05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

New Kaenen 3" cowl hood...finally!!!

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/07, 04:00 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Kaenen 3" cowl hood...finally!!!

Well, after waiting over 8 months for them to make this hood, I finally picked it up a last week. Now, I had them lay it in black gelcoat so as not to look too silly until I painted it so when you look at the pics you'll know it's not a bad paint job it just still needs paint.

They now have a few of these made in the shop so if you are interested give them a buzz. For those of you that aren't familiar with the Kaenen brothers, they have been making hoods and other fiberglass parts for Mustangs and other cars for years now. They are also the manufacturers of the Steeda hoods which is basically what this is but in 3" form. The hoods are going for $459.00 which includes the squirter nozzle relocation and fully finished underside as you can see on the inside pic. Hope you like.

Mike

http://www.kaenen.com/

Old 5/2/07, 07:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like it! A little more aggresive than the Steeda!
Old 5/2/07, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Goodness. That looks awesome. Aggressive as hell!
Old 5/2/07, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your ride is SINISTER! Now upgrade the brakes and it will scare people!
Old 5/2/07, 08:59 PM
Cobra Member

Man looks reeeally good! Hey random question but do you have any problems with your headlight blackouts popping out a little?
Old 5/3/07, 09:39 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the comments everybody!

WuTimeUT,

Yeah, the passenger side pops out a little. Not too big of a deal for me, especially since I am taking them off. I was using my foglights as headlights but I am deleting my fogs so I am going back to normal headlights and maybe throw on a set of those 3D Carbon splitters.
Old 5/3/07, 04:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Can you use hood struts with your hood?
Old 5/3/07, 09:44 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Geeze - taking pictures over at 5th ave are we?

Looks good, I'm surprised 3" looks that good on the car, I'd have figured it would have been too much. I wish Kip could get our Mach1 hood done...
Old 5/4/07, 08:17 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Can you use hood struts with your hood?
Not sure about the hood struts. I have actually wanted to do that myself but was reading somewhere that the glass hoods may warp over time with those things.

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Geeze - taking pictures over at 5th ave are we?

Looks good, I'm surprised 3" looks that good on the car, I'd have figured it would have been too much. I wish Kip could get our Mach1 hood done...
Not 5th Ave...the burned down O-Club at PAFB. I too was a little worried it would be too much but I am very pleased with it. I know what you mean about waiting for your hood...I had requested they make this hood back in August of last year. Totally worth the wait in my mind though. I did however see a Mach 1 hood that was either done or near completion in their shop. You may want to give them a ring.

Btw, I wish I would've seen your window louvers prior to picking mine up. Those are sweet! I saw them on Brandon's car. Nice work!
Old 5/4/07, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

What do they recommend about the hood pins? I just don't feel safe at anything over 75mph!!! I moves around sooo much at anything above that. Do they feel that over time the area where the bracket mount will weaken??
Old 5/4/07, 10:14 AM
V6 Member

Well, that's a good question. They do recommend hoodpins but say they aren't absolutely necessary. The hood should hold, however the latch is attached to fiberglass unlike previous hoods that I purchased from them on older Stangs of mine which had a metal bracket on the inside of the hood where the bracket attached.

I personally am going with pins. I've had a hood fly off before causing lots of cosmetic damage so I can't concievably not put them on this hood. My personal dislike of the pins is outweighed by the risk of damage to my car. Spend a little now or spend alot later you know?
Old 5/4/07, 02:16 PM
GT Member

how much did it cost to paint the hood? i just had a bad experience with having mine painted. doesnt match
Old 5/4/07, 06:14 PM
V6 Member

Well, I'll let you know next week. I drop the car off Monday for paint.
Old 5/4/07, 11:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice! Good idea on the hood pins. It does look just like the steeda, besides the extra 1/2" on the cowl. I just put the Steeda on mine last week. Installed with the MRT hood struts also.
I like being able to see my strut tower bar when driving, lol
Old 5/5/07, 02:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Nice hood, I have a Harwood 3" cowl on my Lightning so I wanted something different on the Pony. I went with a ram air hood from Cervini's.
Old 5/5/07, 08:10 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Nice! Good idea on the hood pins. It does look just like the steeda, besides the extra 1/2" on the cowl. I just put the Steeda on mine last week. Installed with the MRT hood struts also.
I like being able to see my strut tower bar when driving, lol
I know what you mean. I like being able to see my air filter for the Procharger. Before, I actually had imprints of the filter on my hood blanket where it was being suffocated and pressed against. So this is not only an asthetic improvement but I gotta think a performance one as well. In fact, I think I remember reading somewhere where AFM did a before and after and got great results with a simple hood swap on their Procharged car.
Old 5/7/07, 09:14 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by QuikStang
I know what you mean about waiting for your hood...I had requested they make this hood back in August of last year. Totally worth the wait in my mind though. I did however see a Mach 1 hood that was either done or near completion in their shop. You may want to give them a ring.

Btw, I wish I would've seen your window louvers prior to picking mine up. Those are sweet! I saw them on Brandon's car. Nice work!
Thanks - you can always switch to the "dark side" and sell your brand-x louvers on eBay Heck, if I had the time, I'd do a "swap" deal for customers... hmmm... maybe later this year !!

On the hood - it's been in that state for... ever. They are so busy with Steeda stuff that a "little guy" like us doesn't get any attention, which is bad, because we don't plan on being little for too much longer the way we're going. With our new machining center on the way, we've got a lot more coming soon.

Are you coming to Stangfest next month at Daytona? If you're anywhere close, you should make it up there for it, should be a big event.
Old 5/8/07, 05:24 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Thanks - you can always switch to the "dark side" and sell your brand-x louvers on eBay Heck, if I had the time, I'd do a "swap" deal for customers... hmmm... maybe later this year !!

On the hood - it's been in that state for... ever. They are so busy with Steeda stuff that a "little guy" like us doesn't get any attention, which is bad, because we don't plan on being little for too much longer the way we're going. With our new machining center on the way, we've got a lot more coming soon.

Are you coming to Stangfest next month at Daytona? If you're anywhere close, you should make it up there for it, should be a big event.
Definately considering the selling of mine and picking up your louvers. As far as Stangfest, yeah...I am going. A bunch of us are getting together to ride up in force from Melbourne.