05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Need TMS'ers thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/06, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, ever since finding this site you folks have pretty much helped me build my car. 99% of my ideas have come from TMS. A year ago when I saw peter1966's car (white w/blue stripes), I had to have that combo. So I ordered the Perf White with the intent of doint blue stripes. I did my interior (crazy to some) with that theme in mind. I have found other mods that I just love, and now my car is pretty much one of a kind.

My problem now is the cost of stripes (painted for me is the only way to go), and a new baby is on the way and wifey says no more money (for now) on the car. So here's my question: Should I just keep my car the way it is? Or to add some blue, add rocker panel stripes (in vinyl)? Would it look out of place to have no top stripes? I really do like my car the way it is - it has grown on me, but I still think blue is needed on the exterior, to tie the interior together. Here's my lazy photo chop...........
Old 3/2/06, 07:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nole_trainer @ March 2, 2006, 9:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
OK, ever since finding this site you folks have pretty much helped me build my car. 99% of my ideas have come from TMS. A year ago when I saw peter1966's car (white w/blue stripes), I had to have that combo. So I ordered the Perf White with the intent of doint blue stripes. I did my interior (crazy to some) with that theme in mind. I have found other mods that I just love, and now my car is pretty much one of a kind.

My problem now is the cost of stripes (painted for me is the only way to go), and a new baby is on the way and wifey says no more money (for now) on the car. So here's my question: Should I just keep my car the way it is? Or to add some blue, add rocker panel stripes (in vinyl)? Would it look out of place to have no top stripes? I really do like my car the way it is - it has grown on me, but I still think blue is needed on the exterior, to tie the interior together. Here's my lazy photo chop...........
[/b][/quote]
I agree with your concept. I plan on adding only rocker stripes at some point - probably in white or silver on my Mineral Grey GT coupe. In keeping with the retro theme, let me remind everyone that the early GTs (65 - 69) had ONLY rocker stripes. The Shelbys were the only early cars with racing stripes until the Bosses and Machs came along in 69-70 and beyond. Even the 80s and 90s GT cars only had rocker stripes.

A good set of plain rocker stripes are available from Graphics Express for as little as $69.95. And they're not terribly difficult to install and require no upkeep. I had a set on my '69 for 8 years and sold the car with them looking as good then as when they went on.
Old 3/2/06, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Well to get rid of the naysayers...here is a pic of a 1967 GT350 straight off the timeline on this site

No top lemans stripes, only rally stripes

[attachmentid=46263]
Old 3/2/06, 08:21 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well to match your interior theme you go with that 72 Sprint look you commented on before. Painting it would cost much less (than doing a full body stripe) as you are only doing part of the hood. And your car would be a 1 of kind (only one on TMS at least).

You could also do a Red, White, and Blue side stripe (see below)
Old 3/2/06, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shelby only put the rocker stripes on his cars, as I understand. The over-the-top LeMans stripes were installed (or not) by the dealers. The 2007 Shelby will probably be the same way, with only the rocker stripes from the factory. I think they look just fine. My original intention was to do both, just like you, but once I got started modding, I kinda liked my car without the LeMans stripes. Now I no longer intend to put them on at all. See my album for pics. I think more stripes would be one-mod-too-many. (For me, anyway.)

Shelby only put the rocker stripes on his cars, as I understand. The over-the-top LeMans stripes were installed (or not) by the dealers. The 2007 Shelby will probably be the same way, with only the rocker stripes from the factory. I think they look just fine. My original intention was to do both, just like you, but once I got started modding, I kinda liked my car without the LeMans stripes. Now I no longer intend to put them on at all. See my album for pics. I think more stripes would be one-mod-too-many. (For me, anyway.)
Old 3/2/06, 11:20 PM

Luke, as you already have the possibly the best looking car (I am a little biased) I think
you should take a different approach than the masses. Those Sprint hood stripes would
really complete the White/Blue look. I don't think you need the side stripes. It would be
more unique without them.
Old 3/2/06, 11:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

THANKS!!! Just what I needed to read, now just doing rockers makes sense. Jim your car looks great, I saw your pixs before, but they did not come to mind when I started this topic. Now I'm happy again.

