Brake Calipers...................Finally!-front-brakes-large-.jpg  
Old 7/24/06 | 07:02 PM
GTR Member

Do you all think red would look alright with Tungsten or would it look:gay:

I really want to paint them but need opinions please
Old 7/24/06 | 07:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by BLT2RUN
Got mine done a few months ago, just never got to posting the pics. I used G2 and have had no issues. I went with the MUSTANG block lettering. Great mod, lots of compliments on them so far.
do you have any pics with your whole car so I can get the overall effect? Thanks
Your calipers look awesome by the way(I have no red on my car whatsoever other than brake and parking lights)
Old 7/25/06 | 03:34 PM
V6 Member

I used the Brake Caliper Paint kit from Eastwood (Don't remember the name). It is some hardcore stuff. I also used the "MUSTANG" decals on the front and back. It really sets the car off.
Old 7/25/06 | 03:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

I ALSO USED CALIPER PAINT FROM EASTWOOD GREAT STUFF. THIS WAS DONE 1 YEAR AGO . ALSO USED HAWK PADS HAD THE ROTORS SLOTTED AND GT SLOT CUT INTO THE ROTORS WITH THE SLOTS!
Old 7/25/06 | 04:36 PM

ive got the g2 caliper paint kit in red but im still too scared to do them. Is the brush that comes with the kit good or have u guys bought another one. also should i cover the rotors or anything else before i start? thanks for any info.
Old 7/25/06 | 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Step by step please

This looks like a cool mod. What are the steps that you take, any taping. What happens if any paint gets on the rotor? What do you paint? How many coats? I would probably go with the color of my car (or close facsimile).
Old 7/25/06 | 08:21 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by boss429man
I ALSO USED CALIPER PAINT FROM EASTWOOD GREAT STUFF. THIS WAS DONE 1 YEAR AGO . ALSO USED HAWK PADS HAD THE ROTORS SLOTTED AND GT SLOT CUT INTO THE ROTORS WITH THE SLOTS!
Lets see pics of that bad boy!!

Quick Reply: Painted Brake Calipers...................Finally!