And keeping with AFBLUE's idea, I added this pix. The only problem I have with this idea, is it going to make me wish I had full stripes??
Old 3/3/06, 06:24 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Not if you are intentionally going for the Sprint look
Old 3/3/06, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK, rocker measurements.......too big????

4" middle, 1" top/bottom, 1/2" gap
Old 3/3/06, 12:37 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The one drawback to getting side stripes only is at first glance it'll appear to be a V6. Yes, I know the stripes are different and their are other differences. I'm just saying "at first glance" because that will become the most prominent feature of the car and the very first thing people notice.

As for the size, those measurements are WAY TOO BIG, in my opinion. Stick with the original '65 dimensions. Those are the same ones used on the '07 Shelby.
Old 3/3/06, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK, cleaning problem solved. Now back to stripe measurements, I really want something bigger than the original measurements (kind of like peter1966's car). Any happy medium measurement suggestions?

What would you think these measurements are?
Old 3/3/06, 09:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

I wanted the same stripes as on the original Shelbys so I measured the rocker panel stripes on a friend's 68
Shelby GT500KR. They are the same as the drawing a few posts above. They came out just as I expected. I also went without any lettering because if someone doesn't already know it's a Mustang they probably can't read anyway. What do you think?[attachmentid=46314][attachmentid=46315]
Old 3/3/06, 09:02 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the stripe appears to be too high, but that's just my opinion and I think it's just because of the GT rocker panel. However, I love the color combo. The stripes look great with the black-out panel.

Here's a photochop I did with the above measurements.
Old 3/4/06, 04:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ March 3, 2006, 11:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think the stripe appears to be too high, but that's just my opinion and I think it's just because of the GT rocker panel. However, I love the color combo. The stripes look great with the black-out panel.

Here's a photochop I did with the above measurements.
[/b][/quote]

Jason, you might have me with that pix. Does that follow the body line, the hockey stick, or the top edge of the rocker panel? Is it your opinion that a stripe should go in between body line and the hockey stick? I'm still thinking that I want mine a little bit bigger, something a little bit different from the rest of the crowd. But smaller that my original idea of 4". Thanks again, boy am I glad the vinyl guy did not know what he was doing - gives me the weekend to think about all of this..........
Old 3/4/06, 06:24 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nole_trainer @ March 4, 2006, 6:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Jason, you might have me with that pix. Does that follow the body line, the hockey stick, or the top edge of the rocker panel? Is it your opinion that a stripe should go in between body line and the hockey stick? I'm still thinking that I want mine a little bit bigger, something a little bit different from the rest of the crowd. But smaller that my original idea of 4". Thanks again, boy am I glad the vinyl guy did not know what he was doing - gives me the weekend to think about all of this..........
[/b][/quote]
I think you are on the right track, but my opinion is a little biased. I added only the rocker stripe, and added in the Mustang letters on the fender, like the 65/66 GT's. I placed the stripe as low as I could without interfering with the bottom skirt where it wraps around the front wheel well.
Old 3/4/06, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Steve, looks good. Is that red or orange?
Old 3/4/06, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Steve,

I have similar idea for my Black Vert. When the weather warms up, I want to put on red racing stripes, but with the cutout for the stock GT emblem. The original holes in the fender will be covered with the Pony-Package running horse emblems.

What color red is your stripe. It almost looks like the Tomato Red color. Attached is a photoshop version that I used to plan the look. I was leaning toward the cardinal red color.
Old 3/4/06, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My rocker stripe follows the lower edge of the hockey stick. Even after having one coil cut from my rear springs, the stripe still slants uphill. You may like that look, or you may want to follow the rocker moulding instead ,to make your stripes more level. I think I'd do that if I did it over again, but I'm not disappointed in the way they turned out.
Old 3/4/06, 01:37 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

quick photo shop of 72 sprint style stripes on a 06.
Old 3/4/06, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AFBLUE @ March 4, 2006, 3:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
quick photo shop of 72 sprint style stripes on a 06.
[/b][/quote]

Stop now!!!!! That looks really good, I will take it into consideration. Do you guys think it looks aggressive, or on the whimpy side [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Need TMS'ers thoughts